Mega Thread VICBias - Genuine Discussion Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Rodan is Fijian isn't he? Lukocius father I think is from Lithuania. Borlase was born in Cairo his Dad (Port SANFL Premiership captain) he was an executive with the AWB. Borlase's sister just made the Olympic Basketball squad good genetic pool.
You're right. I always thought Rodan was indigenous, but he's Fijian born - thus his sons would qualify as CALD. (CALD is a dodgy one as it's defined differently in different government departments.) Not sure how the AFL define it.

Lukosius wouldn't qualify - those born to mainstream European parents don't qualify (depending on th CALD definition used)

Borlase qualifies as he was born in Africa - I thought it was the Middle east.

Here's another thing I heard - Apparently David Rodan's kids can be NGA by Essendon I think it is, even though they are father/son by us. Reason is they have one parent born outside of Australia. However Lukocious was not eligible for us under NGA with one parent who lived overseas and living in a 2km radius of Alberton.

This is what I've been told and don't know if it is 100% the truth. Anybody know the actual rules?
If a player is part of an Academy and is a father son, the player decides which path to take.

Eg: Nick Blakey had the choice of Sydney (acedemy) or North Melbourne(f/s).

Are you sure that you're not reading the initial zones rather than the current zones? Kuwarna which is the Adelaide region seems to be part of the Crows academy.

My understanding is the original SA and WA academies were designed to have similar numbers as the Vic academies, but when they shifted to matching after 40, they opened up all of WA to the two teams from there - I thought the same thing happened in SA?

It's a pretty handy recruiting advantage - particularly for the WA teams when you consider how regularly truly great Aboriginal players come from WA.

This is the NGA zones from the AFL website. Unless it’s an old link, it’s just off that such a large chunk of SA has been cut out.

Yes they have designated majority of the populated areas but just like remote WA, NT, Qld and even NSW, why haven’t those areas been split for the SA clubs?

Would just like to know the AFLs reasoning behind these zones and how they designate their particular zones.

Also I haven’t lived in SA for 15 years but what’s with that tiny speck in the middle being a zone.

IMG_0645.jpeg

This is the NGA zones from the AFL website. Unless it’s an old link, it’s just off that such a large chunk of SA has been cut out.

Yes they have designated majority of the populated areas but just like remote WA, NT, Qld and even NSW, why haven’t those areas been split for the SA clubs?

Would just like to know the AFLs reasoning behind these zones and how they designate their particular zones.

Also I haven’t lived in SA for 15 years but what’s with that tiny speck in the middle being a zone.

View attachment 2051890
It looks like SA's native title areas aren't included. No idea why, as the WA ones are - even the exclusive native title regions.

If a player is part of an Academy and is a father son, the player decides which path to take.

Eg: Nick Blakey had the choice of Sydney (acedemy) or North Melbourne(f/s).
Nick Blakey had the choice of North Melbourne and Brisbane (FS) and Sydney (Academy)

Most conveniently overlook the Brisbane option but he could have selected them as well.

vicbias'd posters have already proved travel is no disadvantage and sharing a home ground is the true disadvantage.

105 times sr.
You're conflating posters.

My view is that when you're good enough you qualify high up the ladder regardless of what state you come from. And I think that's pretty clearly shown by results.

Travel is a disadvantage, but US research suggests the more often you travel the less disadvantaged you are by travelling. Or in other words WA teams that do the long hauls fortnightly get a bigger advantage in their home games against travelling teams and a smaller disadvantage in their away games. I do think they need to ensure breaks between are longer than they currently do though

But ultimately in terms of home and away, I think it comes down to players. Recruiting advantages trump travel. So it's strength of academies versus geographical go home factors. Depending on matching rules, if they do change to being able to match NGA kids at any point in the draft, WA clubs will be smiling. Strong go home pull with only two clubs competing for the players and better academy access than the Vic clubs. I'd still take the Northern academies though.

But then weigh it all up against the obvious advantage of an MCG grand final during the final series.

