Vale John (Ragsy) Goold šŸ˜¢

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 26, 2004
CHANEL BOUTIQUE!
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
"Goddess"

Very sad. Ragsy just loved the club so much, he would call ShaneO to talk about the Blues multiple times a week until very recently. He only stopped when he was physically no longer capable. ShaneO, Collo and some of the other boys did make the trek out to visit Ragsy just last year and spent the day with him, a day enjoyed by all.

RIP to a true gentleman.

Here is Ragsy speaking at a couple of our functions over the years.

Was one of my heroes as a little tacker and I had his number 11 on my jumper, even if Big Nick and Jezza were my 2 idols. When he retired and they handed the number to Bruce Doull I wrote to the club complaining about giving the great man's number to an untried kid. He was in the fashion trade and later very big in polo and horse breeding. Many years later I had the honour of doing some work for him and he was a very modest and self-effacing man who only mentioned his football record because it was relevant to the legal issue at hand. RIP Ragsy.

A true star of the game! He reminded me of watching Brent Crosswell (and of course Jezza) play who was another one capable of doing unbelievable things on the field.

As a teen, I have never forgotten one image of him 'marking' the ball with one hand. I know many players have marked the ball one-handed before but this was very different. The ball had just been kicked long and very high toward him and then the siren sounded to end play in one of the quarters. As the ball was dropping straight down from high above, he casually put his one unbent arm up, and as though it were magnetised, the ball fell straight into his hand and it stayed there with not even the slightest amount of juggling. He caught the ball as cleanly as one would see in any of the one-touch classic catches in cricket. It's been well over 50 years since that game, but I vividly remember the roar of the crowd as everyone, including me, had just witnessed him seemingly do the impossible. What a player he was!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Vale John (Ragsy) Goold šŸ˜¢

Remove this Banner Ad

Back