Up the Arse! Goons Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

The good news is, our season has died now, rather than at the final hurdle so we don't get our hopes up. Unfortunately it is more of the same. We don't have blips in form, we have absolute craters that it takes weeks to get out of, but which time too much damage is done.

On the basis of outlay, Havertz is shaping up as the worst signing in the club's history. Listening to Elliott Smith on the Arseblog podcast on the weekend articulate why we have a repeat of the Wenger situation with Arteta and there is no chance of him being moved on depressed the hell out of me.

Time to move the little angry man on
Play ball square repeat
Play out to saka cut in on left foot repeat
Play out to martinelli cut in on right foot repeat
Pass back to Odegaard repeat

We have never needed a striker more than we do now.

I held some hope that Arteta would show the same ruthlessness to Nketiah as he has with Ramsdale, and sold him to Palace this window. However yet another knee injury to Jesus has likely quashed that. Nketiah will feature heavily from here I think (even though I’d prefer Trossard as next in line).

Arteta definitely learned that from Pep.

It may just be unlucky coincidence but we've had quite a few stretches where we concede with just about every shot on target.

Maybe when the defensive structure breaks down, it breaks down really badly?

Last edited:
Arteta definitely learned that from Pep.

It may just be unlucky coincidence but we've had quite a few stretches where we concede with just about every shot on target.

Maybe when the defensive structure breaks down, it breaks down really badly?

On SM-A715F using BigFooty.com mobile app

During those stretches at City, has it been the same defensive line up? Or does Pep make changes?

It’s a hard one to pinpoint why. Aside from LB, it’s been the same back 5 for Arsenal. And there aren’t too many ‘howlers’ at the back that standout. Defensively Arsenal have been excellent this season. And I thought Ramsdale was very good yesterday.

Could just be one of those things that happens in football.

The goals have dried up at Arsenal, which then causes all of these other conversations to branch off.

During those stretches at City, has it been the same defensive line up? Or does Pep make changes?

It’s a hard one to pinpoint why. Aside from LB, it’s been the same back 5 for Arsenal. And there aren’t too many ‘howlers’ at the back that standout. Defensively Arsenal have been excellent this season. And I thought Ramsdale was very good yesterday.

Could just be one of those things that happens in football.

The goals have dried up at Arsenal, which then causes all of these other conversations to branch off.
The goals against Liverpool were an own goal and a Diaz strike rifled into the top corner. Most keepers are not saving that. Needs to be some context on how those goals were conceded/went in.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The good news is, our season has died now, rather than at the final hurdle so we don't get our hopes up. Unfortunately it is more of the same. We don't have blips in form, we have absolute craters that it takes weeks to get out of, but which time too much damage is done.

On the basis of outlay, Havertz is shaping up as the worst signing in the club's history. Listening to Elliott Smith on the Arseblog podcast on the weekend articulate why we have a repeat of the Wenger situation with Arteta and there is no chance of him being moved on depressed the hell out of me.

Arteta for me is a very good modern day manager. His tactics are pretty spot on.

Just needs to get his man management sorted. He needs to find a way to get those players out of favor with him fighting for him and the team. That way they are either contributing or able to be sold at a reasonable price to recover investment on new signings.

Ramsdale for example really should be sold this window before he spends too long on the bench and loses value. Find another younger home grown keeper to be Raya's #2.

Havertz transfer to me seemed quite bizarre. I believe the only other real interest in him was from Bayern and they weren't prepared to go past 35-40m. Not sure who Arsenal were really competing against for Havertz' signature and Chelsea needed to offload for squad / FFP reasons.

The goals against Liverpool were an own goal and a Diaz strike rifled into the top corner. Most keepers are not saving that. Needs to be some context on how those goals were conceded/went in.

Yes those goals I don’t believe Ramsdale could do much about. He was quite good actually and seemed to have a spring in his step. Made an excellent save earlier against Diaz and if Nelson was slightly sharper with that ball in the 2nd minute, would’ve had an assist to his name as well.

