Travel USA travel tips and tricks

Remove this Banner Ad

Markets are saying:
25% chance of the Fed increasing it 3 times which would get the cash rate at our 1.5% providing we don't touch ours
34% chance we'll raise our rates against a 3% chance we'll lower them

Getting anywhere near 50c seems pie in the sky type scenarios, at least for next year. The big unknown is how the world will react to Donald when he takes office.

I just booked 5 weeks in August/Sept and cant wait to head back... LA>roadtrip across to Utah via Yosemite>Seattle>Cuba>LA.

I'm back there in October and the dollar is my only concern at the moment.

Didn't realise accommodation was so bloody expensive! Here I was thinking $100 per night for a half-decent single room would be possible

*adds more money to holiday account* :oops:

$100 a night will still get you a very nice room at a very good hotel. It's not going to be the Ritz-Carlton but it won't be an motel 6 either.

Looking very unlikely to be the case in half of the places I am traveling - unless I wanted to stay 20 minutes+ drive away from any action.

Can you remind me where you are going again?

Are you going to have a car or use public transport?

If you have a car, 20 minutes is nothing. In say New York City, traveling 20 minutes is like going from the Adelaide Trainstation to North Adelaide

LA > San Fran > Seattle > Portland > Vegas > Albuquerque > Austin > New Orleans > Chicago > NYC

Replace Chicago with Miami now though, due to friends in Chicago being away.

I guess, just jump on Hotel Combined or Hotel Search and do some digging.

The sooner you want to stay somewhere, the more expensive it is.

Peak seasons (Christmas, Summer, 4th of July, Thanks Giving) I would bee very early.

It just depends on the dates you are going now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Love both cities. Curious as to what about Chicago you're disinterested in?

What does the city lack for you?

Well I'll clarify, when I say it doesn't interest me I mean I didn't have it picked in my top 10 cities because there is nothing there that interests me, or the group I'm going with, that we can't do in other cities. I've heard it's expensive (looks like everywhere is) and the weather is average. We want to see, do and experience things in the cities chosen. We were only ever going there to catch up with a friend for a night or 2. I'm sure I would've enjoyed it, just like I'm sure I'll enjoy everywhere I go.

Alright. Going to Europe (second trip) and the US (for the first time) next year. Rough plan is the middle of June to middle of July for Europe and the UK, then pissing off to the states.

I want to spend as much time as possible in the US; absolutes are New York and I would love to see Texas, California, and the pacific north-west has a lot of allure too. But overall I would just like to see a lot of America. I want to check out the big, the middle, and the tiny little towns all over the place... don't really care where. I have absolutely no interest in Florida or Las Vegas.

So. How much do you think is a reasonable amount of money to take? Want to live well enough, but understand my situation. Is it easier to just spend longer in a smaller geographical area, meaning less money on travel? Or is it cheap enough to see lots of different places? What's the suggestion? If you wanted to tick off what I do, how much time and money would you suggest?

I understand this is vague.

But I'm still plannin'

Cheers!

Alright. Going to Europe (second trip) and the US (for the first time) next year. Rough plan is the middle of June to middle of July for Europe and the UK, then pissing off to the states.

I want to spend as much time as possible in the US; absolutes are New York and I would love to see Texas, California, and the pacific north-west has a lot of allure too. But overall I would just like to see a lot of America. I want to check out the big, the middle, and the tiny little towns all over the place... don't really care where. I have absolutely no interest in Florida or Las Vegas.

So. How much do you think is a reasonable amount of money to take? Want to live well enough, but understand my situation. Is it easier to just spend longer in a smaller geographical area, meaning less money on travel? Or is it cheap enough to see lots of different places? What's the suggestion? If you wanted to tick off what I do, how much time and money would you suggest?

I understand this is vague.

But I'm still plannin'

Cheers!

I went back to the USA for 7 weeks in June and July last year and took $1,000 per week and didn't have enough. That was simply for food, petrol, gifts, sporting events and adventures - day to day expenses.

Accomodation was paid for and internal flights booked before hand.

I don't know your style but $1,000 a week could be a place to start.

I went back to the USA for 7 weeks in June and July last year and took $1,000 per week and didn't have enough. That was simply for food, petrol, gifts, sporting events and adventures - day to day expenses.

Accomodation was paid for and internal flights booked before hand.

I don't know your style but $1,000 a week could be a place to start.

Yep, $1,000 a week would be the starting point for me as well. My trips to Seattle and road trip around California included some shared costs like meals and petrol but I only just broke even on the money I took. Costs will be generally similar regardless if you move from town to town or stay in a more central locations. Places like the Pacific NW and Northern California are more expensive than other parts of the country as well because of their proximity to the major tech companies.

Keep in mind Public Transport in most cities isn't as well developed (or covering as much of the city) as it is in Europe and the closer to Public Transport you are, the more expensive accommodation becomes. So before any planing on where to go, you should decide your major mode of transport for your stay in the US (car, public transport or a mix of both) and then work around that in each city from there as your budget and each city allows. Be flexible, don't just rely on one mode as that will be where costs will sky rocket out of the blue.

Keep in mind Public Transport in most cities isn't as well developed (or covering as much of the city) as it is in Europe and the closer to Public Transport you are, the more expensive accommodation becomes. So before any planing on where to go, you should decide your major mode of transport for your stay in the US (car, public transport or a mix of both) and then work around that in each city from there as your budget and each city allows. Be flexible, don't just rely on one mode as that will be where costs will sky rocket out of the blue.

I always tell friends of mine who plan to go to the USA, hire a car. Getting a shuttle from the Airport on arrival to your hotel or accomodation is ok but waiting fior a train, bus or taxi after at 3 or 4 sucks. Grab a cheap GPS from Wallmart and you're set. Only issue is parking but threy have garages all over the place and its not overly expensive. $5 an hour - much like we have in Australia.

Petrol isn't to bad (.65-.70 per litre) and you have absolute freedom to come, go and travel where ever you want. Freeways are excellent and you just chuck it on cruise control and go. Look out fir idiot drivers whi enjoy cooking song at 130 miles an hour and have no worry about veaving.

However, saying thst. Train services on he easy coast is much easier and accessible than the west coast. No train goes from LA/San fran to vegas but trains go up and down the east coast all the time and you can get from city to city with no problem at all.

Yeah unfortunately I don't drive, would be a cool way to check out whatever you wanted and see some of that cinematic, iconic Americana but it's not possible for me.

Has anyone tried working over there? I half considered Camp America as lame as it sounds and as much as it ain't me, but it looks like you have to pay them for the privilege of working and getting a longer visa. Are there other options?

Has anyone tried working over there? I half considered Camp America as lame as it sounds and as much as it ain't me
Lame for you, maybe.

I've worked at a summer camp in Upstate NY the past 3 years & am heading back there this April for my fourth summer. It's been the most incredible & rewarding experience of my life.

Lame for you, maybe.

I've worked at a summer camp in Upstate NY the past 3 years & am heading back there this April for my fourth summer. It's been the most incredible & rewarding experience of my life.
Dont stress, everything he likes is the greatest thing going. Anything. He dislikes is the worst. Not even worth the reply...

Remove this Banner Ad

Travel USA travel tips and tricks

Remove this Banner Ad

Back