Mega Thread VICBias - Genuine Discussion Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

But the thing is that it's the same forces at play - targetting your biggest market. And like the state based broadcasters, the Nationals are independent of the AFL and thus say what they choose.

5AA aren't targetting me as a Collingwood supporter living in Adelaide. Fox Footy aren't targetting Port supporters. Stories about Port aren't as interesting to their biggest market - Vics - as stories about Collingwood and Carlton. Positives for Collingwood and Carlton, but also negatives, as negative stories get amplified or even created from nothing and can be destabilising - just as the domestic ones can be for Adelaide clubs. Eg. The ongoing sack Kenny sack Kochie soap opera that the domestic media love milking.
But (back to where we started) you’re not watching a game being forced SA/WA/Qld/NSW/Tas commentary down your throat every Fri/Sat/Sun are you? The disappointment when we win, the muted response when we do something great, the lack of concern about a skewed free kick count, the lack of knowledge of our players.
There’s no State based TV broadcasting, only National. And they are appalling.

Here’s a challenge for you. Next year, watch a Collingwood v West Coast or Adelaide game, but tune in the 6PR or 5AA commentary whilst you watch. And time how quickly you get pissed off.
That’s us, every second week when we play a Vic side.

But (back to where we started) you’re not watching a game being forced SA/WA/Qld/NSW/Tas commentary down your throat every Fri/Sat/Sun are you? The disappointment when we win, the muted response when we do something great, the lack of concern about a skewed free kick count, the lack of knowledge of our players.

Here’s a challenge for you. Next year, watch a Collingwood v West Coast or Adelaide game, but tune in the 6PR or 5AA commentary whilst you watch. And time how quickly you get pissed off.

Two things:

a) You can switch to 5AA, or ABC footy broadcast, or ...
b) It's just a commercial reality - like having less access to supermarkets if you choose to live in the bush - it's not an AFL based Vicbias issue. And frankly I think you're exaggerating. It's quite often pretty clear that a commentary crew are barracking against a Vic clubs and for a Non-Vic club - it shouldn't surprise you that former Hawk players aren't always that fond of Collingwood or Carlton. The issue is more in the footy talk shows where the focus is Vic.

They do if they want to keep TV rights at the large value it is. It's not the AFL dictating this it's channel 7.
I agree though, it should be that way but it's easy to understand why.
I can't actually remember the last time my mob was on FTA to be honest
Had one vs Melbourne on a Saturday night this year? 15-ish?

North get shafted. It's a disgrace.

I watch most games v wa/sa sides with that commentary streaming. It's hilarious.

Two things:

a) You can switch to 5AA, or ABC footy broadcast, or ...
b) It's just a commercial reality - like having less access to supermarkets if you choose to live in the bush - it's not an AFL based Vicbias issue. And frankly I think you're exaggerating. It's quite often pretty clear that a commentary crew are barracking against a Vic clubs and for a Non-Vic club - it shouldn't surprise you that former Hawk players aren't always that fond of Collingwood or Carlton. The issue is more in the footy talk shows where the focus is Vic.

How is bias a commercial reality? There is no reason BT needs to be a channel 7 commentator. The game is not going to fail if he is not a commentator at channel 7 so why not hire someone who can be neutral during games?

How is bias a commercial reality? There is no reason BT needs to be a channel 7 commentator. The game is not going to fail if he is not a commentator at channel 7 so why not hire someone who can be neutral during games?

Because media companies analyse the market and try to maximise profits by putting out content aimed at getting as much engagement as possible for advertising revenue. And the reality is that stories about some clubs and their players generate greater interest than about some other clubs.

However, if you actually pay attention. BT barracks for whoever is th underdog or behind. His big thing has always been to try to generate excitement regardless of how lop-sided the game is - he barracks for the comeback. Sydney fans wouldn't realise as recruiting rules are tilted to you, so you are usually ahead, which means you just feel like he automatically barracks against Sydney.

Because media companies analyse the market and try to maximise profits by putting out content aimed at getting as much engagement as possible for advertising revenue. And the reality is that stories about some clubs and their players generate greater interest than about some other clubs.

However, if you actually pay attention. BT barracks for whoever is th underdog or behind. His big thing has always been to try to generate excitement regardless of how lop-sided the game is - he barracks for the comeback. Sydney fans wouldn't realise as recruiting rules are tilted to you, so you are usually ahead, which means you just feel like he automatically barracks against Sydney.
What a pity you’ll never hear BT destroy a close game for you with a funereal tone…. Or yell “Oh No”.

