Mega Thread VICBias - Genuine Discussion Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

So I'll ask again, why is it so important for non vics to follow a league with vic bias that they incessantly complain about? Why not just follow your state leagues instead? No vic bias, win win!

Are any non vic fans gonna answer this question?

I love and follow the WAFl, the VFL expanded in 1987. As our own clubs were not invited then we had a choice to either follow our WAFL club or a new VFL club from WA.
As you Vics never had to confront this situation none of you know what you would have done.
I myself continued to follow West Perth in the WAFL and the Eagles in the AFL.
Stop giving me this crap about not following footy at he highest level when you created a comp that put clubs who were not invited to attend.
Its really pathetic

I love and follow the WAFl
Then if you hate the afl so much, then stop following the afl. Pretty simple I would've have thought.

You have a conundrum though, it's either West Perth or WC.

You have choice, vic fans don't.

So again, why is it so important you MUST follow this league that you detest? Give me your reasons.

Whilst all that is true, it doesn't take away that a state league model would work just as well AND would alleviate any vic bias.

Thoughts? Are you willing to agree that our premierships would be more meritorious IF we didn't have the GF home ground advantage against non vic teams? If yes, wouldn't it be better to have state competitions instead of an expanded vfl?
Those state leagues were infinitely more biased than the AFL.

Port played in 74 grand finals. And won the flag every 3 years on average with periods where noone got near them. Why do you think there are so many Port supporters on here and so many who want to spit on a coach with a 60% winning ratio who gets them to the finals most years. Sometimes quite high up. They're not used to being in an even comp. They're used to winning it. Port Adelaide fans and their love of even comps ... after years of boasting about being the most successful sporting team in the country or world or whatever the claim was ...

Every team has a chance in the AFL. It's a really even comp. Vic teams are probably slightly more likely to become dynasty teams, but also slightly more likely to become basket cases. Although I think the next dynasties will be from the north once academy benefits really start to kick in.

I like the AFL and the Non-Vic clubs have made it much better. Meanwhile some people like whinging.

Last edited:

Have you got evidence of this? Plenty of 'old' people in Perth who still have vivid memories of the 'old' vfl

Because your club is also in the sanfl, no vic bias, win win!

Have you got evidence of this?

And what about those clubs in the sanfl and wafl with over 100+ years of history? Meh, 'not in the national league', let's just dump them for a new club in an expanded vfl (not port admittedly) coz it's national'?

Ok, then, if that's what you all want then STFU about the inequities, you're only gonna get the equity if the smaller vic clubs fold to make that happen, which won't, like I said the smallest vic club in the comp has 50k members.

So it's not gonna happen, so just accept this imbalanced league and stop complaining about it or just go watch the sanfl.

Your choice, vic club supporters don't have that choice.

Blunt I know, life isn't fair, sorry not sorry.

There is no point engaging in discussion with you when your only point of reply is just ditch the team you’ve followed your whole life in one leave to pick up a team in a state league.

Regardless of it Port have a state league team or other teams do, majority of people have grown up and spent their lives following the team in the AFL. We do not care for the state league teams as they are a reserves.

There is stats available which also support the claim that younger people are the majority in attendance at AFL games. You can go find them if you wish as I can’t be bothered posting it when you will not accept it anyway as it doesn’t support your claims.

Either way, we’re not just going to ditch our teams we’ve followed our entire lives in a self promoted national league just because of poor management.

Then if you hate the afl so much, then stop following the afl. Pretty simple I would've have thought.

So again, why is it so important you MUST follow this league that you detest? Give me your reasons.
Dumbest question ever? Maybe the answer lies in the most obvious answer?
We love our club as much as you love yours.
Sheesh, give it a break will you.

Well,,, yes, Hawthorn did decide to travel to tassie, and yes, it gives them an advantage.
But FMD, you could swim to Tassie faster than you can drive to Geelong.
It is like a bus trip. Clever Hawthorn but hardly taxing.
It is pretty obvious that the only teams disadvantaged by travel are the two WA teams.

But the SA and Syd sooks like to pretend that their 1 hr flights are taxing, and then they create the sob story about sleeping in hotels, being away from family.

Hawthorn players travel just as much as Port players do.

Travel is clearly not vic v non-vic, it is WA (perhaps add in the Suns) v the rest.

Bit hard for any genuine "good faith" discussion when the majority of a posters reason for bias are all things that Hawthorn players experience at the same level.

It is pretty obvious that the only teams disadvantaged by travel are the two WA teams.

But the SA and Syd sooks like to pretend that their 1 hr flights are taxing, and then they create the sob story about sleeping in hotels, being away from family.

Hawthorn players travel just as much as Port players do.

Travel is clearly not vic v non-vic, it is WA (perhaps add in the Suns) v the rest.

Bit hard for any genuine "good faith" discussion when the majority of a posters reason for bias are all things that Hawthorn players experience at the same level.

Hear hear!

Imagine being the SA sooks complaining about all the flights when they spend more time at the airport than in the actual plane haha.

Not all Melb-based players live in the CBD. Traveling from Geelong to Melbourne on a bad day with traffic probably takes longer!

I don't detest the league, where you get that from? I don't think its run very well and an opinions board is where I come to say that.
Stop bloody reading it if you don't like peoples opinion.
Not rocket science mate.