Here's my issue - Nelson, Jesus, Smith-Rowe, Trossard, Martinelli, Viera - they are all the same type of player. Clones of each other. Therefore their point of difference to each other isn't their skillset, but their form/confidence. It is for this reason that I was all for the Havertz signing. He is a point of difference. So when people speak about selling players - Nketiah always comes up - but I would start with culling two from the list above and bringing in someone like Onana from Everton. Just because it creates diversity within the squad. I feel that would go a long way to overcoming this sense of predictability that's pervaded our game.

And for the sake of the discussion - I'd sell Nelson and Smith-Rowe. Guaranteed £60m.

And for the sake of the discussion - I'd sell Nelson and Smith-Rowe. Guaranteed £60m

Where are you getting that number from? Nelson was available for free before being re-signed and there was no interest. Villa offered £25m for ESR two windows ago, and he had done nothing to increase his value since then.

Arsenal pay top $ in salaries, making it hard to move players unless to other top clubs, and fringe players at Arsenal are hardly going to attract interest from those clubs.

Where are you getting that number from? Nelson was available for free before being re-signed and there was no interest. Villa offered £25m for ESR two windows ago, and he had done nothing to increase his value since then.

Arsenal pay top $ in salaries, making it hard to move players unless to other top clubs, and fringe players at Arsenal are hardly going to attract interest from those clubs.
Optimism...

Just needs to get his man management sorted. He needs to find a way to get those players out of favor with him fighting for him and the team. That way they are either contributing or able to be sold at a reasonable price to recover investment on new signings.

Yes this has been an issue for a few seasons now. Arsenal are notoriously poor at selling players, not helped by Arteta tanking their value by freezing them out.

Despite all of the investment and turnover in the squad. With Arteta been given full backing by the club to be curate the squad to his preference, it often feels like (for a combination of reasons), that the squad gets whittled down to the same XI plus Tomiyasu off the bench. He really needs to improve this area of his management.

The David Raya loan/purchase is a pretty big blunder by arteta, he’s gotta wear that one

Tbf he’s got a lot right, the Raya situation is a mess though

Yes especially when it comes to the question of utilising resources effectively. We’ve now seen how hamstrung Arsenal are after consecutive windows of significant spending (even 12 months we spent approx £60m in the January window).

Not having more sales to be able to offset this (of which Arteta also needs to wear responsibility with the way he freezes players out and tanks their value) catches up after a while.

Ornstein/Fabrizio recently said that Arsenal’s next commitment is to finalise the Raya deal. £30m owed to Brentford as soon as those funds become available.

So when you look at this through the lens of “did we really need to commit that final amount of money at this point in time on a new GK, instead of elsewhere within the squad?”, I can’t help but feel this whole situation didn’t need to happen.

Yes, but the flip side is that if Ramsdale wishes to leave, we'll get premium dollars for him. He is a very good keeper and he helps teams with the English Quota. Ultimately, we haven't 'lost' any quality and we potentially make a profit on Ramsdale.

What marks this era differently to previous teams is that if we need to sell to pad out the coffers, we can with players of value - as opposed to players past their use by date.

I know people are scratching their heads at why we got Raya, but if I am perfectly honest, I don't really care who's in goal between the two. Neither are better or worse than the other. So, maybe it's time we put on our business lenses and see what money can be made.

Yes, but the flip side is that if Ramsdale wishes to leave, we'll get premium dollars for him. He is a very good keeper and he helps teams with the English Quota. Ultimately, we haven't 'lost' any quality and we potentially make a profit on Ramsdale.

What marks this era differently to previous teams is that if we need to sell to pad out the coffers, we can with players of value - as opposed to players past their use by date.

I know people are scratching their heads at why we got Raya, but if I am perfectly honest, I don't really care who's in goal between the two. Neither are better or worse than the other. So, maybe it's time we put on our business lenses and see what money can be made.
But that’s the issue? We didn’t need to spend 60m on a keeper that’s the same quality. We could have put that towards buying a striker that we need now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Up the Arse! Goons Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back