Opinion Vent - Players you wanted your club to draft but they didnt

Remove this Banner Ad

Darcy Fogarty instead of Stephenson

During the Flak of Jacket Dodo Head era that has me seeing red:

2006 - Travis Boak or Joel Selwood instead of Scott Gumbleton - we still had Lloyd & Lucas at this point for at least another 2 years (they ended up retiring end of 2009) - still baffles me to this day

2007 - David Myers - I wanted Cyril or Dangerfield who both had that X factor and could change a game in a quarter

2009 - Jake Melksham - as mentioned previously Lloyd and Lucas retired at the end of this season. Jack Gunston (whose Dad Ray was involved with Essendon for a number of years) should have been picked here

2010 - Dyson Heppell - no offence but we needed another key forward and we should have taken Tom Lynch here. Imagine Lynch, Gunston and Ryder/Hurley up forward. Frightening.

2011 - Eliott Kavanagh - after scraping into the finals and getting flogged by Carlton we needed pace and skill = Bradley Hill was who we needed here

2014 - Kyle Langford and Jayden Laverde. Again no offence. We lost again in the elimination final this time to the Roos by 12 points and our mids got spanked. Touk Miller played juniors in the EDFL and was Vic Metro captain and was right under our nose in our own backyard and we didn't take him!

2015 - Aaron Francis - should have taken one of the Vic Country "Twin Towers" in Harry McKay or Charlie Curnow

2016 - the year of the "top ups" saw us get pick 1 and take Andrew McGrath when the best pure footballer in the draft was fellow Ballarat schoolboy and the dairy farm lad from Allansford in "the Suitcase" Hugh McCluggage

Last edited:

Carlton's 20 years of being ignorant/second rate at drafting results in so many names for this:
2000 Pick 4: Luke Livingston over Shaun Burgoyne, Daniel Kerr and Daniel Cross.
2004 Pick 9: Jordan Russell over Mark Lecras, Matt Rosa and Nathan van Berlo.
2009 Pick 12: Kane Lucas over Mitch Duncan, Jack Gunston and Max Gawn.
2010 Pick 18: Matthew Watson over Cam Guthrie, Luke Parker and Isaac Smith.

Kane Lucas and Mitch Duncan where best friends funnily enough
Remember sitting with there dads at a WA under 18's game

Never follow the draft too closely but I was pissed we didn’t take Bobby Hill - we went with Sam Sturt at 18 from memory. I loved the idea of keeping the Hill name synonymous with Freo. Plus we needed (and still do) small forwards.

Also wanted LDU over Brayshaw. Just seemed like the guy to build around.

Ben Brown. Dogs Chose Matt Fuller a few picks before. Also Tom Barrass was taken the pick after.

Curnow instead of Weideman. If only I had a time machine.

Haha. Same. What a blunder.

I really wanted Darling in 2010. Instead we picked up Lucas Cook at pick 10. (I also wanted Tom Lynch but GC snapped him up one pick before with their bonanza of picks).

We did do alright with the later picks but this was another burnt early pick on the wrong KPF. We’ve had a few.

There's a part of me thinking back to 2004, saying to myself 'what if we drafted Buddy instead of Tambling', only for me to recognize that the club was a basketcase back then and he wouldn't have lived up to his potential like he did at Hawthorn

Once you hear the name Dillon Viojo-Rainbow (taken one pick ahead of Touk and Maynard), you’ll begin to understand.

apocalypse now horror GIF by Maudit

Fantastic name, though.

I don’t follow the draft closely every year, but I did in 2022:

IMG_2513.jpeg

Hopefully Busslinger debuts next year and I have egg on my face.

I was also keen on us trading up to draft Tsatas that year (Bulldogs were one of the clubs looking at trading up for the ESS pick to draft him), so I won’t be moving into professional recruiting any time soon.

2014 - Hugh Goddard over Langford (lol)
2015 - Curnow over Francis
2016 - McCluggage over McGrath
2019 - wanted us to trade Daniher to Sydney for 5 and 9 to take Flanders and Kemp
2020 - Bruhn instead of Reid
2022 - Phillipou instead of Tsatas

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2014 - Hugh Goddard over Langford (lol)
2015 - Curnow over Francis
2016 - McCluggage over McGrath
2019 - wanted us to trade Daniher to Sydney for 5 and 9 to take Flanders and Kemp
2020 - Bruhn instead of Reid
2022 - Phillipou instead of Tsatas

I could be wrong but wasn't Sydney interested in Danniher earlier than 2019? I thought it was like 2016 or 2017?

Most recently Darcy Jones & Hugo Garcia.
Diesel Moloney was also one I wanted last year who went undrafted and went well in footscrays most recent game all be it as a small forward rather then defender.
This year Luke Urquhart is the one I want.

I was cast back to one yesterday. When we chose Liam Bedford over Jeff Garlett. I thought it was actually a certainty he would be picked, especially once NicNat signed. Good friends and they both played off each other quite well in Swans.

Garlett hit the ground running after 1 pre season and I dont think Bedford ever made it out of WAFL reserves if i remember right

During the Flak of Jacket Dodo Head era that has me seeing red:

2006 - Travis Boak or Joel Selwood instead of Scott Gumbleton - we still had Lloyd & Lucas at this point for at least another 2 years (they ended up retiring end of 2009) - still baffles me to this day

2007 - David Myers - I wanted Cyril or Dangerfield who both had that X factor and could change a game in a quarter

2009 - Jake Melksham - as mentioned previously Lloyd and Lucas retired at the end of this season. Jack Gunston (whose Dad Ray was involved with Essendon for a number of years) should have been picked here

2010 - Dyson Heppell - no offence but we needed another key forward and we should have taken Tom Lynch here. Imagine Lynch, Gunston and Ryder/Hurley up forward. Frightening.

2011 - Eliott Kavanagh - after scraping into the finals and getting flogged by Carlton we needed pace and skill = Bradley Hill was who we needed here

2014 - Kyle Langford and Jayden Laverde. Again no offence. We lost again in the elimination final this time to the Roos by 12 points and our mids got spanked. Touk Miller played juniors in the EDFL and was Vic Metro captain and was right under our nose in our own backyard and we didn't take him!

2015 - Aaron Francis - should have taken one of the Vic Country "Twin Towers" in Harry McKay or Charlie Curnow

2016 - the year of the "top ups" saw us get pick 1 and take Andrew McGrath when the best pure footballer in the draft was fellow Ballarat schoolboy and the dairy farm lad from Allansford in "the Suitcase" Hugh McCluggage
I had same thoughts in 2016. McCluggage to me was pick 1 by a absolute mile. I was shocked when Essendon didnt pick him up, even more shocked when GWS ignored him and then when Brisbane took him i remember thinking he was the biggest bargain at pick 3 since Chris Judd.

Maybe not quite at that level but was right that he was a clear pick 1 atleast

I’m just waiting for someone at Richmond to mention. Ben Lennon over Cripps, Ben Griffiths over Nat Fyfe, Franklin or Roughead

Back in 2019 I wanted us to draft a KPD prospect. Sam Dekoning was on the board and wanted him since his brother was already at the Club. We took Kemp at 17 and SDK went 19. We probably in desperate need in another KPD to pair with Weitering at the moment.

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Vent - Players you wanted your club to draft but they didnt

Remove this Banner Ad

Back