VAFA D1 new thread for 2007

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's one thing I don't understand. If this is going to be one of the games of the season (at this stage), then why is Sportscover Arena (Elsternwick Park) being left vacant? Surely the VAFA can schedule this match as the showpiece game of the weekend, due to A-C Sections getting the week off. What better way would've been for D1 football, to showcase two of the best sides in D1 (at this stage of the year) playing the match of the round (and one of the games of the year, if everything works well) at the home of VAFA, Sportscover Arena. The whole world doesn't work around A & B Section. VAFA, WAKE UP!!!

There's one thing I don't understand. If this is going to be one of the games of the season (at this stage), then why is Sportscover Arena (Elsternwick Park) being left vacant? Surely the VAFA can schedule this match as the showpiece game of the weekend, due to A-C Sections getting the week off. What better way would've been for D1 football, to showcase two of the best sides in D1 (at this stage of the year) playing the match of the round (and one of the games of the year, if everything works well) at the home of VAFA, Sportscover Arena. The whole world doesn't work around A & B Section. VAFA, WAKE UP!!!

Jase, I think we are pretty happy to keep the game at The Boss. Our record there is pretty formidable, and with a relatively short journey for Old Mentonians we should see a bumper crowd.

That clown in charge of Old M's should watch his mouth this weekend or the mighty Rovers faithful will give him plenty.

Jase, I think we are pretty happy to keep the game at The Boss. Our record there is pretty formidable, and with a relatively short journey for Old Mentonians we should see a bumper crowd.

That clown in charge of Old M's should watch his mouth this weekend or the mighty Rovers faithful will give him plenty.

Agreed! Come on Jase. Why would we want to give up our home game?

Yes, I can understand your logic, however, the lower sections from D1-D4 don't get that many chances to play at HQ. And with A-C (including Ajax) getting the week off, surely there's never a better chance to showcase D1 football than having Hampton Rovers and Old Mentonians-a local derby and match of the round (and possibly the season outside of the grand final) play at the home of the VAFA, Sportscover Arena (Elsternwick Park). I go back to 1989, where the MCG was left vacant while Carlton and Collingwood played at Princes Park and Victoria Park respectively, in front of crowds of only 30,000,whereas at the MCG it would've been played 80-90,000. The VFL reminded the Blues and Magpies of the crowd drawing potential of the MCG, but Carlton and Collingwood responded by saying any late change of venue would've distressed their sponsors.

Yes, I can understand your logic, however, the lower sections from D1-D4 don't get that many chances to play at HQ. And with A-C (including Ajax) getting the week off, surely there's never a better chance to showcase D1 football than having Hampton Rovers and Old Mentonians-a local derby and match of the round (and possibly the season outside of the grand final) play at the home of the VAFA, Sportscover Arena (Elsternwick Park). I go back to 1989, where the MCG was left vacant while Carlton and Collingwood played at Princes Park and Victoria Park respectively, in front of crowds of only 30,000,whereas at the MCG it would've been played 80-90,000. The VFL reminded the Blues and Magpies of the crowd drawing potential of the MCG, but Carlton and Collingwood responded by saying any late change of venue would've distressed their sponsors.

Despite the long drive from Templestowe, I would rather play at Hampton or Mentone than Elsternwick any day of the week. No atmosphere, too windy...give me a local venue every time.

fair enough jase, but it is a tight season, EP is an absolute prick of a ground and they have had the home game advantage already. i have no problem with beating them on any ground, but in the context of the season, its a bad idea. think about it mate, we would get more people to a home game than an EP game... so what are you show-casing exactly??

fair enough jase, but it is a tight season, EP is an absolute prick of a ground and they have had the home game advantage already. i have no problem with beating them on any ground, but in the context of the season, its a bad idea. think about it mate, we would get more people to a home game than an EP game... so what are you show-casing exactly??

Keep it at the boss, should be a huge crowd. I know ill be there, giving it to McGee, and all the little boys playing for Old M's.

Go Rovers.

Another big win.
I think its no secret that when the pressure is applied to Hampton that they go to water. I think that is what we will all see this week.

Lay off McGee- great coach, even better guy

I think all who underestimate Mentonians are silly. Thats right...silly.

They are on top of the ladder for pete's sake. This weeks game against Hampton will be a corker, but i reckon the Hampton boys will step up again and knock them off.

Panther - i heard your coach has trouble finding chairs in nightclubs? Can you elaborate....:confused:

D1 comp doesn't get that many chances to play at Elsternwick Park. The only times when it does is when Ajax or an A-B section games is not on it. I agree that Elsternwick Park is too windy and too cold, but when a big crowd is at Elsternwick Park there is a very good atmosphere. And seeing this game between the Rovers and Old Mentonians is a mini-final (with the possiblity of them meeting later in the finals), and the VAFA plays A-B finals at EP, then what better chance to showcase the D1 comp as a whole than to have Hampton Rovers and Old Mentonians-the local derby and match of the round and possibly the season- play at VAFA HQ.

