VFL Round 10 - Port Melbourne v Footscray, Sat 1.10pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Watched some of the game on tv today.

Thought Honeychurch showed a lot of composure and good skills. Easily BOG.
Cordy competed really well around the ground and in the ruck. Disposal let him down a little but some good marks.
Redpath. What he would do for our forward line by just having his presence there would be enough.
Stringer. I thought he faded in and out a bit. His biggest problem will be where to play him.

Howard, Pearce, Jong look like goners at end of this year.

Love watching Footscray. Suburban atmosphere, mudpit in the center, and seeing my boy Honey and the big mean unit Redpath kicking a few goals is brilliant.

Stringer frightens me to watch at times. Not afraid to fly, bump, back himself for a shot or take on anyone in a fight.

Darley play ok?
Was good when he had it, even under pressure kicks were finding the chest of our players.

Needs to get it more (that's not to say he's soft and isn't going in) to be very damaging, but I'm encouraged. Still probably got some way to go conditioning wise, I'm not 100% up to date on his fitness and frame.

Watched some of the game on tv today.

Thought Honeychurch showed a lot of composure and good skills. Easily BOG.
Cordy competed really well around the ground and in the ruck. Disposal let him down a little but some good marks.
Redpath. What he would do for our forward line by just having his presence there would be enough.
Stringer. I thought he faded in and out a bit. His biggest problem will be where to play him.

Howard, Pearce, Jong look like goners at end of this year.
I thought all three did alright. Pearce and Jong had defensive roles in which they succeeded in. Jong was tagging and playing half back. Pearce is a small nuggety shut-down type, you don't judge him on his performance, you judge him on his opponents.
I thought Howard got better as the game went on and he found a decent amount of the ball which what people complain a lot about him. And that kick to set up Honeychurch's 5th was brilliant, like I said earlier, nobody else in our list could have done a kick like that.

My thoughts after watching behind goals at dogs end 1 and 3 qtr....

Cordy - play the yr out here then go forth and conquer. Good today but not great, actually took marks overhead!

Campbell - future number 1 ruck, gun

Stringer - he McCrae and Libba will become an incredible midfield. Not a.forward.

Roberts - His matchup, Bonnaddio didnt kick a goal for Port. Nothing else to be said.

Darley - didnt get much of it and wasnt dirty at end of game. Used ball ok.

Redpath - kicked some goals but needs to realise he can be the man. Not confident enough and needs to demand the ball.

Honeychurch - wow, best 22 fo sur.

Talia was handy and only beaten once I think

51 looks good.for Footscray too.

Other listed players young, jong, were all pretty ok.

Great day!

Last edited:
That was a great game of footy (probably because we won! ).Congratulations to the vfa/l players who showed great determination also to Port Melbourne and Gary Ayres for their performance against a pretty good Afl reserve team who are learning to play together. Best ( I think} were Lower, Campbell, HONEY Goodes and Stringer. It was great to hear the Footscray name again

Paul Amy ‏@PaulAmy375 38s
Mitch Honeychurch, Lachie Hunter and Jake Stringer all had 25 disposals for Footscray in the VFL today. And kicked 10 goals between them.

giphy.gif

I was skeptical of Maple but it looks like he has the side playing good football with the development of many youngsters progressing nicely. Not only that we are knocking off teams like Port Melbourne.

I wonder what Fronkalicious' drinking partner blackpup has to say about this.

Good points Oor Wally.

Not enough credit given to Port Melbourne's remarkably strong brand and support given they've only ever played in the VFA/VFL. Loved the insights into the huddle with Gary Ayres too, he's a great coach and always enjoy hearing what he has to say.

You just have to wonder what could have been. Back in 1897, the only reason Port Melbourne weren't admitted to the breakaway VFL was because of their rowdy crowds, which were renowned for poor behaviour, with St Kilda joining the breakaway league instead and going on to lose their next 42 games...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2014 Peter Jackson VFL

Port Melbourne 4.1 9.3 12.7 13.8 (86)
Footscray Bulldogs 7.0 11.2 15.3 19.8 (122)

GOALS:
Port Melbourne: Connors 4 Magner 2 Johnston Johnston Cain O'Sullivan Valenti Scipione Beasley
Footscray Bulldogs: Honeychurch 5 Stringer 3 Redpath 3 Iaccarino 2 Hunter 2 Campbell Prismall Lower Cordy

BEST:
Port Melbourne: Pinwill O'Sullivan Valenti Magner Cain Connors
Footscray Bulldogs: Honeychurch Lower Stringer Hunter Russell Goodes

Last edited:
Loved that game. After watching Willi get smacked by this mob all the time it was good to see Footscray show them how its done. Boys where sharp and could have been really ugly if conditions were dry. It makes me wonder if Willi looked past there pride and played more Dogs players how good they may have been. Looking up for club. I was proud to watch that effort against a really strong team off men.

Now. I appreciate that the ABC go to the trouble of televising a game that has the wider appeal of yesterdays jocks, but every time I watch their telecast I need to resist the urge to throw the remote at the television. It wasn't bad enough that it took Brad Boyd 3 quarters to correct himself, but when he did he tried to laugh it off as the work of his producer. Hope he doesn't hold his breath waiting for a call up to the big show. Then there's Phil Cleary and his myopic views on everything that is non AFL aligned...

As for the game. Lower was the standout for mine, played a 4 quarter game in conditions that suited him down to the ground.

There's little doubt that playing back is not part of "Jesse's" future going forward but part of the learning curve that he needs to undertake to become a more complete player. Today we saw another tantalizing glimpse of the midfield beast within.

There was a lot to like in today's performance. I'll be very surprised if we don't bring some honey with us to Adelaide next week. Looks ready.

i watched the whole game. very impressed. here is my 2 bobs worth:

Cordy - thought he turned the corner... Played tirelessly in the ruck and up forward. Took a heap of nice marks today also.

Campbell - worked well with ayce today . Marked well and rucked well

Stringer - physically man handled the game from half way through the 3rd quarter when we were challenged and dominated. Kicked a freak goal in the last which not many in the league could do. He will be a gun once he matures in a few years time. Loved the passage of play when he tackled a port guy over the boundary line and nearly broke his hand ! tough bastard ...

Roberts - seemed to win most contests all day

Redpath - Sould have been elevated not austin.. Nuff said :(

Jong - seriously will be a fantastic player in a few years time. Getting better and more confident the more he plays

Honeychurch - If macca does not elevate him next week he is a dead set Muppet !

Talia - not really a stand out. Did his job

Young - Had a dirty first half but seemed to grow in confidence from half way throught he 3rd and didnt look back. Still think he is only a VFL player

Really rapt after watching this one on channel 2.

Thought we struggled against undersized Frankston, but turned it on today against VFL powerhouse Port.

Some tough games coming up. Just the thing for the boys to gain more experience against quality opposition.

because we are winning.

Absolutely. Winning is the name of the game. Ask successful clubs.

If I had to choose, I would easily choose Footscray matches over our seniors matches right now. Footscray matches make you smile, our seniors make you want to come home and get hammered to wash away the pain.

Honeychurch is special and Jake Stringer should be played forward of centre all the time.

Hunter was good as was Campbell and Cordy did some nice things.

Great to see Chris Maple appealing to show some Bulldogs spirit in the last term. Needs to be more of that fight and heart shown by the seniors.

Remove this Banner Ad

VFL Round 10 - Port Melbourne v Footscray, Sat 1.10pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Back