Mega Thread VICBias - Genuine Discussion Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Also, the things they do mention are things that don't happen to the club they support.
I'll happily outline the respective advantages that I can see between WCE and Collingwood.

Collingwood advantages:
An MCG grand final giving us an advantage when we're good enough to make it.
Less travel and thus less games where we're at a disadvantage
AFL created marquee games giving us a financial advantage
Greater national media exposure giving us a financial advantage
* The final two also give us a recruiting advantage due to giving players more earning potential and the attraction of more big games

WCE advantages
Much more games where you have an advantage due to the team travelling to you.
Only two licences in WA - thus a much bigger potential market giving you a financial advantage
*this also has a recruiting advantage due to earning potential in that niche market and also a sponsorship advantage for the club
Better ratio of clubs to AFL players in the state - giving you a go home poaching advantage
Better NGA zone giving you a drafting advantage.

How does it all net out is the question? I don't think either of us have anything to whinge about. If anyone is going to whinge it should be North, Dogs and Saints - Northern clubs have their academies. SA has an extra home game. North, Dogs and Saints get a home state granny, but not at a ground they play on any more than the non-vic teams do and the cards are stacked against them to get to that granny.

Last edited:
I bet Collingwood supporters have no idea just how much the go home factor is discussed on the draft boards of non-Victorian clubs.
It should be with glee on the WA boards. As per normal, there are a couple of bloody good players already requesting trades back to WA - yet only 2 clubs for them to be spread amongst. Vic clubs would love that ratio.

Last edited:

You do realise the media has no involvement in deals? Check out what Collingwood gave up for Schultz last year, only one club 'fleeced'.

Wasnt one of the big VICBias pretend sooks that big Melbourne based clubs keep players when they are battling?

Richmond are supposedly a big Melbourne club - Graham, Bolton, Baker and Rioli want out.
Yeah but North Melbourne saved the AFL from being broke by playing home games at Docklands.

That's vicbias lol

I'll happily outline the respective advantages that I can see between WCE and Collingwood.

Collingwood advantages:
An MCG grand final giving us an advantage when we're good enough to make it.
Less travel and thus less games where we're at a disadvantage
AFL created marquee games giving us a financial advantage
Greater national media exposure giving us a financial advantage
* The final two also give us a recruiting advantage due to giving players more earning potential and the attraction of more big games

WCE advantages
Much more games where you have an advantage due to the team travelling to you.
Only two licences in WA - thus a much bigger potential market giving you a financial advantage
*this also has a recruiting advantage due to earning potential in that niche market and also a sponsorship advantage for the club
Better ratio of clubs to AFL players in the state - giving you a go home poaching advantage
Better NGA zone giving you a drafting advantage.

How does it all net out is the question? I don't think either of us have anything to whinge about. If anyone is going to whinge it should be North, Dogs and Saints - Northern clubs have their academies. SA has an extra home game. North, Dogs and Saints get a home state granny, but not at a ground they play on any more than the non-vic teams do and the cards are stacked against them to get to that granny.
But you reference individual clubs.

Now, multiply the Collingwood advantages by 4 to 10 (10 vic clubs) and multiply the WA advantages by 2 (2 WA clubs)….. and you get #v#VICBIAS
Because the best vic club each year also gets those advantages on top of being the best vic team, and that team can change year to year.

Yes, travel isnt Vic v non-vic.

Travel is in groups.

WA teams are road warriors, they clock up 70k km

GC is next at about 60k km
Then BL at about 50k km

All the rest are less than 30k km.

Yes, very good. Just one question: WHAT THE ACTUAL F*CK ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT??

8 non-Vic teams
10 Vic teams

Vic teams, for their games against other Melb clubs, have to drive across town, or at worst to Geelong, which some clubs like Collingwood have done twice in 20 years.

ALL non-Vic teams have to travel a MINIMUM of 700km to play a Vic team away (dist. from Adel. to Melb.). For the odd club that chooses to play games somewhere like in Tassie (Hawks/North?) - that's their choice - that's on them.

Your bullshit numbers above are made up.

Is this the real life? Is this just fantasy? Galileo!

Collingwood advantages:
An MCG grand final giving us an advantage
when we're good enough to make it.

