Mega Thread VICBias - Genuine Discussion Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Not a semblance of equality - yet it's possibly the most even sporting competition in the entire world.

It's the entitled clubs doing most of the whinging. It's the entitled clubs who have this premiership or nothing attitude. You only think that if that's what you've come to expect. Clubs and leagues wouldn't survive if everyone had that attitude.

WCE had a period of dominance and have performed well above par under any measure. But they thought their dominance would continue forever, so now they're complaining that they're back in the pack of a level playing field.

Port are so used to having a comp stacked massively in their favour where they always won that they think an even comp is unfair against them.

Sydney have gotten so many leg ups over the last 25 years that they just expect them and actually complain about disadvantage despite having recruiting rules tipped in their favour, thus ensuring they're always a strong team.

The Freo fans are the only Non-Vic fans in this thread actually coming from a position of disadvantage, as their introduction to the league was a complete balls up, which left them screwed for a couple of decades and the smell of failure sticks around for a fair while, probably costing them recruits and players.
You always point out the non vic leg ups but fail to recognise that your team, without a doubt hold the position of the most "Leg up" assisted team in the comp.

BAR NON!!!

In 2015 the PFs were

Freo (1st in H&A) v Hawks (3rd in H&A)
WC (2nd in H&A) v North (8th in H&A)

Why didnt the "higher ranked H&A" team Freo get the "easier" PF?

The point is H&A rankings aren't used for any match-ups after week 1, teams go into set brackets, H&A rankings are redundant in current finals system.

But the VICBias wowsers think that after not being used to determine match-ups in week 2 or week 3, that all of a sudden H&A rankings are relevant again!??
In 2018 the PFs were:

Richmond (1st) v Collingwood (3rd)
West Coast (2nd) v Melbourne (5th)

How come Collingwood weren't the 'home' team in the grand final, given they knocked off Richmond who were the top ranked team?

That's the impression you give, like all the non vics on here.

So I'm not allowed to opine it's odd that people who whinge, complain, detest, whatever term you care to use MUST follow this league?

I find it odd, if you don't like this opinion, then don't read it.

Having a tough few days mate? How do you not understand people wanting to follow the top tier of the game? How is that strange to you?
And again what is wrong with pointing out flaws of the league and how it operates if thats what we think?

Just don't understand why this bothers you so much.

Anyway I hope you feel better.

In 2018 the PFs were:

How come Collingwood weren't the 'home' team in the grand final, given they knocked off Richmond who were the top ranked team?

They were, it was there home ground. They had 65% of the fans there. You couldnt make it more their home ground if you tried.

You always point out the non vic leg ups but fail to recognise that your team, without a doubt hold the position of the most "Leg up" assisted team in the comp.

BAR NON!!!

I'm not claiming that Collingwood are disadvantaged - we're clearly in a strong position, although not really the special rules for us that Sydney have had, it's more our size gives us benefits that smaller clubs don't get. I'm pointing out the ridiculousness of supporters of a club complaining about being disadvantaged, when they have had a series of special rules to help them - resulting in them always playing finals, playing in a lot of grand finals and winning a couple in the last 20 years. It's really odd.

They were, it was there home ground. They had 65% of the fans there. You couldnt make it more their home ground if you tried.
I think the poster was pointing out that you don't take the number 1 ranking if you beat number 1 or come from that prelim. The grand final was listed as WCE vs Coll. With "home" team listed first. Just as last year was Coll vs Bris - as we were the higher ranked team - having finished top.

And that 2016 GF that's been discussed was Syd vs Dogs.

I'm not claiming that Collingwood are disadvantaged - we're clearly in a strong position, although not really the special rules for us that Sydney have had, it's more our size gives us benefits that smaller clubs don't get. I'm pointing out the ridiculousness of supporters of a club complaining about being disadvantaged, when they have had a series of special rules to help them - resulting in them always playing finals, playing in a lot of grand finals and winning a couple in the last 20 years. It's really odd.

I'm also opposed to the special northern academy rules that compromises the shit out of the draft, but they're not really the point of the thread.

I'm also opposed to the special northern academy rules that compromises the shit out of the draft, but they're not really the point of the thread.
They are when we've got our Sydney fans piling on to a chorus of vicbias.

