ParraEelsNRL

Premiership Player
Suspended
Jun 26, 2003
Boganville (Wollongong)
Other Teams
Parramatta eels
Got this from Leagueunlimited.

American and Australian television viewers will be treated to live coverage of the historic match between the Philips Kangaroos and the USA Tomahawks in Philadelphia.

The match will be staged at 7.30pm Eastern on November 30 in the US, which is 11.30am Australian Eastern Daylight Savings Time on December 1.

The US-based Fox Sports World will televise the match throughout its vast American Cable Network, while Australia's Fox Sports will provide commentary, assist in the production and televise the match live in Australia.

Fox Sports Australia will also replay the game at 10pm AEDST.

The match will be at Franklin Field, the former home of the Philadelphia Eagles, at the University of Pennsylvania.

It will be the first time Australia has played an international on a synthetic grass surface.

“There’s no doubt this is going to be an exciting opportunity for the game,” ARL chief executive Geoff Carr said.

“The NRL's Graham Annesley has been to the US to assess plans for the match.

“It is a very modern synthetic grass surface which has longer 'turf' and which is completely different from the older style grounds.

“Known as Spinturf, it was only installed some three months ago. The blades of 'grass' are over an inch long, it doesn’t burn the players, it's softer than normal surfaces and allows players to wear normal football boots.

“I know from talking to the Australian players in New Zealand last week that they are really looking forward to the USA game.

“The Tri Nations is already off to a great start and the players know they are in for a real test when the English games kick off this weekend.

“The USA leg of the tour adds another great dimension to the trip.”

Fox Sports said the live broadcasts across the US and Australia were a great boost for the sport.

“It's a match we know Australian audiences will be keen to watch and it has the potential to expose the sport to millions of viewers in the US,” Fox Sports chief operating officer Jon Marquard said.

“Fox Sports has a tremendous commitment to rugby league and it's great to be working with the US to ensure that this match reaches the Australian television audience.

“Fox Sports Australia will provide commentary for the match and other production support in what should be a great partnership.”

USA National coverage:
Fox Sports World, Tuesday November 30: 'live' 7.30pm Eastern.

Australian national coverage:
Fox Sports, Wednesday December 1: 'live' 11:30am (AEDST) Fox 1; 'replay' 10:00pm (AEDST) Fox 1.

good to see, just hope they let fox sports show the French game if nine don't want it.

Waste of time.

Serbia, Morocco, Lebanon & RUSSIA are all streets ahead of the Yanks in regard to development. In particular Russia. We better get used to playing tests in the ice cold because it's going to be a common feature of international RL within 10 years...

Of those four, only Russia would realistically be ahead.

Serbia and Morocco are miles behind, and Lebanon, if anything, would be about on a par with the US side.

I agree though, getting a nation like the US, with all of about 200 registered players, to get belted 160-0 by the Aussies will do more harm than good.

• Banned
The Russians got done bye the Aussies in the last world cup 108-4 i think, didn't seem to harm them.

The ppl who are putting this together are not stupid, they will get a competitive side together and put on a great show.

Don't know why ppl are knocking this game, we all have a whine when the ppl do nothing for our game and when they try to do something we have a whine again.

If it gets a crowd and some decent ratings, it's got to be good for the game over there.

If this game can get 200 more ppl playing Rugby League in 1 go, i say go for it.

Hopfully this game is going to lead into the US getting a semi pro comp up n running.

It would of been good for the roo's to go to Russia, but atleast the ARL have given them $500,000 to host the youth world cup next yr, thats a good start and i think the Russians will be out here next yr to tour and have a run against some clubs.

It really should be England looking after Russia as they are closer and have been playing in the cc cup now for 2 or 3 yrs, Australia should look after the Pacific, South Africa and the United States.

Richoagain i bet if this was AR you would be behind it %100.
Why not be happy that Rugby League is atleast giving it a go?

AuckMel said:
Just getting the match televised is a bonus.

Where we fall down though, is by not playing these teams again for another 6-10 years.

160-0 in a Union game would be classed as a great for the code and applauded as a major step in developing the game.
Not in my books.

Let's face it, these sort of scorelines are a fact of life in ANY international sport. Even in the biggest ones of them all such as soccer and basketball- after all, Australia holds the world record for scoring in a single game of competitive international soccer, and I fail to see how it is any different from such scorelines in Union or League. Because chasms exist in every league and sport, and some will sadly prove insurmountable because of factors of logistics and culture- but all can be alleviated if they are given the chance to do so and administrators are willing to help.

ParraEelsNRL said:
Richoagain i bet if this was AR you would be behind it %100.
Why not be happy that Rugby League is at least giving it a go?

I take the same view for both.

No way would I want to see the USA taking on Australia in AR. Even with a 600-point head start the USA would get slaughtered.

I'm all for RL pushing development - it's just I reckon there are better ways to go about it.

The difference between Russia getting flogged 108-4 at the last world cup was that it 1. wasn't a home match, and 2. wasn't a match that had been billed as a major showpiece, which this match at least partly has.

What good does it do for an American off the street to see their national side get pounded? I'd be more inclined to suggest that if you want to show off the code, have the USA play someone as a curtain raiser to a SOO match or something along those lines.

My 2c :)

• Banned
Yeah i know what you mean.

They will be using players from the NRL and Superleague so it won't be as bad as people are thinking.

If they use guys that are full time and put a couple of American players in the team(3 or 4) i think they can make a good match of it(i hope).

Richoagain said:
Of those four, only Russia would realistically be ahead.

Serbia and Morocco are miles behind, and Lebanon, if anything, would be about on a par with the US side.

