VAFA D1 new thread for 2007

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am with you slightly - he got a bit lucky on this one - but rest assured some poor sucker with get 2 weeks swearing after missing a goal or some thing equal unworthy.

No one wants to see players suspended - Dirty kick hits and behind the play stuff are things of the past (we hope).

Are the Fawkner days - who else remembers them????

I can remmember the days when you got reported & if you were lucky you only got 2 weeks!!

not training this week Ugly 6.30 thursday night on Big footy?

I believe that fawkner fc is not playing this year is this true?

TQM

I am with you slightly - he got a bit lucky on this one - but rest assured some poor sucker with get 2 weeks swearing after missing a goal or some thing equal unworthy.

No one wants to see players suspended - Dirty kick hits and behind the play stuff are things of the past (we hope).

Are the Fawkner days - who else remembers them????

maybe he wouldnt have been so lucky if the umpire had not done a 'runner' and disappeared mid hearing !!!!!!
My only fear, ugly, is that what was once known as 'making a player earn their kick' is now looked upon as viscious play.

Fawkner - mind & body still scarred. What was scarier - their playing style, Youngy's cold stare or their assorted nicknames ? Sounded more like a chain gang than a footy team - not every team had a 'killer', 'chopper', 'mad dog' etc - & they were the nice blokes !

For those older, think Alphington, Parkside etc

followed the old man down to Alphington one day and I swear to god a player walked into their roons with a loaded shotgun and threatened to kill a team mate for doing a "Wayne Carey" on his wife. Never seen a room empty as quickly in my life - I reckon it was circa 1978.

Parkside were never as bad as fawlker imo - And rememebr the spread that Fawkner would put on after the games?

followed the old man down to Alphington one day and I swear to god a player walked into their roons with a loaded shotgun and threatened to kill a team mate for doing a "Wayne Carey" on his wife. Never seen a room empty as quickly in my life - I reckon it was circa 1978.

Parkside were never as bad as fawlker imo - And rememebr the spread that Fawkner would put on after the games?

Parkside twos had more than their fair share of 'towies' during the 80s - when tow truck driving was more akin to street fighting - the ones were ok.
Alphington - some very ugly incidents !
Fawkner actually had some good blokes but some of their supporters were nuts. Needed to mix carefully at the aftermatch.

I can remmember the days when you got reported & if you were lucky you only got 2 weeks!!

not training this week Ugly 6.30 thursday night on Big footy?

I believe that fawkner fc is not playing this year is this true?

TQM
Im led to believe that Fawkner have gone into recess this year.

The Quite Mans Tips

Prahran OP to have there 4th 100+ Loss

Hampton 80 Points Will Therry win a game?

Mentone 15 Points always good at home

Peninsula 30 Points at home against a side that they should beat

Oakleigh 25 Points after 2 big wins BT may struggle in a tight game

TQM

Long time reader, first time poster.

Took the trip out to Mentone Grammar and watched a pretty good game. Mentone jumped OG kicking away by 40 points at half time. OG hit the front in the last quarter but were pipped by a last minute goal. Good quality amateur game today and both teams should go well into the latter half of the season.

Could someone tell me who won in D1 this Saturday? The VAFA website is not showing the results at all.

Heard Mentone by 3 goals
Prahran by 19 points
Hampton by 201 points
Peninsula over Yarra
and ?????? the other game.

Well done on Parade's effort. They'll be mighty happy and make some excuse or find a way to make the double drop a positive.....

SPARE ME!!!!!:cool:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've seen some big wins in my time watching watching VAFA football, but never a 201 (yes a 201) point win by Hampton Rovers. So what do we make of the Rovers after a VERY big win like that?

I've seen some big wins in my time watching watching VAFA football, but never a 201 (yes a 201) point win by Hampton Rovers. So what do we make of the Rovers after a VERY big win like that?

Jascave,

In answer to your question, Hampton are very good when front running, however, IMO go to water when the pressure is applied.

15 goals to 0.0 in the first 1/4, wonder what the 1/4 time address' were like?

By the way the Rovers are tracking this year they will probably lose by 10 goals next week!!!

Going in to round 18 last season Rupo were in 5th position & needed a big win to make to finals now they are on top of c section not a bad effort. Carey are also up there, is this just two sides that have gone up & recruited well or is c section & d1 section close to each other in standard at the moment?

Going in to round 18 last season Rupo were in 5th position & needed a big win to make to finals now they are on top of c section not a bad effort. Carey are also up there, is this just two sides that have gone up & recruited well or is c section & d1 section close to each other in standard at the moment?

i feel i am in a reasonable position to answer this one.. Rupo has relied on the improvement of their younger players with minimal turnover. Rupo has also added 6-7 players on their total list, some playing seniors, some playing reserves, some injured. Carey on the other hand have had a greater turnover but have recruited incredibly IMO.

Every year Rupo has gone up we get told we would have got smashed by the sides who were promoted the year before. EG: Ormond, Fitzroy Reds from 2005. We have been told Ajax and St Bedes would smash us by 15 goals in spite of our position this year. Rupo beat St Bernards in a practice match one week before the season. This was regarded as a mishap and no indication of our position as a club.

D1 last year was a far more even competition. In "C" grade this year sides have struggled in many areas: injuries, poor pre-seasons, loss of players etc.
IMO most top 4 sides in each division would be very competitive against the bottom 4 sides and more than likely beat them. Some top 2 sides would push for finals in the division above them. I have no doubt that clubs on the improve, improve markedly over pre-seasons to cope with the rise in level and sides on the decline struggle to turn around the down ward spiral. D1 was fantastic last year mainly because this thread was fun and the footy was great.

Parade were just as bad in C as they are in D1 and Hampton as inconsistent without the sizeable margins. Could be indicative of the evenness of the more competitive sides in both D1 and C section.

Hampton
Oakleigh
Peninsula
Therry - big upset
Mentone/Bulleen - draw

The Quite Man's Tips

Prahran 2 Goals (prahran's on ballers will be the difference)

Oakleigh 24 Points (how is domeney's holding up?)

Peninsula 20 points (Parade are competive at home)

Old Geelong 60 points (Therry will have a bad day)

Old Mentone 40 Points (BT have always had a hard time at the playing fields)

Also I agree with kingbrown last year's forum was a great read compared to this year's.

TQM

Here is a question, who would be the best taggers / run with players in D1 footy?

How about the Rovers, good win.

here is a question for some one that now the rules

Are you able to come from a club where you have been on match fee & return to the VAFA mid season?

TQM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back