Mega Thread VICBias - Genuine Discussion Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

I didnt include that game. They had 11 homs MCG games and won 9-11.
The Dees didnt have 11 home MCG games is the point. If you are talking overall games, Melbourne had 13 MCG games, winning 11 of the 13. 7 of the 13 were neutral games against other MCG teams.

They only had 10 home MCG games, and won 9 of 10. The Dees also played 3 away games at the G - they beat Hawks and Tigers, but lost to Carlton.

The Dees played one of their home games in the NT against GWS, and lost by 2 points.

Play that "home" game at their actual home ground, where they enjoy a home ground advantage, they would have won.

The Dees would have finished 2nd in 2023 if AFL House actually fixtured all Melbourne home games at their home ground.

The Dees didnt have 11 home MCG games is the point. If you are talking overall games, Melbourne had 13 MCG games, winning 11 of the 13. 7 of the 13 were neutral games against other MCG teams.

They only had 10 home MCG games, and won 9 of 10. The Dees also played 3 away games at the G - they beat Hawks and Tigers, but lost to Carlton.

The Dees played one of their home games in the NT against GWS, and lost by 2 points.

Play that "home" game at their actual home ground, where they enjoy a home ground advantage, they would have won.

The Dees would have finished 2nd in 2023 if AFL House actually fixtured all Melbourne home games at their home ground.
If you want to dive into this line of discussion, it doesn't get much worse than the Geelong fixture

I think any Victorian team that wins a premiership should have an asterisk attached.

Also going forward I think the Grandfinal should only be played in Darwin.

Also also I think we should just have a tournament for the vic teams for preseason and only allow 2 teams in.

Also also also I think we should just give Sydney the premiership cup now.

If you want to dive into this line of discussion, it doesn't get much worse than the Geelong fixture
Have delved into it all thread.

The WA wowsers think Geelong have a golden fixture, because they only get on a plane 7 times.

But realistically, Geelong's difficulty depends on how you rate their games against co-tenants at the G.

Have delved into it all thread.

The WA wowsers think Geelong have a golden fixture, because they only get on a plane 7 times.

But realistically, Geelong's difficulty depends on how you rate their games against co-tenants at the G.

Geelong so far have played in Adelaide twice not consecutively, Brisbane, Sydney, Darwin and still are to go to Perth and Hobart.

By my checklist that is every state and territory except ACT and that’s basically like going to NSW anyway which they’ve already done.

More travel than a lot of other Vic sides.

I think any Victorian team that wins a premiership should have an asterisk attached.

Also going forward I think the Grandfinal should only be played in Darwin.

Also also I think we should just have a tournament for the vic teams for preseason and only allow 2 teams in.

Also also also I think we should just give Sydney the premiership cup now.

I can see why you want it given to you, given Sydney are Collingwoodesque when it comes to shitting the bed on GF day.

You're in for a good stint I think. Quality mids, quality talls. Need to add some flankers, but they're usually cheaper and easier to find and come on quicker.

I agree, personally I think we need a different coach to take us to a premiership but if we don't win one with this group it won't be because of vicbias or AFL inequality, it will be because we aren't good enough. Simple as that.

Should be multiple foot notes attached.

* Plays more than their allotted 11 home games at the MCG versus co-tenants or blockbuster matches.
** Has an undeserved home ground GF versus an interstate club.
*** Travels outside of the state less than an interstate clubs.

Should be multiple foot notes attached.

* Plays more than their allotted 11 home games at the MCG versus co-tenants or blockbuster matches.
** Has an undeserved home ground GF versus an interstate club.
*** Travels outside of the state less than an interstate clubs.
Good to know that those asterixes would only apply to

As Geelong, Dogs and Hawthorn dont play 11 games at the G each year.

Geelong and Hawthorn play as many, if not more gamed outside of their home city as the SA clubs.

And the G aint the Dogs or Cats home ground.

Never let the facts get in the way of an SA sook

Geelong and Hawthorn play as many, if not more gamed outside of their home city as the SA clubs.

I would take those 4 premierships over the current status quo. Probably a lot less chatter about VICBias.

Just so I know what you are saying, HGA is when you play a game that you have a major percentage crowd favour? Would that be how you would describe what HGA is? We all know travel is nothing. Ground dimensions don’t mean much? So it can only be crowd yes? What is the percentage in your view where you would believe you have an advantage? Just curious.

