Roast Vent Here

Remove this Banner Ad

Whats the general consensus from others who’ve attended games where they do Wharfie time ?

I’ve never been and I haven’t watched yesterday’s game so I don’t even know what it is ?
Usually gets the crowd really hyped and excited. Like in the Collingwood game. Was electric. I remember it vs Brisbane last year and I think during North last year. Usually we get at least a goal in it and it lifts the atmosphere.

Energy just wasn't the same this time around. Probably because we hadn't looked like scoring for a while. Every other time they've had it I feel like we had a bit of momentum already. I feel like they probably should'nt have started it while the ball was in Geelong's half. Should've gotten it going while we were going forward and it probably would've had a better outcome.

Never in any of the other times they've put it up have we gotten extra fumbly and mistakey because of it. Usually the opposite.

Whats the general consensus from others who’ve attended games where they do Wharfie time ?

I’ve never been and I haven’t watched yesterday’s game so I don’t even know what it is ?

Wharfie time is when We put on one of those old time uniforms and get spanked on Our turf...Just like in old times...

Last edited:

Okay officer I admit it I made a mistake, I was wrong.
I actually rated M. Frederick as a very good player.
He’s an interesting case frederick. Gets very little scrutiny on this board.
I’d argue he was a better player 2 or 3 years ago. Certainly any improvement is very marginal at best. That’s during a period of his career when he should have been developing into a much more consistent player.

I’d argue he was a better player 2 or 3 years ago. Certainly any improvement is very marginal at best. That’s during a period of his career when he should have been developing into a much more consistent player.
Given that Frederick has a twin brother who got cut by Port Adelaide, while we have our version in our best 22, then either:
1. Our Frederick is naturally more talented - possible, but they're twins (possibly not identical, I guess, but still) so there wouldn't be much to separate them.
2. We've been able to get the best out of him in a way that Port couldn't with his brother - certainly possible
3. The threshold for getting a regular game with us is just not that high.

#3 is where I'm at today, and why I'm posting in the Vent thread. I know there's plenty of complaints about coaches playing favourites, but what if the guys who do get games really are the best we have available? And that if this line up is actually one that threatens the 8 but can't hold a place in it, let alone seriously challenge for a Premiership?

Anyways, back to Frederick, I guess my conclusion is that we should count our blessings that he plays as well as he does, but there's a real possibility that his peak performance is behind him. Or at least that there's very little upside left to be extracted.

Been watching perusing Raygun memes on Twitter to cheer myself up this arvo. Rcommended.
Given that Frederick has a twin brother who got cut by Port Adelaide, while we have our version in our best 22, then either:
1. Our Frederick is naturally more talented - possible, but they're twins (possibly not identical, I guess, but still) so there wouldn't be much to separate them.
2. We've been able to get the best out of him in a way that Port couldn't with his brother - certainly possible

#3 is where I'm at today, and why I'm posting in the Vent thread. I know there's plenty of complaints about coaches playing favourites, but what if the guys who do get games really are the best we have available? And that if this line up is actually one that threatens the 8 but can't hold a place in it, let alone seriously challenge for a Premiership?

Anyways, back to Frederick, I guess my conclusion is that we should count our blessings that he plays as well as he does, but there's a real possibility that his peak performance is behind him. Or at least that there's very little upside left to be extracted.
He needs to commit himself to hand-eye work outside of the normal training regime. There's a couple that do. Lots and lots of it.

Last time we made finals we had more players stepping up.
This year we have Treacy who has had a breakout year.
Lobb, Shultz, are bigger losses than many want to admit, and then you
also have the decline of Walters.
Lobb had a better year than Jackson in 2024. Hasn’t helped that the MC won’t
play a genuine ruck when Darcy is unavailable.
Freddy, Sturt are not tackling/pressure types like Shultz.
Cross fingers we have deeper analysis rather than the excuses of youth.

It's shit and embarrassing

It's a gimic

Freddy was better years ago. In his fifth season and little development. Doesn't kick many goals, doesn't tackle and disappears out of most games for significant periods. Compared to a medium forward like Luke Breust after 5 seasons. Breust had laid 4 or more tackles in 65 games, Freddy in 7 games. Breust kicked bags of 3 or more goals in 40 games, Freddy 5 games. In his career Breust kicked 4 or more goals in 28 games. Fred has never kicked a bag of 4 goals. Even as a 32 yo Breust comes on for a quarter yesterday and kicks 2 goals and tackles 3 times. More than Freddy 4 quarters. Different players sure, but maybe shows we need a different type of medium forward in the mix.

On Pixel 7 using BigFooty.com mobile app

There’s only 3 decent mids in the side and the support cast are bottom 4 in quality. When the 3 tire, teams just walk over us and they tire because they have to do everything.

What’s more concerning is that there’s more over 30’s in the midfield than under 21’s so we aren’t getting any better any time soon.

Then select Will Brodie. Throw O'Meara and/or Switkowski into the middle a little bit more in the first 3 quarters so our A team are fresh for the last quarter. Try something, just sitting there biting your nails watching it unravel is unacceptable.

Nik Nat is over rated but he has a twin who is chubby and not athletic. Having similar DNA doesn't mean you have the same work ethic, discipline, etc.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Freddy was better years ago. In his fifth season and little development. Doesn't kick many goals, doesn't tackle and disappears out of most games for significant periods. Compared to a medium forward like Luke Breust after 5 seasons. Breust had laid 4 or more tackles in 65 games, Freddy in 7 games. Breust kicked bags of 3 or more goals in 40 games, Freddy 5 games. In his career Breust kicked 4 or more goals in 28 games. Fred has never kicked a bag of 4 goals. Even as a 32 yo Breust comes on for a quarter yesterday and kicks 2 goals and tackles 3 times. More than Freddy 4 quarters. Different players sure, but maybe shows we need a different type of medium forward in the mix.

On Pixel 7 using BigFooty.com mobile app

I would call both of them small forwards, not medium forwards. Nitpicking aside, while it is fair to want Freddy to do a little bit more, it's not really fair to compare him with one of the all-time greatest small forwards.

Nik Nat is over rated but he has a twin who is chubby and not athletic. Having similar DNA doesn't mean you have the same work ethic, discipline, etc.
That's a fair point.
The other case in point would be Nathan Ablett vs Gary Ablett Jr. I think it's fair to say that Nathan came out ahead in the DNA lottery - though both of them got dealt very good hands - but Gary was the one willing to build an AFL career.

Jordan supposedly never even spoke to Rodman off court when they got their 3-peat together, they didn't like each other but they both wanted to win at all costs so they did. We need more players like that, professional with that win at all costs mentality. Current mob seem way to chill and matesy, epitomised by our captain Alex Pearce who appears more concerned about his hair than winning. We wont win a flag with this team, we do not have enough winners on the list.

Ryan Reynolds Wtf GIF

Remove this Banner Ad

Roast Vent Here

Remove this Banner Ad

Back