Mega Thread VICBias - Genuine Discussion Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Maybe Collingwood can help out and go to Tassie to help lighten the load.
Oh,,, they don't know were that is?
It's the big island next to your mainland.

You're talking about forcing Hawthorn to play a home game against Collingwood in their secondary city. Let me know when the AFL forces GWS or Gold Coast to play a home game against Collingwood in their secondary city.

I'm not arguing that it is a disadvantage. But if it's vicbias, surely GWS and Gold Coast playing in Canberra and Darwin against smaller drawing Vic teams is Non-vic bias?
Do Vic teams end up playing in Canberra. Before this year the last time we played GWS in Sydney it was Hinkley's 5th game coaching us!

Yeah sure, am aware of that, but you can't choose to do that and then turn around and say they are disadvantaged by it.
They're not. Hawks never lose in Tassie. Just as GC don't lose in Darwin. They're sure as hell not going to play Brisbane in Darwin for obvious reasons. What's the difference when it's a Vic team with a secondary venue that don't play the big crowd pullers in that venue?

You're talking about forcing Hawthorn to play a home game against Collingwood in their secondary city. Let me know when the AFL forces GWS or Gold Coast to play a home game against Collingwood in their secondary city.
Oh come on!!! Collingwood are the LEAST travelled team in the comp.
They need to carry some load ffs.

Oh come on!!! Collingwood are the LEAST travelled team in the comp.
They need to carry some load ffs.
My point isn't about Collingwood. Why should Hawks and North be forced to play their cash cow against the pies in Tassie? The AFL are certainly not going to force GWS or Gold Coast to play a crowd puller against the pies in Canberra or Darwin.

Some sides desperately need more exposure to the G - the ground at which they’re forced to play the grand final, should they make it (and likely other finals, too).

Questionable sending them to Tassie, leaving them with only 1 or 2 games at the G, when there’s some clubs playing 15 or so there who wouldn’t notice if they missed out on one. But, money talks.

As an example across 2008-2019 we played:

• Geelong in Geelong 8 times
  • Hawks in Tassie 10 times

That’s 18 opportunities to play an away game at the G, that some clubs would get all 18 of, that we got none of. In that time frame we only played there 22 times during H&A (+1 final). Its no wonder we were diabolically shite there.

When you average <2 games at the G per year, getting shipped off to Tassie is far from ideal. Send the Pies/Blue/Tigers/Dons for something different (and fairer).

Since 2014:

Adelaide = 21 MCG 24 Marvel (45 Melbourne)
Brisbane = 19 MCG 32 Marvel (51)
FRE = 19 MCG 30 Marvel (49)
GC = 11 MCG 30 Marvel (41)
GWS = 26 MCG 27 Marvel (53)
Port = 21 MCG 26 Marvel (47)
Syd = 33 MCG 30 Marvel (66)
WC = 22 MCG 27 Marvel (49).

Sydney (South Melbourne) have had by far the most games in Melbourne by the youngest team in the AFL in GWS, with SFA Melbourne support, ahead of Brisbane (Fitzroy).

52% of Sydney’s games in Melbourne being played at the MCG, GC copping just 27%. Somehow NKOTB GWS have almost a 50/50 split.

Amazing how the Lions with the Fitzroy connection have played so many less in Melbourne (let alone MCG) than their Sydney (South Melbourne) counterparts; and have only played a couple more than Fremantle and West Coast)

They're not. Hawks never lose in Tassie. Just as GC don't lose in Darwin. They're sure as hell not going to play Brisbane in Darwin for obvious reasons. What's the difference when it's a Vic team with a secondary venue that don't play the big crowd pullers in that venue?
There's no difference having to go to Darwin or Canberra is the same as going to Tasmania.