Just so I know what you are saying, HGA is when you play a game that you have a major percentage crowd favour? Would that be how you would describe what HGA is? We all know travel is nothing. Ground dimensions don’t mean much? So it can only be crowd yes? What is the percentage in your view where you would believe you have an advantage? Just curious.

Why even bother mate. You’re literally banging your head against a wall.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why even bother mate. You’re literally banging your head against a wall.

Well I am interested in his view, I also think he is a pretty good person to discuss footy with so I am not looking for any gotcha moment. I agree with you it’s like banging your head against a wall , but clearly they feel the same about us.

Home advantage has several components:

• Crowd support, which leads to official bias
  • Crowd support, home team encouraged v away team intimidated by fans
  • Familiarity with ground, defending home turf has a pysch aspect
  • Familiarity with ground biological, research shows players at home have greater testosterone levels

IMHO the umpire bias via crowd is the biggest aspect

Ground dimensions are a bit of a furphy for mine, as home ground advantage exists in indoor sports like basketball where court dimensions are exactly the same.

And the sleeping in hotels in also a laugh for professional atheletes. Watch how many Olympian's set personal bests and world records in France, despite sleeping in a hotel and being away from home.

The results are clear, in H&A you want to be a team that has a home ground. They finish higher on the ladder.

And the sleeping in hotels in also a laugh for professional atheletes. Watch how many Olympian's set personal bests and world records in France, despite sleeping in a hotel and being away from home.
Yes lets compare every Olympian sleeping in hotels (all on a equal footing) to certain AFL clubs having to sleep twice as much in hotels compared to others. Bizarre take.

• Crowd support, which leads to official bias
  • Crowd support, home team encouraged v away team intimidated by fans
  • Familiarity with ground, defending home turf has a pysch aspect
  • Familiarity with ground biological, research shows players at home have greater testosterone levels

IMHO the umpire bias via crowd is the biggest aspect

Ground dimensions are a bit of a furphy for mine, as home ground advantage exists in indoor sports like basketball where court dimensions are exactly the same.

The results are clear, in H&A you want to be a team that has a home ground. They finish higher on the ladder.

Your Olympic example is a little strange as it’s nit like they swim one heat in the pool, fly back to Australia, then fly back to Paris for next heat etc etc. bad example mate.
So if the Pies are top of the ladder and are playing the Saints at the MCG who are last where you will get about an 80/20 crowd split to this game would you believe you have HGA in that game?

Wonder what the Collingwood sooks in this thread think of going to play against GC, who've played once at their home ground in the last 7 games and are coming off a 6 day break from the longest road trip in footy to play a Collingwood, of the bye, who haven't traveled since April.

Thoughts Collingwood wowsers?

on the flip side, Port is about to play Saints for the 9th time @ marvel in 27 years

we played 7 venues in the 1st 9 rounds
3 states in 11 days ( SA/ACT/Vic)
played Brisbane off 2 byes before we had 1(like a few other teams)
round 16 and we are about to play our 6th home game and only 5 of those at our home venue( and 3 of those vs co-tenents)

the fixation on Collingwood.......

Wonder what the Collingwood sooks in this thread think of going to play against GC, who've played once at their home ground in the last 7 games and are coming off a 6 day break from the longest road trip in footy to play a Collingwood, of the bye, who haven't traveled since April.

Yea well Olympians set personal bests and world records sleeping in hotels so why can't the suns.....

That you're making stuff up?

Some of our blokes flew to Bali and stayed in hotels last week. We're at an increcible disadvantage. Can't believe they fixtured us to a travel after the bye knowing full well that the players would be travelling the week before and not just an overnighter - 4 nights with the gruelling disadvantage of a hotel.

But seriously, the media have found a new advantage to whip up the whingers about to monetise your outrage: the advantage of coming off the bye . Here's the results before this year:

Last edited:

They should absolutely do this. Anything to reduce the burden on the clubs that are travelling to Melbourne. In an ideal world the Grand Final would be rotated to reduce this, but there is no where else with a 100k stadium. My one grand final in Melbourne also was an awesome experience, but incredibly expensive. I think I would have paid out $3500-$4000 in 2013 and I didn't pay for accommodation.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back