Grand Slam US Open 2022 (29 Aug-11 Sept)

Remove this Banner Ad

Would have been interesting to see how many Grand Slams Williams would have won with if Justine Henin hadn't retired at only 26, she was the only player I can remember who could really trouble Williams and actually had a winning record against Williams in Grand Slams, although it was only 4-3 so you could say the rivalry never really hit the heights of other great GS rivalries.

Justine Henin is probably my favourite female tennis player after Ash Barty...essentially the female version of Federer ;)

Serena is one of the greatest, if not the greatest the sport of women's tennis has produced. She lifted the sport to a level where everyone else had to lift to match her level. Anyone can define the greatest in their own terms, but what stands Serena in such a good position to claim that title is how she changed the game. Look at women's tennis pre Serena to post Serena. A completely different sport. Serena forced others to raise their power and athleticism. She has all the shots, is a great doubles player, won 37 slams, multiple Olympic golds, multiple slams on all surfaces. Her serve is phenomenal.

She played through eras including the end of graf, Hingis, capriati, Davenport, henin, Clijsters, Venus, Sharapova, Osaka, mauresmo and many more.

She has kept the sport in the spotlight in one of the biggest tennis markets in the world in the USA.

She had some key controversial moments without doubt. The matches in New York against Clijsters, Osaka and Stosur are the sour notes. But in a 25 year career with such a huge spotlight on her throughout, she leaves the sport with many more highs.

And I would argue that Federer has the same effect on the men's side of tennis - he took it to the next level and made it where you had to be proficient in all aspects of tennis, across all courts :).

NK is just essential world sport viewing at the moment.
Has there ever been an Australian athlete so talented, yet such a headcase?

You either watch him play the best tennis in the world, or completely implode at his own box because they didn't clap at the appropriate tempo. It's a win either way.

Kyrgios is by far the most talented player since Federer imo.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nadal looks abit vulnerable this time around and I think Alcaraz has something to prove in this Grand Slam.

Possibly that side of the draw who knows. Still don’t trust Rafa and so love him serving is terrible although last match was a mile better.

Nick could go top ten in rankings pretty soon if he keeps this form up

He would need to win it since his intention is to return to Australia when this tournie finishes.

Don't think he's playing any more tournies - except (maybe) Laver Cup which won't give him ranking points.

He would need to win it since his intention is to return to Australia when this tournie finishes.

Don't think he's playing any more tournies - except (maybe) Laver Cup which won't give him ranking points.

I don't think Nick is playing Laver Cup this year (although I know that De Minaur is participating).

I'd say Nadal still looms large. Quite amazingly at his age.

But Kyrgios has the game and talent to beat anyone. It's whether we trust his mental game when things aren't going his way.

Nadal will always be a threat until the day he retires haha.

Remove this Banner Ad

Grand Slam US Open 2022 (29 Aug-11 Sept)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back