How are we going to blame a Geelong Hawthorn GF on Vicbias?

What is going to be the angle?

Surely it can't happen, will the AFL let it happen?

Port have already done their part.
Biggest most important day of the afl year
Hawks vs GWS granny

Played on hawks home ground
In front of probably 50,000+ hawks fans
Hawks just played there in front of 100,000
Hawks don’t travel on the day

GWS finished 4th
Hawks 7th

No advantage to hawks???????? Cmon!!!!

Biggest most important day of the afl year
Hawks vs GWS granny

Played on hawks home ground
In front of probably 50,000+ hawks fans
Hawks just played there in front of 100,000
Hawks don’t travel on the day

GWS finished 4th
Hawks 7th

No advantage to hawks???????? Cmon!!!!
I think you may have trouble reading.

I said a Geelong, Hawthorn GF.

Work that one out, both have to play interstate to make it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What a pity you’ll never hear BT destroy a close game for you with a funereal tone…. Or yell “Oh No”.
You need to get yourself away from the home state bubble games with their ridiculously one sided crowds. Get yourself to the G for a couple of big Vic teams against each other. Or at least go to a Showdown. Yeah, I'll never know what it's like to hear someone barracking for the opposition whilst watching the Pies.

A close game being ruined because someone was barracking for the opposition? Wtf?

You're reminding me of my favourite Adelaide footy story. Kym Koster had recently transferred from the Dogs to the Crows. Was best on ground in a good win. Gets back to his car and some Crows fans had celebrated by smashing the shit out of his car because it had Vic plates.

Last edited:
You need to get yourself away from the home state bubble games with their ridiculously one sided crowds. Get yourself to the G for a couple of big Vic teams against each other. Or at least go to a Showdown. Yeah, I'll never know what it's like to hear someone barracking for the opposition whilst watching the Pies.

A close game being ruined because someone was barracking for the opposition? Wtf?

You're reminding me of my favourite Adelaide footy story. Kym Koster had recently transferred from the Dogs to the Crows. Was best on ground in a good win. Gets back to his car and some Crows fans had celebrated by smashing the shit out of his car because it had Vic plates.

Tony Hall?

Again, trying to twist what people are trying to say.

It’s not about the crowd (yes we do have crowds here and surprise surprise, I’ve been to interstate games too), it’s not about the ground announcer, it’s not about what song they play, or who the local radio supports . It’s not even about BT, if he was sitting next to me in the crowd. It’s about watching a game broadcast nationally, and listening to the commentator barracking for one set of clubs over the other. You can try every skewed argument to try and justify it, but there is no justifying it.

(Yeah great story, and that never happened to me working in Melbourne with SA plates…..)

Again, trying to twist what people are trying to say.

It’s not about the crowd (yes we do have crowds here and surprise surprise, I’ve been to interstate games too), it’s not about the ground announcer, it’s not about what song they play, or who the local radio supports . It’s not even about BT, if he was sitting next to me in the crowd. It’s about watching a game broadcast nationally, and listening to the commentator barracking for one set of clubs over the other. You can try every skewed argument to try and justify it, but there is no justifying it.

(Yeah great story, and that never happened to me working in Melbourne with SA plates…..)
A lot of Collingwood supporters carry on about the same thing when it's Dunstall and Hodge commentating. They like you need to get over it. Let's protect the purity of footy ocmmentary? As it ruins close games ...

GWS will sort Geelong out.
I dont know about that. Swans maybe.

Again... I was gutted freo lost to Port and dockers were denied a finals spot.

But for Port to do that weak effort vs the cats in the qualifying final, that is unforgivable. I really wanted 2 non vic sides in the grand final. Could of been Port vs one of the NSW sides.

This 2024 season has the same stink of 2015. In 2024, Cats were the only Vic side in the top 4. They will get in the grand final now. I cant see cats squander a flag chance now.

Hawks in 2015 were the only Victorian side in the top 4 with Freo, Swans and eagles. Hawks got into the grand final and won the flag in 2015.

Absolutely ****ing nothing happens in Adelaide. The stories have to be made up.
Living in Adelaide is a punishment. lol

Snowtown was a good effort
Yes, Putting dead Bodies in barrels is a South Aussie past time. lol

You can dump refugees from 3rd world countries into Adelaide. Even then those 3rd world refugees have standards lol

Remove this Banner Ad

Mega Thread VICBias - Genuine Discussion Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back