US Holiday

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are you kidding? The food in NY is fantastic, especially the pizza.

I actually had vietnemese last night, not expecting much given the amazing viet I get in melbourne. Anyway it was brilliant. I have not had a bad meal here. I rate the food very highly. Not only that but groceries are cheap and very good. I bought a weeks suppply of organic fruit and veg (rasberries, strawberries, blueberries, cantelope, chard, red/orange/yellow/green capsicum, broccoli and much more) for $40. I would have paid atleast double that in melbourne.

The food here rocks (again, ESPECIALLY the pizza - my god!!)

ps. you get 2 punnets of rasberries for $5. In australia you would pay atleast 3 times that. Australia is a very expensive country. Even more expensive than london in terms of groceries.

:mad:

But how can you live in a place where the food is SO UNHEALTHY!?!??!

I skipped about 3 meals in 3 days when I was in NY because I knew 2 meals a day was double for my daily intake of fat

Didn't realize this thread had become so good... Legit question... Will our dollar see parity again with the US now that it has slipped back under a dollar?

Didn't realize this thread had become so good... Legit question... Will our dollar see parity again with the US now that it has slipped back under a dollar?

The world economy is linked to my travel itinerary.

I moved to england on the aussie dollar when it was at it's weakest and the pound was going gangbusters - the exchange rate was something like $3 to the pound.

Also travelled around europe when the euro was strong.

Travelled to the states on the pound as the usd was up and the pound had weakened. I then had american dollars and as i flew home, somewhere over the pacific the usd went down the aussie dollar was up.

For some time now the aussie dollar has been strong against the usd and as I'm here (us) I just find out (from this thread) that the aussie dollar is now weaker than the us.

I should sell my travel itinerary.

Nobody really knows.

If interest rates are dropped here, which they doubt will happen, then our dollar will drop further.

It's a supply and demand market, and in times of uncertainty most people will move into the safest currency, being the US dollar.

It's such a speculative market though, and you would get a number of different answers.

I'm praying the dollar stays strong for a few more months at least

Have you been to williamsburg? I'm staying here again and I can honestly say that i would move here in a second. It is so homey. Kicks the shit out of manhattan.

Nah never been there.
I don't think I could live in the country at all though. I love the place as a travel destination. Much prefer here though.

Hey guys.

We have booked everything except our New York accommodation and are considering using a website called HouseTrip.com

Has anyone used this website before and can anyone vouch for its usefulness and overall efficiency?

The world economy is linked to my travel itinerary.

I moved to england on the aussie dollar when it was at it's weakest and the pound was going gangbusters - the exchange rate was something like $3 to the pound.

Also travelled around europe when the euro was strong.

Travelled to the states on the pound as the usd was up and the pound had weakened. I then had american dollars and as i flew home, somewhere over the pacific the usd went down the aussie dollar was up.

For some time now the aussie dollar has been strong against the usd and as I'm here (us) I just find out (from this thread) that the aussie dollar is now weaker than the us.

I should sell my travel itinerary.

South America is cheap (except the Machu Picchu)

So is somewhere on the Indochina area

Oh and you meet lots of people in financial difficulties on your travels
Before you yourself eventually fall victim to it :mad:

Hey guys.

We have booked everything except our New York accommodation and are considering using a website called HouseTrip.com

Has anyone used this website before and can anyone vouch for its usefulness and overall efficiency?

Just had a look - seems ok but the website seems a bit clunky - have a look at airbnb.com let syou choose your area.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Damn, I wish I could have advised you on areas.

Never mind, atleast you'll have great subway access to other areas :)

We'll be out and about so much we won't really mind the location. The apartment is just for sleeping.

It's probably been raised before but I'm not trawling through 47 pages....

Who's been to the Grand Canyon and more importantly who did people book with? I've seen a few different tour coaches and I have to say all the websites look a bit dodgy.

Who's been to the Grand Canyon and more importantly who did people book with? I've seen a few different tour coaches and I have to say all the websites look a bit dodgy.

I went, while on a road trip with my family. I seriously just recommend renting a car and going it alone. The countryside is AMAZING and there's a lot of great hiking in the area that you would miss on a bus tour. Also just quirky smaller cities in that region like Flagstaff are worth checking out.

I went, while on a road trip with my family. I seriously just recommend renting a car and going it alone. The countryside is AMAZING and there's a lot of great hiking in the area that you would miss on a bus tour. Also just quirky smaller cities in that region like Flagstaff are worth checking out.

If I was traveling with a group of mates I'd consider hiring a car but

a)I'm not confident to go driving off in the desert alone not know where I have to go... especially if I'm hung over ;)

b)Hiring a car and paying for fuel would probably end up costing me more in the long run than going on a day tour.

I've been once and supposed to have been twice.
The first time was with an overnight tour company. They were pretty good. Picked me up from my hotel early morning and then took a small plane over to the canyon. Spent time on the South rim and stayed the night. Flew back to Vegas the next day.

The second time I was booked to go with grandcanyontourcompany.com, who are supposed to be an official company and the best. DONT USE THEM!
They didn't pick us up and left us waiting in a hotel lobby for 6 hours while they very poorly organised accommodation for us for the night. I don't normally recommend not to use a business but I would steer away from these guys. Nothing but negatives to say about them.

When we were there last year we used http://www.maverickhelicopter.com/ and did this tour http://www.maverickhelicopter.com/tour-dream-catcher.aspx although I would highly recommend going to the south rim, as much as we had a ball I feel like we missed out on something. So when we go over next time we will definitely be going to the south rim.

Anyone know of any cheap but not nasty accomodations in New York City? Don't mind paying a bit but nothing over $100 a night. Ability to get to MSG easily is an advantage.

On that budget, HI New York in a dorm room is probably your best bet.

MSG is above a subway station, so it is easy to get to from anywhere (as is anything in Manhattan).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back