Maybe, the discussion could be East Coast bias. I still don't think you've got much of a case, but it'd make more sense than Vicbias.

I actually think that's what WA and SA fans will segue to in a few years time - as all of the Northern clubs do actually get AFL designed advantages rather than those created by geography and fan demographics - and those Northern clubs are all set for a very nice run at the pointy end of the comp.

You'll cheer the first couple of Non-Vic flags - and then it will dawn on you that you don't barrack for Sydney Brisbane Gold Coast GWS and them winning isn't so great. Just as Hawthorn, Richmond, Collingwood and Geelong winning flags isn't so great for the rest of the Vic footy fans - for must of them it's bloody awful and they'd prefer to see a GWS flag too.

Last edited:
I think the poster was pointing out that you don't take the number 1 ranking if you beat number 1 or come from that prelim. The grand final was listed as WCE vs Coll. With "home" team listed first. Just as last year was Coll vs Bris - as we were the higher ranked team - having finished top.

And that 2016 GF that's been discussed was Syd vs Dogs.
Funnily enough it actually used to be winner of PF1.

Patrick Keane sent this tweet in the lead up to the 2015 GF:

IMG_1229.jpeg

At the time, this was in keeping with every other year under the current system that the minor premier had not won directly through:
  • 2002 Collingwood (4th) vs Brisbane (2nd)
  • 2003 Bris (3) vs Coll (2)
  • 2005 Syd (3) vs WCE (2)
  • 2006 Syd (4) vs WCE (1)

But then for some reason they backflipped in 2016. Sydney (1) lost their QF and so ended up on the bottom half of the draw. GWS hosted PF1 and lost to the Bulldogs, so under that convention the GF should’ve been WB v Syd. And indeed the early versions of the AFL record were printed that way:

IMG_1231.jpeg

Nobody knows why this decision was made, and no announcements were made at the time.

A couple years down the track in 2018, Keane then made this tweet, which clearly contradicts his earlier one from 2015:

IMG_1230.jpeg

And it’s been that way ever since. 2019 would’ve been GWS vs Richmond under the old convention.

So basically, the AFL makes up the rules as they go.

The reason WC did well was the same as Collingwood. They are massive and could throw cash at every problem. That ship has sailed with off-field caps so it will be interesting on how long it takes WC to recover and if the same fate will befall Collingwood on your next rebuild.

Collingwood seems to be able to get the pick of free agents though so probably still in a better position than most.

You'll cheer the first couple of Non-Vic flags - and then it will dawn on you that you don't barrack for Sydney Brisbane Gold Coast GWS and them winning isn't so great. Just as Hawthorn, Richmond, Collingwood and Geelong winning flags isn't so great for the rest of the Vic footy fans - for must of them it's bloody awful and they'd prefer to see a GWS flag too.

Meh, if the Eagles aren't in it I can usually find a reason to be happy regardless of result. Like the year Hawthorn beat Sydney I was happy because Matt Spangher got a Premiership medal.

View attachment 2100365

At the time, this was in keeping with every other year under the current system that the minor premier had not won directly through:

But then for some reason they backflipped in 2016. Sydney (1) lost their QF and so ended up on the bottom half of the draw. GWS hosted PF1 and lost to the Bulldogs, so under that convention the GF should’ve been WB v Syd. And indeed the early versions of the AFL record were printed that way:

View attachment 2100369

Nobody knows why this decision was made, and no announcements were made at the time.

A couple years down the track in 2018, Keane then made this tweet, which clearly contradicts his earlier one from 2015:

View attachment 2100370

And it’s been that way ever since. 2019 would’ve been GWS vs Richmond under the old convention.

The easiest thing to do would just go off the highest on the ladder at the end of the H/A is first. I don't care if you lose a final on the way, you are there so the season should count for something.

The reason WC did well was the same as Collingwood. They are massive and could throw cash at every problem. That ship has sailed with off-field caps so it will be interesting on how long it takes WC to recover and if the same fate will befall Collingwood on your next rebuild.

Collingwood seems to be able to get the pick of free agents though so probably still in a better position than most.