I agree though, getting a nation like the US, with all of about 200 registered players, to get belted 160-0 by the Aussies will do more harm than good.

All four have more Juniors, Serbia was credible in international competition this year and Morocco has been playing RL for a long time. Lebanon is ahead of the US. You'd also be guaranteed a packed house wherever you played it in Lebanon.

ParraEelsNRL said:
They will be using players from the NRL and Superleague so it won't be as bad as people are thinking.

This is why international RL is a joke.

Then you have the audacity to bag the International Rules concept. (Not you personally Parra!)

You can't have it both ways. I'm not a fan of IR, but at least Ireland has Irish players playing in the team and Aussies are playing for Australia.

I agree with Richo..I don't see the point. It seems if you've seen the USA on a map you qualify for the Tomahawks.

Hurbie said:
All four have more Juniors, Serbia was credible in international competition this year and Morocco has been playing RL for a long time. Lebanon is ahead of the US. You'd also be guaranteed a packed house wherever you played it in Lebanon.

Serbia? They got beat 64-4 by Lebanon, and got beat by Holland. Last I saw they had five or six ex-union clubs around Belgrade and that was it.

Lebanon might be a realistic marketing opportunity (if the match was played in Lebanon) - but for playing a match in the US to promote RL Russia would be an ideal opponent. Would probably still beat the US comfortably, but not by as much as Australia. And for the American public, surely the idea of a US vs Russia test match has a lot of merit?

Richoagain said:
What good does it do for an American off the street to see their national side get pounded? I'd be more inclined to suggest that if you want to show off the code, have the USA play someone as a curtain raiser to a SOO match or something along those lines.

Yeah, but how does that help the US more than the game coming up?

The game would be in Australia and against much weaker opposition than the Kangaroos so how many people will see it in the US or be interested in it for that matter?

If they lose 120-0 then so be it. I doubt they'll lose by that next time and there will be plenty more tuned into TV to see what this league is all about.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Richoagain said:
Lebanon might be a realistic marketing opportunity (if the match was played in Lebanon) - but for playing a match in the US to promote RL Russia would be an ideal opponent. Would probably still beat the US comfortably, but not by as much as Australia. And for the American public, surely the idea of a US vs Russia test match has a lot of merit?

The US and Russia have played each other.

The game is 100% totally good for the game and I think that only the ill-informed would say anything different. Australia will win by 90+ points, guaranteed but there will be a good crowd and the fact that it is televised is massive for the game. I cannot believe anyhting else, you can say I'm looking through rosy coloured glasses but look at the facts:
* Televised on Fox Sports to an audience of millions
* First elite level match since the Long Beach State-of-Origin match
* Large Crowd expected
* Lots of coverage in Australia, one of the more anticipated matches in terms of curiosity (don't know about the USA)
Its good for the USA, good for Australia and good for rugby league. Nothing will sway me from this point of view. Go the Kangaroos!

Tutaki said:
The game is 100% totally good for the game and I think that only the ill-informed would say anything different. Australia will win by 90+ points, guaranteed but there will be a good crowd and the fact that it is televised is massive for the game. I cannot believe anyhting else, you can say I'm looking through rosy coloured glasses but look at the facts:
* Large Crowd expected
* Lots of coverage in Australia, one of the more anticipated matches in terms of curiosity (don't know about the USA)
Its good for the USA, good for Australia and good for rugby league. Nothing will sway me from this point of view. Go the Kangaroos!

I'm with you on this 1, it can only be good for the game.

Tutaki said:
* Large Crowd expected

When the Kangaroos go 20-0 up in the first 5 minutes, any Yank who is still watching will be switching over to something else....

Richoagain said:
Serbia? They got beat 64-4 by Lebanon, and got beat by Holland. Last I saw they had five or six ex-union clubs around Belgrade and that was it.

A Lebanon full of NSWRL & JB Cup players. The Dutch side did that at Rotterdam with the benefit of a few NL players. When the comp is amateur and part of the Former Yugoslavia, they were always going to have trouble getting their best side over there.

I'm talking about Australia. Rewarding Lebanon with a Match against the Kangaroos!. Not about the USA's opponents. In an ideal world, the Kangaroos would visit Russia, Lebanon (As a reward for all the good work) and The USA (To promote the game to drunken Penn State Students...)

Its funny how many RL fans are saying that Australia's thrashing of Namibia last year was an indication that the international RU scene is dead and how big scores like that are destroying RU, but concede that when the Kangaroos flog the USA team by 100+ points it will be good for the game.

You can't have your cake and eat it too.

And neither can union types SB...That's where the problem lies. Alot of this started when Union types bleated on and on in the media about how humiliating the 2000 RLWC was...

Hurbie said:
And neither can union types SB...That's where the problem lies. Alot of this started when Union types bleated on and on in the media about how humiliating the 2000 RLWC was...

I think the bleating came from the fact that players were representing other countries depsite not living or have lived in them, rather than the score blow outs (which weren't that bad, really).

When you have a player like Luke Ricketson playing for Ireland, Tony Carroll playing for NZ and El Masri playing for Lebanon (who all went on and played for Australia)...thats when it becomes a little bemusing.

Yes, the grandparent rule exists in RU, but once you have played senior rep football for one country, you can't go and change and play for another.

It didn't help that the RLWC was played in horrible conditions with little or no crowd support, either.

robbieando said:
Televised on Fox Sports World, which is a minor cable networks in the set up of American TV. I doubt "millions" will be watching like you seem to believe.

They're also changing their name to Fox Sports Soccer very soon I think...

Remove this Banner Ad

USA v AUSTRALIA

Remove this Banner Ad

Back