Mega Thread VICBias - Genuine Discussion Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

I thought the umpiring was fine in general, but that one to Chol early on really sucked and leaves those barracking for Port feeling pissed off about umpiring for most of the game.

I’m the opposite, I don’t think it should have been a free kick but the Chol one was the closest to being able to make an argument for since his head did make some contact with the ground.

The Moore free for a sling was just a complete guess by the umpire who was on the other side and couldn’t see if his head would have made contact. Which it didn’t anyway but just guessed.

The holding on Dear by Aliir before this was there but these 2 just stalled all momentum and had it back on an even playing field.

Then add the ball that was out of bounds but then ended up in a goal was a dreadful call with the boundary umpire literally 1m next to the ball.

The Sicily goal which was clearly touched by Boak just makes a further mockery of the whole review system.

There was another one (believe Watson) got a goal after HTB on Burgman (no issue with that actual call) however just seconds earlier in the play which resulted in the ball going forward should have been a clear as day HTB rewarded to Boak. Ball carrier, I forget who, took on 3 players and was caught clean and just dropped the ball. Play on. Results in the Watson goal.

That’s already 4 goals ignoring the Chol 50/50 call which shouldn’t have happened. The umpiring was outright disgraceful last night. No real way to sugar coat it. Straight up directly resulted in 4 or 5 goals from nothing.

Meanwhile at the other end, our forwards are being tackled to the ground without even being in possession of the ball and its play on. Or being pushed clean out of the marking contest, play on. Marshall in the first being bumped head high when the play has stopped and is outside the boundary line, play on.

The footy gods had to step in and save a disgraceful outcome by ensuring that last kick hit the post.

I’m the opposite, I don’t think it should have been a free kick but the Chol one was the closest to being able to make an argument for since his head did make some contact with the ground.

The Moore free for a sling was just a complete guess by the umpire who was on the other side and couldn’t see if his head would have made contact. Which it didn’t anyway but just guessed.

The holding on Dear by Aliir before this was there but these 2 just stalled all momentum and had it back on an even playing field.

Then add the ball that was out of bounds but then ended up in a goal was a dreadful call with the boundary umpire literally 1m next to the ball.

The Sicily goal which was clearly touched by Boak just makes a further mockery of the whole review system.

There was another one (believe Watson) got a goal after HTB on Burgman (no issue with that actual call) however just seconds earlier in the play which resulted in the ball going forward should have been a clear as day HTB rewarded to Boak. Ball carrier, I forget who, took on 3 players and was caught clean and just dropped the ball. Play on. Results in the Watson goal.

That’s already 4 goals ignoring the Chol 50/50 call which shouldn’t have happened. The umpiring was outright disgraceful last night. No real way to sugar coat it. Straight up directly resulted in 4 or 5 goals from nothing.

Meanwhile at the other end, our forwards are being tackled to the ground without even being in possession of the ball and its play on. Or being pushed clean out of the marking contest, play on. Marshall in the first being bumped head high when the play has stopped and is outside the boundary line, play on.

The footy gods had to step in and save a disgraceful outcome by ensuring that last kick hit the post.
Yeah sorry, with the Chol one, I think it was an understandable umpire decision, but I think he also milked it by leaning his head at the ground.

But at the same time it just felt so wrong, which gets you complaining about calls for the rest of the game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just thinking how farcical it will be in the future if there is a West Coast vs Fremantle Grand Final played at the MCG.
Or a Swans-GWS Grand Final. A bit more likely to be honest. All this fluff about how important it is the play
the GF at the MCG forever when 2/3 of the people in the ground on the day don't actually support either team.
At least most of the people at the Semi tonight and the SCG Prelim next week will actually care who wins.

I am really concerned that AFL umpires consume too much AFL media and get caught up in narratives that are Vic centric. The media is Vic centric because that is where the money is, and partly due to xenophobia (for lack of a better word) towards “interstate” clubs. No better example than the Swans-GWS game having the worst TV time slot when they had the best teams and strongest rivalry of all the games (and the game ended up being far better than all the games played). Or Channel 7 almost exclusively focusing on Hawthorn after the match when Port won (if a Vic team coach had the pressure Hinkley had, they would have had montage after montage of how they fought for their season and their career).

