Utterly Forgotten Eagles

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 4, 2003
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
So doing my top 50 Eagles has me all reminiscing about days gone by, pretty sure this topic has come up before but couldn't find it in search. Anyway.

To be eligible for this thread, you've gotta strain to remember the guy. Doesn't have to have played a senior game (actually some of those would be even better!) and they don't have to have done anything of note.

I'm going to do this from memory to stay true to the thread, because I know if I've forgotten about much about them (memory like an Elephant), they must be a Forgotten Eagle!

My nominees:

Nick Stone: Mature age recruit brought to the club around 1997, played a handful of games across half back and was cut from the club a couple of years later amid some drug testing issues.

Kane Munro: From the same draft class as Hunter and Glass, 'wafer thin' and generally ordinary, his best game was in the final against Essendon in 2002 when he kicked 3 goals.

Mark Merenda: Picked up from Richmond in the 2001, kicked goal of year that year against the Saints (it was a great goal!). Did nothing else and was gone by either 2002 or maybe 2003?

Paul Symmons: Actually played almost 100 games for the club and was a regular in a generally forgotable era (1997-2000). Was an epic ginger wingman.

David Haynes: Also from the Glass and Hunter draft class, one of many players to be earmarked as a great white hope up forward until we all found out he was pretty ordinary. Traded to the Cats eventually.

Derek Hall: Was on the list for a few years in the early 90s, played a handful of games and went on to make semi regular appearance with Geelong. Probably best described as a 'Utility'.

Jeremy Humm: Was once thought to be our key to keeping Judd in Perth (they were mates I think?) but it turned out that despite being as hard as a cat's head, he was pretty ordinary and got cut after a few unremarkable games. Got a short lived gig at Richmond.

Chad Rintoul: The Toul played a fair bit of footy around the league and even won a flag with Adelaide (but lets face it, the bar was not high in those Premiership teams, at least most of our Premiership players are in the top 50, not in the 'Forgotten Eagles' thread!). He always struck me as some kind of experiment, where they take an honest Suburban footballer and chuck him in the big leagues.

Callum Chambers: Was around for a few years but I doubt he played much more than 50 games. He looked like he should have been a better player than he actually was (sounds strange but it's true). Spent maybe 1 year in the team as a regular but Woosha didn't rate him and he played out a few seasons with Carlton.

Any more?

I give you Shane Porter, full back recruited from Tassie. Actually, wasn't a bad FB for Perth.

The Evans brothers, Shane and Mike? was it? Famously thought they were a lot better than they really were.

it's amazing how much hope a lot of supporters put in david haynes... he really wasn't an AFL level footballer.

Kane Munro. legend ;)

another one - Laurie Bellotti. I actually thought he played pretty well in the game he played....

Reading some of those names reminded me of David Sieracowski (spelling is probably way off), we got him in that Gehrig trade and he did his knee in one of his first games for us. Big unit and I think he was very liked or something.

I also had to smile at David Haynes. I remember him as an undersized FF for us.

craig smoker anyone??

i remember getting the afl video game for PC in 1996 and because he had the highest speed rating of anyone at the eagles i used to put him in the midfield and he killed it. don't think he even played a game for us - i was gutted that he wasn't a star.

Josh Wooden: Solid player, but injuries pretty much derailed his career. Hes someone not really mentioned about.

Damien Atkins: Traded for Andrew Williams. Played until 05 where he was delisted.

The Duckworths (Simon and Joel): Joel was on our list for 2 years and retired due to injury. Simon did one better, playing 1 pre-season game and that was it.

i wonder if the duckworths would be the only brothers who combined for 0 H&A games (that got on a list).....

Reading some of those names reminded me of David Sieracowski (spelling is probably way off), we got him in that Gehrig trade and he did his knee in one of his first games for us. Big unit and I think he was very liked or something.

I also had to smile at David Haynes. I remember him as an undersized FF for us.

I remember listening to 6PR when he (Sierakowski) got drafted/traded. Some woman who knew very little about AFL rang up (I think she may have been a nurse). She said that Sierakowski would never play a game for the Eagles because of an injury. Whoever the announcer was (I'm not sure who so I won't say) went ballistic in an over-the-top vitriolic, attack on her. I remember thinking, there's something wrong here. It looks like there was.

craig smoker anyone??

i remember getting the afl video game for PC in 1996 and because he had the highest speed rating of anyone at the eagles i used to put him in the midfield and he killed it. don't think he even played a game for us - i was gutted that he wasn't a star.

Nice one....and yes he was a gun in Finals Fever. ;)

Went on to play for Melbourne, shot out the blocks in his first few games there and we looked dumb...but it didn't last and he was gone within a year or so - similar to Andrew Williams actually, he's another one - never rated the bloke but I think he played nearly 100 uneventful games for us and then bobbed up at the Pies looking a million bucks for about 5 minutes before disappearing forever.

I remember listening to 6PR when he (Sierakowski) got drafted/traded. Some woman who knew very little about AFL rang up (I think she may have been a nurse). She said that Sierakowski would never play a game for the Eagles because of an injury. Whoever the announcer was (I'm not sure who so I won't say) went ballistic in an over-the-top vitriolic, attack on her. I remember thinking, there's something wrong here. It looks like there was.

He had done his knee when playing for the Saints so he came with history but I think it was just dreadful luck that he went down in his first game out for us. Never got back after that really.

Not a great player anyway, sort of a poor man's Quinten Lynch, not quite as mobile.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

then bobbed up at the Pies looking a million bucks for about 5 minutes before disappearing forever.

I was going to say I think he kicked 5 in a pre-season game for Collingwood.

Another player who we traded to Collingwood, but is maybe a little too well known for this, is Chad Morrison.

I remember when he was rated a better prospect than Cousins. I believe he may have won our best first year player ahead of Ben.

I was going to say I think he kicked 5 in a pre-season game for Collingwood.

Another player who we traded to Collingwood, but is maybe a little too well known for this, is Chad Morrison.

I remember when he was rated a better prospect than Cousins. I believe he may have won our best first year player ahead of Ben.

Chad made my top 50! haha

Played nearly 150 games for the club and WAS great prospect, that was until the poor bugger did his knee twice and was just nowhere near the player he was at his best. It was actually Donnelly (just mentioned) who pipped Cousins for the best first year award - even without hindsight I can tell you that was a bad call but that was a really exciting year for youngsters with Cousins, Donnelly, Morrison, Wirra, Matera, Schofield, Ian Downsborough (another one!, very under rated!) and Gehrig either debuting or really breaking through.

Mark Merenda: Picked up from Richmond in the 2001, kicked goal of year that year against the Saints (it was a great goal!). Did nothing else and was gone by either 2002 or maybe 2003?

Also kicked a point against Carlton at Optus Oval in the final minutes to win the game. Was probably one of the first eagles wins I ever saw, living in Victoria it is pretty rare.

Pretty funny list though.

Shane Bond for the most forgotten premiership player. Got homesick and went back to SA for a few more seasons with Port.

Shane Sikora was a quick midfielder who played a couple of games with us, ended up at Melbourne for another season or two, before becoming a great player in suburban football in Melbourne.

We traded for Trent Cummings from Fitzroy, played a few games but didn't last long. Michael Dunstan was a similar story but managed a few more games.

Peter Davidson
Glen Bartlett
Glenn O'Loughlin
Sean King
Paul Mifka
Kevin Caton
Richard Geary
Brad Gwilliam

Remove this Banner Ad

Utterly Forgotten Eagles

Remove this Banner Ad

Back