Unpopular Cricket Opinions

Remove this Banner Ad

How batshit boring is the big bash right now. Apart from mr cricket and Klingers digs there hasn't been much.
Interesting night to bring it up, great game between the Stars and the Heat.

Ryan Duffield > Nathan Coulter-Nile

Not just basing this off Duffield's performance tonight, either. Have thought this for a few years. Kind of puzzled why Duffield doesn't get more of a go for WA.

really?

Might have seemed ridiculous for a while, but I think Jinks Rahane will be the next long-term Indian captain while Kohli is allowed to just bat. Jinks is much cooler and calmer, better to lead the side.

Yeah.

Duffield just seems to have a bit more variety. Reminds me a bit of Bollinger.

By comparison, from the times I've seen him bowl, something about Coulter-Nile just doesn't impress me that much.

They both came through about the same time and each had excellent starts to their domestic careers. I think Duffield may have been the quickest to 50 wickets ever for WA, but he tailed away a bit after that and with our pretty strong fast bowling stocks fell behind. Probably would have got opportunities in the shield this year if not for the emergence of Mackin. A case could be made for his inclusion to vary the attack as a left arm swing bowler, but Behrendorff is clearly a long way ahead right now and with Paris' successful stint in the OD cup he may have to move interstate.

I really don't understand the dislike for Coulter-Nile on bigfooty? He's taken lots of wickets at domestic level at a good average and strike rate, proven his effectiveness in all three formats of the game, one of the quickest going around in state cricket who's capable of intimidating top order batsmen in the shield, has a lovely action for generating pace with a hint of away swing and has performed creditably in the chances he has had at international level. I just can't fathom calls like those above rating Cutting and Duffield above him

NCN and Cutting are both very good bowlers, although Cutting has been off the boil last couple of seasons. IMO NCN is a better bowler than Cutting ever was, but Cutting was closer to a test cap due to lack of options a few years back. Was 12th or 13th man to start the 10/11 Ashes.

Duffield is a good solid state bowler but there is no international potential there. Doesn't have the penetration.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

- the dislike of channel 9 commentary from the wider cricket public has descended from genuine dislike and disdain at the commentary standard to a fashionable means of people noting themselves as someone who has an above average level of cricket knowledge

- Virat kohli is more likeable than david warner (obviously both are outstanding batsman, not knocking warner's batting in the slightest)

Last edited:
Yeah.

Duffield just seems to have a bit more variety. Reminds me a bit of Bollinger.

By comparison, from the times I've seen him bowl, something about Coulter-Nile just doesn't impress me that much.

Duffield has been out of shape for quite a while. Looks like he's got himself into better knick now, so might have a chance of some shield games.

Sledging doesn't work anywhere near as well as some might have you believe, in fact it can be detremental to your game. Just look at Warner and Johnson, both have spent as much time talking about sledging as on the field and neither are producing anywhere near the level they were before they started talking it up.

Warner - started talking things up after Adelaide every chance he could get and has scored 75 runs in 4 innings since.
Johnson - been very talkative, but apart from the spell in Brisbane during the Indian 2nd innings, has been getting either tailenders or batsman playing wildly at balls that should be left alone. Hasn't troubled the Indian batsmen anywhere near what Ch9 commentary team and press would have you believe.

Sledging doesn't work anywhere near as well as some might have you believe, in fact it can be detremental to your game. Just look at Warner and Johnson, both have spent as much time talking about sledging as on the field and neither are producing anywhere near the level they were before they started talking it up.

Warner - started talking things up after Adelaide every chance he could get and has scored 75 runs in 4 innings since.
Johnson - been very talkative, but apart from the spell in Brisbane during the Indian 2nd innings, has been getting either tailenders or batsman playing wildly at balls that should be left alone. Hasn't troubled the Indian batsmen anywhere near what Ch9 commentary team and press would have you believe.
That one spell in Brisbane aside, Johnson has been very listless this series. I'm not sure he's a smart enough cricketer to be able to bowl well without having pure pace. He'll struggle in England I suspect and unless there is a third coming, it could be downhill very quickly for him.

That one spell in Brisbane aside, Johnson has been very listless this series. I'm not sure he's a smart enough cricketer to be able to bowl well without having pure pace. He'll struggle in England I suspect and unless there is a third coming, it could be downhill very quickly for him.
Intellegence and Mitchell Johnson are two words that I defintiely would never of put in the same sentence, similarly Warner fits the same bill.

Agree with that. Has been a fair bit down on pace really

Duffield has been out of shape for quite a while. Looks like he's got himself into better knick now, so might have a chance of some shield games.

Yeah he does look a bit on the portly side. Could see him porking out during the off-season. Hopefully he can stay in shape, because he looks like he's got talent, even if it is only state-level talent.

Alright here's some more unpopular opinions:
Cricket has become too favourable for the batsman!
Bring back playing on uncovered pitches, and we should be able to play through light rain too.
There should be greater restrictions on the thickness of cricket bats, so players who middle the ball get greater reward than hacks who just swing hard
Also benefit of the doubt going to the batsman is no-where in the rule book!

Alright here's some more unpopular opinions:
Cricket has become too favourable for the batsman!
Bring back playing on uncovered pitches, and we should be able to play through light rain too.
There should be greater restrictions on the thickness of cricket bats, so players who middle the ball get greater reward than hacks who just swing hard
Also benefit of the doubt going to the batsman is no-where in the rule book!

I don't think any of those are unpopular.

Remove this Banner Ad

Unpopular Cricket Opinions

Remove this Banner Ad

Back