Stop right there. Even if we don't wanna debate all the other advantages (which are many), that right there is a MASSIVE advantage.

If you tried to come up with some kind of BIGGER advantage to award some teams over others, could you possibly think of one??

Last edited:
But you reference individual clubs.

Now, multiply the Collingwood advantages by 4 to 10 (10 vic clubs) and multiply the WA advantages by 2 (2 WA clubs)….. and you get #v#VICBIAS
Because the best vic club each year also gets those advantages on top of being the best vic team, and that team can change year to year.
I referenced only 2 clubs because the poster didn't want Collingwood supporters referring to the disadvantages that some other Vic clubs have.

Those advantages were specific to Collingwood - Saints, Dogs, North don't have the marquee game advantage and the financial and recruitng advantage that that brings - they're behind the non-vic clubs in that regard - they don't get the equivalent of double showdown - they'd love to play Collingwood twice every year.

It should be with glee on the WA boards. As per normal, there are a couple of bloody good players already requesting trades back to WA - yet only 2 clubs for them to be spread amongst. Vic clubs would love that ratio.
Try holding onto go home players when 10 of the 18 teams can walk you to the draft for nothing.
Now try doing that when only 2 can. You have to stump up a premium.

We learned that all the way back with Nick Stevens. Wanted to go home, nominated Collingwood. We refused to play ball, so he walked in the draft to Carlton. We got nothing. So now we trade, because we have to. And we have to pay premiums to get players here. Eg We actually had to trade to get Jordon Sweet to Port Adelaide, a player who was never gonna play for the Bulldogs and was wasting away in the VFL (the real one).

Stop right there. Even if we don't wanna debate all the other advantages (which are many), that right there is a MASSIVE advantage.

If you tried to come up with some kind of advantage to award some teams over others, could you possibly think of one??

Yes. A recruiting advantage. Give a big enough recruiting advantage and an MCG grand final gets well and truly trumped - as you have to make the granny to get the advantage and then you also have to be close enough to your opposition to turn that advantage into a win.

What do you think would improve Ports chances of winning the premiership more this year - moving the granny to the Adelaide Oval, bearing in mind that you still have to make it as well as defeat your opposition there or special recruiting rules for a select few clubs adding Heeney, Blakey, Mills and Gulden to your team?

What's it going to be punk? Tell me it's anything other than the recruiting advantage. Go ahead. Make my day!

Last edited:
Try holding onto go home players when 10 of the 18 teams can walk you to the draft for nothing.
Now try doing that when only 2 can. You have to stump up a premium.

We learned that all the way back with Nick Stevens. Wanted to go home, nominated Collingwood. We refused to play ball, so he walked in the draft to Carlton. We got nothing. So now we trade, because we have to. And we have to pay premiums to get players here. Eg We actually had to trade to get Jordon Sweet to Port Adelaide, a player who was never gonna play for the Bulldogs and was wasting away in the VFL (the real one).
He was uncontracted - every club now trades the uncontracted players that wants out - and gets unders for them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

RUNVS why have you STILL not answered the question?

And you want to come in here and lecture yet again about good faith??

You are allowed to admit you just made it up. It might actually give you more credibility.

I got the number wrong, but my point is still valid. You are being pretty disingenuous given you know what my overall point was.

Collingwood fans like sr36 and doppleganger ever complained when your side won 3 wooden spoons in 1992, 93 and 94
Yes there was a complete AFL balls up with private ownership and it had a terrible follow on impact for the Swans. But that's 30 years ago. Since then they've been given a series of leg ups. They've barely missed finals in the last 20 years - have won flags and played in a heap of grannies. They're no longer the post Edelston basketcase - they're now a strong, powerful, privelged club who have AFL rules ensuring they stay that way. They're not going to plummet like Richmond or WCE after a good run at the top - the AFL give them recruiting concessions to make sure of it as they want to grow in the Sydney market.

The introduction of Freo was also a complete balls up that didn't give you a chance for ages - but that time has passed - you're now a strong financial club that will succeed or fail based on how well you are run, coached, recruit and play.

You're watching one of the most even sporting competitions in the world and complaining about bias. It's ridiculous.

