Mega Thread VICBias - Genuine Discussion Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

You want all the Victorian based Channel 7 and AFL executives deciding which is the most interesting games each week?
Network executives don't care about interesting games, thought that much was obvious. If it were up to them Collingwood and the other Big 4 clubs would get Friday and Saturday night games exclusively for the entire season. All TV suits care about is advertising dollars, interesting doesn't figure into the equation when deciding which clubs they want on prime time tv.

You want the AFL to stop selling TV rights and become a media company that ensures equal coverage towards smaller markets? And also somehow stops footy shows from other outlets paying more attention to the bigger market.

Sounds like a great idea ...
I want the AFL to treat, and expects its media rights holders to treat, each of its constituent teams and markets with equivalent levels of respect, acknowledging their strengths and weaknesses according to their performance, and because of a predetermined view of “Victoria good, other states bad”.

It’s not that hard. I mean, for an unbiased organisation it’s not that hard. AFL and Victorians finding it hard to let go of monopolising the media like the VFL days.

Want to go national, then go national. Want to be insular, stay insular.
This “give me your money but you are not equal” bull is exactly why threads like this exist.

Don't feel bad about it F-man, I'm sure you can still make a meaningful contribution to society. You're wrong about people from Geelong though, I don't know where you could possibly have got that from. Sky News or some other grifter source?
I got my information from Sky News and Rupert Murdoch owned newspapers lol

You want the AFL to stop selling TV rights and become a media company that ensures equal coverage towards smaller markets? And also somehow stops footy shows from other outlets paying more attention to the bigger market.

Sounds like a great idea ...
The fact is we’ve got a Sydney side in a PF, 3 in a SF. The attention has all been on Hawthorn. Yeah, great story, but let’s actually discuss Sydney getting an amazing win yesterday and setting themselves up for a GF slot.

There’s a lot more to talk about than the HFC.

I want the AFL to treat, and expects its media rights holders to treat, each of its constituent teams and markets with equivalent levels of respect, acknowledging their strengths and weaknesses according to their performance, and because of a predetermined view of “Victoria good, other states bad”.

It’s not that hard. I mean, for an unbiased organisation it’s not that hard. AFL and Victorians finding it hard to let go of monopolising the media like the VFL days.

Want to go national, then go national. Want to be insular, stay insular.
This “give me your money but you are not equal” bull is exactly why threads like this exist.

The AFL did actually do deals to ensure prime time coverage in the Northern states when it didn't rate and was unprofitable. To expect them to go beyond that and dictate content is absurd. Particularly when your criticisms go beyond the broadcasting of games to include footy shows which aren't part of broadcasting agreements.

I live in SA. Do you also expect them to go into that media market and somehow ensure that coverage isn't SA club dominant? Perhaps they could buy out the advertiser, SEn SA and all the other radio shows to get equal coverage here?

The fact is we’ve got a Sydney side in a PF, 3 in a SF. The attention has all been on Hawthorn. Yeah, great story, but let’s actually discuss Sydney getting an amazing win yesterday and setting themselves up for a GF slot.

There’s a lot more to talk about than the HFC.
I don't disagree with you in general. But that's media content. It's not about Vic bias in the running of the comp. It's about the media favouring the bigger market.

However, I don't think you're actually right in terms of the Hawks and Sydney. The media have been a bit blind. Hawks have been the form team of the comp for a couple of months without much exposure - meanwhile Sydney's stars have had enormous exposure - second only to Nick and Harley, I'd say.

And that's why non vics should stop watching / supporting.

It is like saying "if you don't approve of everything the Australian government is doing then leave Australia".

I think Australia is a flawed country but there is no other country I want to live in. That being said I think Australia can be better.

The AFL is flawed, but that does not mean I do not want it to improve and get better.

but in true Victorian form the supporters here would tune out because it’s not a Victorian team there.
Lol, vic fans care about their club NOT their state. If they're not watching it's not coz 'thEERS KnO ViC TaEMS'
You’d have to sack BT for the day as well as his performance would be so uninterested and pathetic it would ruin the game for viewers.
Who? that WA guy?