To me the worst thing you can be is a shit team from Victoria. Crap academy and you don't get the go home advantage - players choose other Vic teams plus you leak players who want success. But even then if you're shit the draft system gives you a recruiting advantage which the AFL tops up if you're shit for long enough.

The best thing you can be is a strong northern team - players stay for success and you also attract recruits as well as having the best academies to keep you up the ladder.

Ultimately though, it's an incredibly even competition.

Don't think it's necessarily bias, more just total incompetence. Why would the teams that travel the most through the season, be made to play down in Tasmania. Just to make them travel a bit more? Year after year. Bizarre, yet not surprising for this amateurishly run league.

On Pixel 7 using BigFooty.com mobile app
Just checked- stopover in Melbourne. That does suck.

Don't think it's necessarily bias, more just total incompetence. Why would the teams that travel the most through the season, be made to play down in Tasmania. Just to make them travel a bit more? Year after year. Bizarre, yet not surprising for this amateurishly run league.

It's pretty simple, the WA teams just have to ask the AFL for more Marquee and home games, worked for Collingwood and Essendon.

Hawthorn and North have two home grounds. They’ve made deals with the Tassie govt and venues, to play a set number of matches there. They’ll request interstate teams that don’t draw big crowds in Melbourne.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hawthorn and North have two home grounds. They’ve made deals with the Tassie govt and venues, to play a set number of matches there. They’ll request interstate teams that don’t draw big crowds in Melbourne.
Apparently it's Vic bias that a couple of Vic clubs play some of their home games outside of Victoria.

Apparently it's Vic bias that a couple of Vic clubs play some of their home games outside of Victoria.

Some sides desperately need more exposure to the G - the ground at which they’re forced to play the grand final, should they make it (and likely other finals, too).

Questionable sending them to Tassie, leaving them with only 1 or 2 games at the G, when there’s some clubs playing 15 or so there who wouldn’t notice if they missed out on one. But, money talks.

As an example across 2008-2019 we played:

• Geelong in Geelong 8 times
  • Hawks in Tassie 10 times

That’s 18 opportunities to play an away game at the G, that some clubs would get all 18 of, that we got none of. In that time frame we only played there 22 times during H&A (+1 final). Its no wonder we were diabolically shite there.

When you average <2 games at the G per year, getting shipped off to Tassie is far from ideal. Send the Pies/Blue/Tigers/Dons for something different (and fairer).

It’s literally VicBias that the AFL prioritises helping a Vic team chase cash in a new market because they aren’t big enough a club to draw in their home state by using an interstate club that already has a higher travel burden.

It’s literally VicBias that the AFL prioritises helping a Vic team chase cash in a new market because they aren’t big enough a club to draw in their home state by using an interstate club that already has a higher travel burden.

It's literal is it?

Is it also literally non-vicbias when they help Northern clubs chase cash and come up with opening round and preferential recruiting rules to help clubs in a new market that aren't big enough clubs to draw crowds.

It's literal is it?

Is it also literally non-vicbias when they help Northern clubs chase cash and come up with opening round and preferential recruiting rules to help clubs in a new market that aren't big enough clubs to draw crowds.
I think it was literally Vic bias when St.Kilda helped Port out and used a home game so Port could play in China.

I think a couple of Vic clubs played GC in Darwin this year, that's Vic bias also, literally.

Ask any of the clubs - all of them would sooner play in Melbourne than in Tasmania. If they thought that playing in Tasmania was a disadvantage to them why would North and Hawthorn do it?
I'm not arguing that it is a disadvantage. But if it's vicbias, surely GWS and Gold Coast playing in Canberra and Darwin against smaller drawing Vic teams is Non-vic bias?

Maybe Collingwood can help out and go to Tassie to help lighten the load.
Oh,,, they don't know were that is?
It's the big island next to your mainland.

Remove this Banner Ad

Mega Thread VICBias - Genuine Discussion Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back