Returning the umpires, it’s the classic nature doco scenario where if it is about lions, you want them to catch the prey. And if it is about gazelles, you want them to get away. There have been sport studies too where they get fans to re-watch tapes of games in the cold light of day, and still a chasm exists between each set of fans on what the free kick / penalty count should have been.

As we know, the umpires don’t bias every Vic team. In fact, once the Vic teams dominate for a while the umpires sometimes start to bias against them (although the more powerful ones with stronger media connections are often less impacted by this).

It’s the “fairytale” teams that receive the umpire bias, and they are almost exclusively Melbourne based due to media bias. And it becomes a self fulfilling cycle as the media overlooks, downplays and even encourages the bias - so the fairytale team keeps getting a cruisy ride and can play with impunity while their opponents have to doubt everything they do. We have seen it happen too many times and it makes a mockery out of the integrity of the competition.

I am really concerned that AFL umpires consume too much AFL media and get caught up in narratives that are Vic centric. The media is Vic centric because that is where the money is, and partly due to xenophobia (for lack of a better word) towards “interstate” clubs. No better example than the Swans-GWS game having the worst TV time slot when they had the best teams and strongest rivalry of all the games (and the game ended up being far better than all the games played). Or Channel 7 almost exclusively focusing on Hawthorn after the match when Port won (if a Vic team coach had the pressure Hinkley had, they would have had montage after montage of how they fought for their season and their career).

Returning the umpires, it’s the classic nature doco scenario where if it is about lions, you want them to catch the prey. And if it is about gazelles, you want them to get away. There have been sport studies too where they get fans to re-watch tapes of games in the cold light of day, and still a chasm exists between each set of fans on what the free kick / penalty count should have been.

As we know, the umpires don’t bias every Vic team. In fact, once the Vic teams dominate for a while the umpires sometimes start to bias against them (although the more powerful ones with stronger media connections are often less impacted by this).

It’s the “fairytale” teams that receive the umpire bias, and they are almost exclusively Melbourne based due to media bias. And it becomes a self fulfilling cycle as the media overlooks, downplays and even encourages the bias - so the fairytale team keeps getting a cruisy ride and can play with impunity while their opponents have to doubt everything they do. We have seen it happen too many times and it makes a mockery out of the integrity of the competition.

Definitely this is an issue. It was astonishing to read recently that only four umpires int the pool are based outside Victoria. They were actually trumping this as a good thing because it helps them train together!
So 90% of all eligible AFL umpires are immersed in Victorian media and the fairytale stories you describe. Why are we then surprised in critical moments to see things like GWS getting absolutely reamed in the final few minutes of last year's prelim after a season of media fapping over Collingwood?

Definitely this is an issue. It was astonishing to read recently that only four umpires int the pool are based outside Victoria. They were actually trumping this as a good thing because it helps them train together!
So 90% of all eligible AFL umpires are immersed in Victorian media and the fairytale stories you describe. Why are we then surprised in critical moments to see things like GWS getting absolutely reamed in the final few minutes of last year's prelim after a season of media fapping over Collingwood?
If media influence is the concern, you sure as hell wouldn't want them based in SA or WA - the local media is nuts. BAse them in Qld, but then you'd be looking at a much shitter pooler of umpires.

If media influence is the concern, you sure as hell wouldn't want them based in SA or WA - the local media is nuts. BAse them in Qld, but then you'd be looking at a much shitter pooler of umpires.
How about basing them all over the country, like approximately a quarter each in Vic, SA and WA and the rest? And then draw one umpire from each area per game? Doesn't sound too hard.

How about basing them all over the country, like approximately a quarter each in Vic, SA and WA and the rest? And then draw one umpire from each area per game? Doesn't sound too hard.
Just going with your theory of the local media influence. Imagine the SA media umpiring a Port vs Freo game. Same with the WA media.

Personally I don't give a shit where they're based. I don't think it matters.

Just going with your theory of the local media influence. Imagine the SA media umpiring a Port vs Freo game. Same with the WA media.

Personally I don't give a shit where they're based. I don't think it matters.
I don't understand your first point. If you had only one umpire from SA umpiring a Port Freo game, that seems fine. The other three are from elsewhere including one from WA.
On the second, perhaps you don't think it matters because 90% of them are based in Victoria

Remove this Banner Ad

Mega Thread VICBias - Genuine Discussion Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back