Exactly. Blues and Essendon as the 2nd and 3rd biggest Vic clubs with similar slightly watered down versions of Pies advantages sure didn't bounce quickly. Tiges have actually been pretty bloody bad for most of the AFL era - their run of being good and winning flags are the anomalies for them - not this years spoon. Will they get back up quickly?

We haven't had any free agency success though. For us it's been the luck of Father Son.

Quinten Lynch, Clinton Young, Daniel Wells played about 3 games for us, Chris Mayne was OK - but well overpaid. I can't think of any others.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The easiest thing to do would just go off the highest on the ladder at the end of the H/A is first. I don't care if you lose a final on the way, you are there so the season should count for something.
I think the GF should go to the team that wins it.
IE: If Sydney wins it this year, next year they get the GF in NSW.

But we all know it's never leaving the MCG, so it's just dreaming.

Going to the 2021 Grand Final was one of the best experiences of my life, and was a cracking match for a neutral ... for about three quarters.

Everyone should have that opportunity. It shouldn't take a global ****ing pandemic.

Sometimes I think it's wild that I've seen more Melbourne premierships live than most Melbourne supporters. But then I remember more random Victorians have seen more Eagles premierships than I ever will, even when no Victorian team was competing.

In 2018 the PFs were:

See SuperSub's post.

The AFL likes to frequently make things up and change their minds on issues as they go along.

Why H&A ladder position becomes relevant for GF when it hasn't for Wk2 or Wk3 of finals is unclear?

Going to the 2021 Grand Final was one of the best experiences of my life, and was a cracking match for a neutral ... for about three quarters.

Everyone should have that opportunity. It shouldn't take a global ****ing pandemic.
Outside of a pandemic it would be even harder for locals to get into a non MCG GF than a MCG GF. Remember in 2021 90% of the GF club members weren't allowed to enter WA.

Oh here we go again, look how many posts he has made.

Why didn't you give us one of your childish gifs as well?

You are the one that comes in here and cries about everything, I am here so often because there are many of you to laugh at, I love it in here, it's the best comedy show around.

So keep it up ole mate, it's so f%^%#%$ funny watch you cry.
Dawsons Creek Crying Dawson GIF by HULU

Sometimes I think it's wild that I've seen more Melbourne premierships live than most Melbourne supporters. But then I remember more random Victorians have seen more Eagles premierships than I ever will, even when no Victorian team was competing.

I went to the 1991 one at VFL Park and about a month later bought a WCE Premiers 1991 t shirt from an OP shop with a massive cartoon of Langdon holding the Cup. It amused me.

Last edited:
Outside of a pandemic it would be even harder for locals to get into a non MCG GF than a MCG GF. Remember in 2021 90% of the GF club members weren't allowed to enter WA.
This is also the myth around rotation of the GF.

It will actually mean less tickets available to competing club members, and it would be extremely rare that there would ever be any sale to locals.

I went to the 1991 one at VFL Park and about a month later bought a WCE Premiers 1991 t shirt from an OP shop with a massive cartoon of Langdon holding the Cup. It amused me.

My Eagles-supporting mate rocked up at my place to watch a Grand Final wearing a 2015 Grand Final tshirt.

I came close to refusing him entry.

View attachment 2100365

View attachment 2100369

View attachment 2100370

But I thought h&a ranking wasnt recognised after wk1 of finals???

Dogs are playing a home final at the MCG, a ground where they've played once since the opening game of the season. The last time Dogs played there was round 10, which means 16 teams have played at the MCG more recently than Dogs. Only Fremantle played there less recent. How's that for #VICBIAS?

See SuperSub's post.

The AFL likes to frequently make things up and change their minds on issues as they go along.

Why H&A ladder position becomes relevant for GF when it hasn't for Wk2 or Wk3 of finals is unclear?
Yes, doppleganger knows all, so it must be the AFL that gets it wrong on those occasions.

Dogs are playing a home final at the MCG, a ground where they've played once since the opening game of the season. The last time Dogs played there was round 10, which means 16 teams have played at the MCG more recently than Dogs. Only Fremantle played there less recent. How's that for #VICBIAS?
Because Hawthorn is getting the advantage in this instance and you know, they're Victorian.

Remove this Banner Ad

Mega Thread VICBias - Genuine Discussion Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back