My point isn't about Collingwood. Why should Hawks and North be forced to play their cash cow against the pies in Tassie? The AFL are certainly not going to force GWS or Gold Coast to play a crowd puller against the pies in Canberra or Darwin.
And Therein the name of the thread, vicbias, it exists purely on this fact alone.
Play the cash cow purely for money is vicbias.
Small fact though is that WC pull in as much as the big Vic's even with the bias.
Close the thread .

Since 2014:

Adelaide = 21 MCG 24 Marvel (45 Melbourne)
Brisbane = 19 MCG 32 Marvel (51)
FRE = 19 MCG 30 Marvel (49)
GC = 11 MCG 30 Marvel (41)
GWS = 26 MCG 27 Marvel (53)
Port = 21 MCG 26 Marvel (47)
Syd = 33 MCG 30 Marvel (66)
WC = 22 MCG 27 Marvel (49).

Sydney (South Melbourne) have had by far the most games in Melbourne by the youngest team in the AFL in GWS, with SFA Melbourne support, ahead of Brisbane (Fitzroy).

52% of Sydney’s games in Melbourne being played at the MCG, GC copping just 27%. Somehow NKOTB GWS have almost a 50/50 split.

Amazing how the Lions with the Fitzroy connection have played so many less in Melbourne (let alone MCG) than their Sydney (South Melbourne) counterparts; and have only played a couple more than Fremantle and West Coast)
I've never understood why the AFL seem to promote Sydney more than the other Northern teams.

Another example of it is that with the big Vic clubs getting 5 interstate games a year (6 now with Gather round) - Sydney get a home game against Collingwood every single year.

Yeah sure, am aware of that, but you can't choose to do that and then turn around and say they are disadvantaged by it.
Sure you can. They travel interstate for a home game. It takes away a lot of the normal HGA. The burdens of travel don't magically disappear because you choose to do it. They weighed up the pros and cons and decided it's worth it, for the Hawks a big factor is they tend to play the lesser teams there. This year we got the Lions in Melbourne but when they were crap all those years we played them in Tassie.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sure you can. They travel interstate for a home game. It takes away a lot of the normal HGA. The burdens of travel don't magically disappear because you choose to do it. They weighed up the pros and cons and decided it's worth it, for the Hawks a big factor is they tend to play the lesser teams there. This year we got the Lions in Melbourne but when they were crap all those years we played them in Tassie.
Well they shouldn't do it then if they are disadvantaged. Play in Melbourne.

Well they shouldn't do it then if they are disadvantaged. Play in Melbourne.
They're not disadvantaged is the simple answer - both Hawthorn and Nth have a better record in Tassie than at "home" during their time playing there.

It's been a financial and on-field win for them. Interesting to see what they do when the Tassie team joins.

Some sides desperately need more exposure to the G - the ground at which they’re forced to play the grand final, should they make it (and likely other finals, too).

Questionable sending them to Tassie, leaving them with only 1 or 2 games at the G, when there’s some clubs playing 15 or so there who wouldn’t notice if they missed out on one. But, money talks.

As an example across 2008-2019 we played:

• Geelong in Geelong 8 times
  • Hawks in Tassie 10 times

That’s 18 opportunities to play an away game at the G, that some clubs would get all 18 of, that we got none of. In that time frame we only played there 22 times during H&A (+1 final). Its no wonder we were diabolically shite there.

When you average <2 games at the G per year, getting shipped off to Tassie is far from ideal. Send the Pies/Blue/Tigers/Dons for something different (and fairer).

Not getting exposure to the MCG isn't unique to clubs from outside of Victoria. The Dogs don't play any more at the MCG then Brisbane do. In the last 13 years we have played one home and away game against Hawthorn at the MCG, their home ground. Plus, we also have to play "home" finals there, we play no finals at our home ground.

Small Victorian sides do get the advantage of the grand final in Melbourne, but much of the other vicbias advantages are confined to the bigger, richer clubs.