It is like saying "if you don't approve of everything the Australian government is doing then leave Australia".

I think Australia is a flawed country but there is no other country I want to live in. That being said I think Australia can be better.

The AFL is flawed, but that does not mean I do not want it to improve and get better.
OTOH, if every non vic stopped watching the AFL, then the AFL would have to do something about it.

I'm not saying it's an 'either or', I'm saying stop complaining and start doing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The AFL would very very much care if non-Victorian fans on mass stopped watching.
Well stop and see what happens, you won't stop though, you will be here at least once per week crying about some little thing you don't like, but you'll keep watching, and 7 and the AFL will keep doing what they do best, troll you.

The AFL did actually do deals to ensure prime time coverage in the Northern states when it didn't rate and was unprofitable. To expect them to go beyond that and dictate content is absurd. Particularly when your criticisms go beyond the broadcasting of games to include footy shows which aren't part of broadcasting agreements.

I live in SA. Do you also expect them to go into that media market and somehow ensure that coverage isn't SA club dominant? Perhaps they could buy out the advertiser, SEn SA and all the other radio shows to get equal coverage here?
We’re talking about national coverage, not local. You know that, but you peddle your comments out as a strawman argument.
SEN has regional coverage, so don’t care about that. Newspapers are regional, don’t care about that. 5AA and K Rock are regional broadcasters, don’t care about that.

Ch 7 and Foxtel however are national broadcasters. Wanting to listen to a game and not hear overt barracking for the Victorian side and a sense of disappointment for the non Vic team, is that too much to ask? Wafching a review show and not just listening to all the great strengths of the Vic teams and the shortcomings of the non Vic teams, is that too much to ask?

For just one example I actually heard Lloyd say today how wonderful Hawthorn were and how inconsistent Brisbane are. And how the Hawks only lost 3 games since round 9, how magnificent.
Who cares that Brisbane had the same record as the Hawks since that same Round 9. And who cares that since 0-5 Hawthorn have lost to 4 of the 5 teams left in the premiership race, but not important that. If Lloyd can bring himself to barrack for the Hawks, then you know it’s crap.

The AFL have taken the top level of the national game of football and turning it into a Victorian centric benefit fund and self ego inflating exercise. What a disappointment.

We’re talking about national coverage, not local. You know that, but you peddle your comments out as a strawman argument.
SEN has regional coverage, so don’t care about that. Newspapers are regional, don’t care about that. 5AA and K Rock are regional broadcasters, don’t care about that.

Ch 7 and Foxtel however are national broadcasters. Wanting to listen to a game and not hear overt barracking for the Victorian side and a sense of disappointment for the non Vic team, is that too much to ask? Wafching a review show and not just listening to all the great strengths of the Vic teams and the shortcomings of the non Vic teams, is that too much to ask?

For just one example I actually heard Lloyd say today how wonderful Hawthorn were and how inconsistent Brisbane are. And how the Hawks only lost 3 games since round 9, how magnificent.
Who cares that Brisbane had the same record as the Hawks since that same Round 9. And who cares that since 0-5 Hawthorn have lost to 4 of the 5 teams left in the premiership race, but not important that. If Lloyd can bring himself to barrack for the Hawks, then you know it’s crap.

The AFL have taken the top level of the national game of football and turning it into a Victorian centric benefit fund and self ego inflating exercise. What a disappointment.

They like Sydney though. Is that not obvious?

Of the other 5 teams, have beaten 2 and been embarrassed by Sydney and geelong let’s see about port if they have professional time keeping. Season is so close a 20 second error can make a difference

The national footy media lives here, naturally.

Just like the EPL in London. Annoying but nothing will change that
And yet you wouldn’t know that from the coverage, if anything you would think it sits somewhere between the 30 miles between Liverpool and Manchester.

OTOH, if every non vic stopped watching the AFL, then the AFL would have to do something about it.

I'm not saying it's an 'either or', I'm saying stop complaining and start doing.
See, that’s the point, you think the game (not talking about the comp) is yours to own and we should leave if we don’t like it.
Why should we leave, the national game is not yours to own? If you want to peddle the comp as a National comp, then why not behave like one? And treat the watching public with similar due respect?