Because it's the only national competition like we have. Like you, I then didn't want to join the VFL, I wanted a national competition. It would have been better to let the VFL sink into an even more suburban league and form a new national competition. But that didn't happen so now we all have to live here in the real world. We want a national competition with a semblance of equality.
So did you want all new made up ‘franchise’ type teams in Victoria? Australian football is only played here in Australia, even ‘small’ Melbourne teams are massive on the national level and very healthy in a world wide sense. And the ‘small’ Melbourne teams supporters stick with their teams through the lean eras. Something that the AFL never lets happen to the Sydney market teams. The AFL makes sure they never drop down the ladder because their flaky fans will drop away very fast. It would be madness to lose that history and guaranteed support and wealth.
And unfortunately for WA and SA the small teams in those states were just too small. Melbourne is massive, then and Geelong and regions too. Victoria is multiple times bigger than both SA and WA combined. There definitely is a debate for a 3rd team from each of these states?

So I'll ask again, why is it so important for non vics to follow a league with vic bias that they incessantly complain about? Why not just follow your state leagues instead? No vic bias, win win!

Are any non vic fans gonna answer this question?
Why do people in regional Victoria follow the VFL and not their country competition? Why do people follow the Australian cricket team when there's the Sheffield Shield? Because there's more money in a league that draws from a greater pool of competitors (State, national), which leads to a better quality competition. It's hardly rocket science.

Because it's the only national competition like we have. Like you, I then didn't want to join the VFL, I wanted a national competition. It would have been better to let the VFL sink into an even more suburban league and form a new national competition. But that didn't happen so now we all have to live here in the real world. We want a national competition with a semblance of equality.

Not a semblance of equality - yet it's possibly the most even sporting competition in the entire world.

It's the entitled clubs doing most of the whinging. It's the entitled clubs who have this premiership or nothing attitude. You only think that if that's what you've come to expect. Clubs and leagues wouldn't survive if everyone had that attitude.

WCE had a period of dominance and have performed well above par under any measure. But they thought their dominance would continue forever, so now they're complaining that they're back in the pack of a level playing field.

Port are so used to having a comp stacked massively in their favour where they always won that they think an even comp is unfair against them.

Sydney have gotten so many leg ups over the last 25 years that they just expect them and actually complain about disadvantage despite having recruiting rules tipped in their favour, thus ensuring they're always a strong team.

The Freo fans are the only Non-Vic fans in this thread actually coming from a position of disadvantage, as their introduction to the league was a complete balls up, which left them screwed for a couple of decades and the smell of failure sticks around for a fair while, probably costing them recruits and players.

Last edited:
Why do people in regional Victoria follow the VFL and not their country competition? Why do people follow the Australian cricket team when there's the Sheffield Shield? Because there's more money in a league that draws from a greater pool of competitors (State, national), which leads to a better quality competition. It's hardly rocket science.
What a load of drivel.
When WC joined this comp is was not a national comp, it was the VFL, most just abandoned their teams like they never followed them at all and joined the VFL, the very comp y'all hated.

So stop talking crap.

There is no point engaging in discussion with you when your only point of reply is just ditch the team you’ve followed your whole life in one leave to pick up a team in a state league.

Regardless of it Port have a state league team or other teams do, majority of people have grown up and spent their lives following the team in the AFL. We do not care for the state league teams as they are a reserves.

There is stats available which also support the claim that younger people are the majority in attendance at AFL games. You can go find them if you wish as I can’t be bothered posting it when you will not accept it anyway as it doesn’t support your claims.

Either way, we’re not just going to ditch our teams we’ve followed our entire lives in a self promoted national league just because of poor management.
You're viewing it from a young persons point of view, there are plenty of older people who grew up following the state leagues that now watch the afl and incessantly complain about vic bias.

You can't claim 'majority' unless you have a link.

Also,

Then stop complaining about it, or wallow in your misery, or just watch the sanfl, you have choice, I couldn't care less.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't detest the league, where you get that from? I don't think its run very well and an opinions board is where I come to say that.
Stop bloody reading it if you don't like peoples opinion.
Not rocket science mate.
That's the impression you give, like all the non vics on here.

So I'm not allowed to opine it's odd that people who whinge, complain, detest, whatever term you care to use MUST follow this league?

I find it odd, if you don't like this opinion, then don't read it.

Dumbest question ever? Maybe the answer lies in the most obvious answer?
We love our club as much as you love yours.
Sheesh, give it a break will you.

So I guess, you'll accept the league then and be happy with it.

Yeah, nah, you both won't be happy with it. Guaranteed!

What a load of drivel.
When WC joined this comp is was not a national comp, it was the VFL, most just abandoned their teams like they never followed them at all and joined the VFL, the very comp y'all hated.

So stop talking crap.
It's still the vfl. Just rebranded and expanded.

The median age in Australia is pushing 40 (38.3 in 2023 according to Google, and getting older) and the Eagles just played their 38th season. I myself am 40 so was two, nearly three when the Eagles played their first game. Earliest memory of watching a game is probably around 1990/1991 when I was 6, and it was the AFL by then.

It's all I've known.

I'm nominally a Subi supporter but have only been to a handful of WAFL games, most recently last year's Grand Final. I'll be going to this year's one too, but there's no great emotional attachment there. And I don't think anyone actually supports the Eagles WAFL side the way you'd normally support a footy club, outside of hoping the AFL-listed players do well. A lot of people expect it to fold or become part of a national reserves competition.

I mean, some might suggest you are far more worked up than I am.

View attachment 2100310
Oh here we go again, look how many posts he has made.

Why didn't you give us one of your childish gifs as well?

You are the one that comes in here and cries about everything, I am here so often because there are many of you to laugh at, I love it in here, it's the best comedy show around.

So keep it up ole mate, it's so f%^%#%$ funny watch you cry.

Remove this Banner Ad

Mega Thread VICBias - Genuine Discussion Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back