Not getting exposure to the MCG isn't unique to clubs from outside of Victoria. The Dogs don't play any more at the MCG than Brisbane do. In the last 13 years we have played one home and away game against Hawthorn at the MCG, their home ground. Plus, we also have to play "home" finals there, we play no finals at our home ground.

Small Victorian sides do get the advantage of the grand final in Melbourne, but much of the other vicbias advantages are confined to the bigger, richer clubs.

Very fair point - in the same period you’ve only played 24 H&A there.

Perhaps I should rephrase my argument as BIG4-VICBias. 🤔

Because they rarely have to go...if ever. We will get at least one per year plus an almost guaranteed trip to Geelong as well. When did Collingwood last make the onerous trip to Geelong.

What's the issue with you guys going to Geelong? It's their home ground. But agree that it shouldn't be every year and should be evenly distributed.

Yes, Pies are lucky. Having such a big maniacal supporter base means that teams don't want to play home games against us in small venues.

No idea whether it's Geelong or the AFL who decides our games are at the G, but my view is that the home team should get to set the venue. And Geelong would be nuts to not want to play us at the G - our games get 40,000-50,000 more spectators than Kardinia Park holds - plus gives a team that has generally been good enough to be thinking flags a hitout in a finals like atmosphere at the Grand Final venue.

What's the issue with you guys going to Geelong? It's their home ground. But agree that it shouldn't be every year and should be evenly distributed.

Yes, Pies are lucky. Having such a big maniacal supporter base means that teams don't want to play home games against us in small venues.

No idea whether it's Geelong or the AFL who decides our games are at the G, but my view is that the home team should get to set the venue. And Geelong would be nuts to not want to play us at the G - our games get 40,000-50,000 more spectators than Kardinia Park holds - plus gives a team that has generally been good enough to be thinking flags a hitout in a finals like atmosphere at the Grand Final venue.
I have no issue about going to Geelong we only have an issue because others don't have to go to Geelong.

Not getting exposure to the MCG isn't unique to clubs from outside of Victoria. The Dogs don't play any more at the MCG then Brisbane do. In the last 13 years we have played one home and away game against Hawthorn at the MCG, their home ground. Plus, we also have to play "home" finals there, we play no finals at our home ground.

You are correct in my opinion the smaller Victorian teams get screwed worse than the interstate teams. Although the only good thing about playing in Ballarat is its a slightly shorter drive from Adelaide.

I have no issue about going to Geelong we only have an issue because others don't have to go to Geelong.

I understand it, but look at the other half of it - should teams have a say in where they play teams - No one is going to choose to play Collingwood at their smaller venue in Darwin, Canberra, Tassie - Cats a possible exception - not sure.

Attempts to "even" this stuff up by focussing on Collingwood and ensuring they play some away games in a regional small population is giving a penalty to who they play.

Personally, I couldn't care less where our away games are. And I hope we get the AFL to agree to us selling one of our Marvel "home" games to play on the Gold Coast.

I understand it, but look at the other half of it - should teams have a say in where they play teams - No one is going to choose to play Collingwood at their smaller venue in Darwin, Canberra, Tassie - Cats a possible exception - not sure.

Attempts to "even" this stuff up by focussing on Collingwood and ensuring they play some away games in a regional small population is giving a penalty to who they play.

Personally, I couldn't care less where our away games are. And I hope we get the AFL to agree to us selling one of our Marvel "home" games to play on the Gold Coast.
I'm only focussing on Collingwood because its you. It goes equally for the others Carlton, Essendon etc.

We have a really good record at Marvel because we go there a fair bit. We have a pretty ordinary record at MCG because we don't play there very often so for me the more games we get there the better it is for us. Hence why going to Ballarat, Tasmania once we played St Kilda in Cairns is not good for us even if we win that game.

Here's an idea, let's get rid of the "Big Four".
They can play each other week in week out and we can have our own comp.
Hell, we can even take the MCG.

Remove this Banner Ad

Mega Thread VICBias - Genuine Discussion Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back