The national coverage isn't by the AFL - like the state based coverage, it's done by commercial media outlets with commercial considerations. The same principal holds in both markets though - if you're a minority in that market then you get less coverage.

Like I said:

"The AFL did actually do deals to ensure prime time coverage in the Northern states when it didn't rate and was unprofitable. To expect them to go beyond that and dictate content is absurd. Particularly when your criticisms go beyond the broadcasting of games to include footy shows which aren't part of broadcasting agreements."

Are you going to address it - or just dismiss it with a strawman claiming "strawman."

Last edited:
I don't disagree with you in general. But that's media content. It's not about Vic bias in the running of the comp. It's about the media favouring the bigger market.

However, I don't think you're actually right in terms of the Hawks and Sydney. The media have been a bit blind. Hawks have been the form team of the comp for a couple of months without much exposure - meanwhile Sydney's stars have had enormous exposure - second only to Nick and Harley, I'd say.
So in the lead up to the finals, all I heard from Ch 7 was the key match up between the clear form teams of the comp in Bulldogs and Hawthorn.

Were they though? No others with similar or better records? I wonder why they picked those two.

The national coverage isn't by the AFL - like the state based coverage it's done by commercial media outlets with commercial considerations.

Like I said:

"The AFL did actually do deals to ensure prime time coverage in the Northern states when it didn't rate and was unprofitable. To expect them to go beyond that and dictate content is absurd. Particularly when your criticisms go beyond the broadcasting of games to include footy shows which aren't part of broadcasting agreements."

Are you going to address it - or just dismiss it with a strawman claiming "strawman."
Because your response was not relevant to my argument. That the national AFL media is unashamedly biased towards Melbourne clubs, and the AFL does exactly zero to address it.
They could ask that of their media orgs, just like they have non disparagement clauses written in.

One day, I hope your club is playing out a close finals game, and your teams sets up a chance to go in front, and you hear the commentators yell out “OH NO!”. Or you go in front and it’s announced with all the excitement of a funeral eulogy. Or how the commentary only notices the free kick count when the non Vic opposition is suffering?

Believe me It’s infuriating. It doesn’t matter an iota to the teams on the field but it’s just nerve.scratching to us.

See, that’s the point, you think the game (not talking about the comp) is yours to own and we should leave if we don’t like it.
Why should we leave, the national game is not yours to own? If you want to peddle the comp as a National comp, then why not behave like one? And treat the watching public with similar due respect?
He is not saying that, or at least I don't think that is what he means.

What I am reading is, if you keep doing what you are doing, 7 and the AFL will also, they have what they want, the Vic audience and most of the non-Vics watch anyway, they won't change if you don't.

So in the lead up to the finals, all I heard from Ch 7 was the key match up between the clear form teams of the comp in Bulldogs and Hawthorn.

Were they though? No others with similar or better records? I wonder why they picked those two.

I think Hawks are definitely the form team of the comp. Since round 7, they've lost 3 games. Two of those were games where they outplayed their opponent and blew 5 goal leads by stuffing up the end game scenario. Their only loss where thy were outplayed was straight after their bye when they looked like they were still on a bye. And they haven't just been beating teams, they've been smacking them.

Rather than being over-represented with media coverage, the media had seemed to miss how well they've been going until the last week or two.

Last edited:
They like Sydney though. Is that not obvious?

Of the other 5 teams, have beaten 2 and been embarrassed by Sydney and geelong let’s see about port if they have professional time keeping. Season is so close a 20 second error can make a difference
See, you’ve bought into that because the media told you incessantly because it was against a Vic club. Poor Hawthorn apparently lost because of the AFL timekeepers, I say apparently because it’s not true.

I would have thought that if you’re going to go to the effort of highlighting a teams form, knowing they’d lost to 4 teams still in the race was kinda relevant. But nah, why go to that effort. Not important, doesn’t suit the narrative.

Remove this Banner Ad

Mega Thread VICBias - Genuine Discussion Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back