VFL strategy

Remove this Banner Ad

MRobbo, what makes you say that the doggies are looking to switch?

The is a strain in the relationship between Werribee and the Bulldogs.

Now that Williamstown are not with Collingwood, Willy are very keen in going with the Bulldogs.

Hence Werribee would be looking for an alignment and Kangaroos are the best option.

Talks with Frankston never really got started and the Dolphins will remain stand alone next year.

Let's get Coburg to give Richmond the flick and team up with them. It would be a lot easier for me to really support our affiliate if they were the club that I used to follow in the VFA.

Let's get Coburg to give Richmond the flick and team up with them. It would be a lot easier for me to really support our affiliate if they were the club that I used to follow in the VFA.

Same here - used to sell lollies at Coburg on Sundays.

would coburg be willing to change their strip???

i don't want our ressies to be playing with the tigers!

EDIT: same thing goes for werribee!!

I heard that Big Donald has met with Port Melbourne and Frankston in the last couple of days.

A bit surprising considering that the previous North Melbourne - Port Melbourne alignment ended with a fair degree of acrimony.

Also, didn't we also try and negotiate with Frankston after our relationship with Port Melbourne ended, but we didn't proceed because neither club could agree on how our palyers would be used by Frankston?

Does anybody have a preference for what should happen with the development players or those left over each week?

What about going it alone?

Going it alone would be the perfect solution, but it's expensive.

Geelong being a stand alone side has helped their player development immensly IMO. It was fantastic for us when Petrie, Harris, Jones, Motlop and Pratt were fringe players.

The key problem is how the players are used. Firstly, we had the problem with Port Melbourne that only a set number of North listed players would be in the Port's first team. Then we had no say in what roles those North players would have when they did play - to take an extreme example, Trotter was always used as a tagger when he really should have been learning his trade as a play maker in the midfield. IT's stuffed up his development, he'll probably be delisted, and he and our club have lost out.

A few of these options were discussed with the head of the VFL on 3AW Sports Tonight on Thursday. He did confirm the relationship between the doggies and Werribee was strained so that was a possible opening for us, and that discussions were open with Frankston.
Williamstown would be a good fit for us too.

It's just musical chairs. These VFA clubs are (rightly) proud clubs and they want control. But AFL clubs also want control of our listed players. There will always be problems.

I actually thought that the Dogs and Werribee and the Pies and Williamstown all had pretty healthy working relationships.

Same here - used to sell lollies at Coburg on Sundays.

I followed Coburg too. Loved the mighty Lions in their navy blue with red sash and red shorts. Lots of Coburg, Pascoe Vale, Brunswick people followed the Roos.

Loved City Oval, loved everything about Coburg. Even loved it when North moved there. Jack Edwards coached Coburg, Brad Nimmo joined North from Coburg. We should have grabbed Porter before he went to Carlton.

Let's align with Coburg next.

I followed Coburg too. Loved the mighty Lions in their navy blue with red sash and red shorts. Lots of Coburg, Pascoe Vale, Brunswick people followed the Roos.

Loved City Oval, loved everything about Coburg. Even loved it when North moved there. Jack Edwards coached Coburg, Brad Nimmo joined North from Coburg. We should have grabbed Porter before he went to Carlton.

Let's align with Coburg next.[/quote

Being a Brunswick Supporter for over 25 years it was difficult barracking for Port Melbourne with our boys playing with them......now you want me to barrack for COBURG !!!!...Dont know who l hate the most. Can we go it alone pleeeeeeease .:(

Let's align with Coburg next.[/quote

Being a Brunswick Supporter for over 25 years it was difficult barracking for Port Melbourne with our boys playing with them......now you want me to barrack for COBURG !!!!...Dont know who l hate the most. Can we go it alone pleeeeeeease .:(

We often found our way to the Brunswick City Oval as well. Loved their jumpers! Were they the Magpies?

Funny, I don't recall a bitter rivalry between the next door neighbours, except when they played each other. How could I not like Brunswick? We go Schimma and Greig from there didn't we? And I went to school with Barry Nolan.

I'd like to go it alone too. But if we can't, please try to find it in your heart to support the Burgers.

Yeah dont get me wrong I fullly support NB but the Burgers were my VFA side in the old days.
Good times in the 80,s hey GK.

The 80s? Might be out of line but I'm tipping GK was selling Pollywaffles around the time a very young Phil Cleary was breaking into the first 18.

Oops, I mean 16.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Any chance of the Murray Kangaroos making a comeback? How was that for the development of our players compared to affiliating with VFL teams?

Going it alone would be the perfect solution, but it's expensive.

Yes and no.

Sure, it costs circa $350K per annum to field a team. But having a stand alone ressies side makes it much more difficult for the AFL and our rogue directors to relocate us.

Not to mention the accelerated player development, having those not in the 1st XVIII playing together and in the appropriate positions, with our coaches running the show.

When you look at it from my point of view, it's a small price to pay.

FWIW - slapping a $10 levy on all adult memberships would generate enough revenue to cover half the operating costs. Sponsors could cover the shortfall, without dipping into the existing piggy bank. And if that was too hard - (speaking out of school here), I'm sure the VPs & Northerners would be able to raise enough coin.

Yes and no.

Sure, it costs circa $350K per annum to field a team. But having a stand alone ressies side makes it much more difficult for the AFL and our rogue directors to relocate us.

I would have thought that it cost a lot more thant $350k to field a stand alone team.

For all the benefits (as we see them), I don't know why a club like Collingwood doesn't field their own VFL side.

Earlier this year, there was talk that the AFL were considering a return to having stand alone VFL sides for the Victorian AFL clubs. Hopefully they'll take this path in the next few years.

I would have thought that it cost a lot more thant $350k to field a stand alone team.

You'd get change out of $400K. Mental if we don't go alone.

Just need a venue to play home games. You'd think that one of the old VFA grounds such as Brunswick or Northcote could be used for a small cost.

You'd get change out of $400K. Mental if we don't go alone.

Just need a venue to play home games. You'd think that one of the old VFA grounds such as Brunswick or Northcote could be used for a small cost.

I can't see why we couldn't have a "ground share" arrangement with one of the other VFA clubs. Take Coburg for instance, it would double the use of their ground (increasing revenue) whilst splitting the cost between two sides.

I can't see why we couldn't have a "ground share" arrangement with one of the other VFA clubs. Take Coburg for instance, it would double the use of their ground (increasing revenue) whilst splitting the cost between two sides.

Coburg works for me, seeing as though we have ties with that venue (our VFL home ground in 1965?)

Talking about sharing the venue as a stand alone reserves team. Not aligning with Coburg.

OK - misread that - apologies. I don't think stand alone is an option. Whenever it is raised they say it costs too much. If so - share at Coburg would be fantastic.

we could bring out the reserves based membership $20-30 to help generate revenue for the venture and try to make it a possibility of hosting games at arden st.

Remove this Banner Ad

VFL strategy

Remove this Banner Ad

Back