Last edited:
I got the number wrong, but my point is still valid. You are being pretty disingenuous given you know what my overall point was.
Well no, your post was nitpicking (incorrectly) another poster about “days away”. Exaggerating stats and flat out lies have been very prevalent in this thread - and then you have the gall to call other people disingenuous 🤣🤣🤣

I’m still not sure why it took you so long to admit it.

I bet Collingwood supporters have no idea just how much the go home factor is discussed on the draft boards of non-Victorian clubs.
SA and WA fans would probably have specific threads talking about how good it is, and who the next players coming home will be, as per club they enjoy a greater number of go home players then all others.

No, it shows that the big clubs have the ability to help their players commercially, which is why Pettracca wanted to go to a big Victorian club who wasn't Richmond.
So it isnt VICBias.

It is commercial bias, like everyone keeps telling you.

Sydney is the golden child, laughable to think clubs like WBulldogs, North, StK, Melbourne, or Hawthorn are advantaged compared to Sydney.

So it isnt VICBias.

It is commercial bias, like everyone keeps telling you.

Sydney is the golden child, laughable to think clubs like WBulldogs, North, StK, Melbourne, or Hawthorn are advantaged compared to Sydney.

This thread needs closing mate. Clearly not going to be
much agreement

This thread needs closing mate. Clearly not going to be much agreement
It aint about agreement.

But when Swan and Port fans group themselves with the Eagles in terms of travel disadvantage, despite travelling less than teams like North, not really any genuine discussion to be had.

Almost 25 years of results show that the most disadvantaged teams are the teams that play the majority of game at Marvel - StK, WB, North, Carl and Ess.

Yes. A recruiting advantage. Give a big enough recruiting advantage and an MCG grand final gets well and truly trumped

Again, what the actual f*ck are you talking about? Does Port have a recruiting advantage over Victorian teams? lol.
We are repeatedly told that players would rather live in Melb than Adel.

I don't know what your BS argument is about recruiting, but regardless, that is going to be a SUBJECTIVE debate.

But there's nothing subjective about travel distances. Those are fact.

You shot 6 shots, punk, and they all missed.

It aint about agreement.

You're not wrong there (a first?)

It's about how delusional Pies supporters in this thread are. Close thread.

Los Angeles Clippers GIF

Again, what the actual f*ck are you talking about? Does Port have a recruiting advantage over Victorian teams? lol.
We are repeatedly told that players would rather live in Melb than Adel.

I don't know what your BS argument is about recruiting, but regardless, that is going to be a SUBJECTIVE debate.

You shot 6 shots, punk, and they all missed.
Good work with the bolded.

I'm not saying Port have a recruiting advantage. I'm saying that the Northern clubs do and now the WA clubs as they've made NGA open at all stages of the draft and they have much better NGA zones. This is a strange thread that seems to think that all Vics have the same advantages and thus assumedly all non-vic clubs must also have the same advantages.

Ports advantage is their extra home game. In such an even comp - it could be what got you the home qualifying final and thus an easier ticket to the Granny.

But yes, overall I do think Collingwood have an advantage over Port - due to the MCG granny which advantages a Vic club about once a decade on average, and Collingwood's size which makes us a more attractive destination due to all the big crowds we play in front of .

In terms of travel - by my reckoning you guys get an advantage in 11 games where teams travel to you and are diasdvantaged in 10 games where you travel. Seems like an overall advantage to me. Perhaps there is a cumulative impact of travelling more often - however we're talking about an extra four return flights from Adelaide to Melbourne spread out over a 25 week season ... not exactly a gruelling difference - and additonally the data backed theory in US sport is that the more you travel - the less you're disadvantaged by travel - or in other words perhaps your advantaged more in your home games against Vics than you are disadvantaged in your away games against Vics - **** knows, but we're clearly talking about very minor potential advantages in either direction - it's one extra return flight from Adelaide to Melbourne every 6 weeks.

Last edited:
Yep and in 2024 - Port travel 23k km.

less than

Richmond with 25k km
Geelong also with 25k km
North with 27k km
Melbourne with 28k km

And none come near WC and Freo who are both 70k km.

Yet, Port fans group themselves with WA teams and pretend they have a travel disadvantage, despite travelling less than almost half the VIC teams.

Remove this Banner Ad

Mega Thread VICBias - Genuine Discussion Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back