I think all who underestimate Mentonians are silly. Thats right...silly.

They are on top of the ladder for pete's sake. This weeks game against Hampton will be a corker, but i reckon the Hampton boys will step up again and knock them off.

Panther - i heard your coach has trouble finding chairs in nightclubs? Can you elaborate....:confused:

Stop pumping up the other side. They're not being underestimated.... they just won't beat us on Saturday...

Its going to be an interesting game.. what would be some match ups?

I can't remember too many of the Mentone Players, but i do remember old Tony Bournan kicking of the dew for the 2's. Surely if Pitts is still walking around the forward pocket for Prahran then Tony B could do the same for Old M's??

Saturday should be a very interesting match, but if the Rovers can continue their recent form they should be able to tame the panthers.

Congrats to the Dev I mean Matt Buckeroo Lawrence on his 50th goal this week, the Old Mentonians will have their hands full with the big guy in fine fettle.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not pumping Uncle Mick. Merely a reference to the fact that no-one seems to rate them on this thread.

Up ya joots.

Rate them highly... just don't think they'll win on Saturday. They are, and have proven to be better than most.

The only guaranteed match up will be that little goose Biggs tagging G.Carr. Fancies himself the young kid. Methinks he'll get a lesson in senior footy on Saturday.

Rate them highly... just don't think they'll win on Saturday. They are, and have proven to be better than most.

The only guaranteed match up will be that little goose Biggs tagging G.Carr. Fancies hinmself the young kid. Methinks he'll get a lesson in senior footy on Saturday.

Yeah, hopefully someone teaches Biggs lesson, he is a little rash but can play and does his job + getting the ball.

Someone might end up knocking McGee out as well if he opens his mouth to much.

Biggs did beat Carr last time. Twentymen, Ironmonger, Mitvalsky, Palmer all experienced players who haven't played the last few weeks will they play?

Wish the weekend come now, this game is going to be great everyone should get down and watch.

Yeah, hopefully someone teaches Biggs lesson, he is a little rash but can play and does his job + getting the ball.

Someone might end up knocking McGee out as well if he opens his mouth to much.

Biggs did beat Carr last time. Twentymen, Ironmonger, Mitvalsky, Palmer all experienced players who haven't played the last few weeks will they play?

Wish the weekend come now, this game is going to be great everyone should get down and watch.

Palmer - gaaawwwwwnn. Will not play. Will be a big out in terms of how they'll match up.

D1 comp doesn't get that many chances to play at Elsternwick Park. The only times when it does is when Ajax or an A-B section games is not on it. I agree that Elsternwick Park is too windy and too cold, but when a big crowd is at Elsternwick Park there is a very good atmosphere. And seeing this game between the Rovers and Old Mentonians is a mini-final (with the possiblity of them meeting later in the finals), and the VAFA plays A-B finals at EP, then what better chance to showcase the D1 comp as a whole than to have Hampton Rovers and Old Mentonians-the local derby and match of the round and possibly the season- play at VAFA HQ.

It's up to the home club to make the call, and Hampton Rovers would be insane to give up home ground advantage on this one.

Agreed, it should be a great game, but you'd probably get 70 people to Sportscover Arena, and 300 to Boss Reserve. I'm sure the Hampton Rovers treasurer would prefer the post match bar takings to swell their coffers, and not the VAFA.

No brainer really.

surely he is the number one run with player in our comp?

has any midfielder beaten him this year?

i hear he also carrying a shoulder injury?

any truth to that rumour?

honestly... do we care?? the rovers are far from a one dimensional team. football teams require attackers, negators and depth. injuries and outs aside, the better team will win. full stop.

looks like its the same teams mentioned on here. hampton were ok but we were the last team to beat them and didn't think they were that great. we'll replace hampton or oakleigh in the 4. prahran say they had a bad day and i agree with uncle mick about oakleigh. yarra valley will upset some teams towards the finals especially on there own heap. the weather made the game a more even contest but they were much improved from last time we met.

mentone were missing a couple last week, but i reckon they'll be too strong for hampton. the 5 wins hampton have had include therry twice and parade. won't be up to it in a close one against mentone.

looks like its the same teams mentioned on here. hampton were ok but we were the last team to beat them and didn't think they were that great. we'll replace hampton or oakleigh in the 4. prahran say they had a bad day and i agree with uncle mick about oakleigh. yarra valley will upset some teams towards the finals especially on there own heap. the weather made the game a more even contest but they were much improved from last time we met.

mentone were missing a couple last week, but i reckon they'll be too strong for hampton. the 5 wins hampton have had include therry twice and parade. won't be up to it in a close one against mentone.

Oh WOW. Look its Vickers-Willis posting. Its great that you and your mate O'Brien post on this site........NOT

TOOL OF THE WEEK = GUYS WHO PRETEND TO BE PLAYERS FROM OPPOSITION TEAMS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back