Mega Thread VICBias - Genuine Discussion Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

A proper neutral ground is preferable to one hosted at a team's home ground that didn't earn the right.

All I heard in the media in 2018 was how the MCG was a neutral ground despite Collingwood being one of the team's playing 🤦‍♂️
I couldn't give a rats what you heard, we are talking about teams earning the right to play the GF on their home ground.

And yes Collingwood don't either, but it's not what the convo started over.

A proper neutral ground is preferable to one hosted at a team's home ground that didn't earn the right.

All I heard in the media in 2018 was how the MCG was a neutral ground despite Collingwood being one of the team's playing 🤦‍♂️
Yeah it is. But is their one that's suitable?

Come on man… Dogs at the G is hardly them playing away. They’re still playing in Melbourne in front of a parochial Dogs crowd.
You see what I mean, you lump all Vic teams together, I suppose you will say traveling from Adelaide to Melbourne is a hindrance?

Tell me, if you think Traveling is a hindrance, why do Port lose so many home finals to traveling teams?

Is it because they get H&A benefits that gifts them a higher ladder position than what they deserve, or is it that traveling is not the hindrance some think it is?

Last night I watched a team play interstate with, it seemed more crowd than GWS did, by your reasoning that means Brissy was not playing away.

If there isn't, the next best is one where the higher ranked team hosts.
My view is that rankings are the product of an uneven fixture. teams are given an advantage over another team in finals - often simply because they were given an advantage in terms of opponents in the Home and Away. "Earnt" is often very debatable.

The fairest system in terms of teams would be all neutral finals.

But it'd be incredibly unfair on fans - the system we have currently is the fairest for fans, but yes it's skewed towards Vic fans - or more precisely AFL and MCC members.

My view is that rankings are the product of an uneven fixture. teams are given an advantage over another team in finals - often simply because they were given an advantage in terms of opponents in the Home and Away. "Earnt" is often very debatable.

The fairest system in terms of teams would be all neutral finals.

But it'd be incredibly unfair on fans - the system we have currently is the fairest for fans, but yes it's skewed towards Vic fans - or more precisely AFL and MCC members.

You won't hear any arguments from me over the preference for a proper home and away fixture where everyone plays each other twice, home and away.

You see what I mean, you lump all Vic teams together, I suppose you will say traveling from Adelaide to Melbourne is a hindrance?

Tell me, if you think Traveling is a hindrance, why do Port lose so many home finals to traveling teams?

Is it because they get H&A benefits that gifts them a higher ladder position than what they deserve, or is it that traveling is not the hindrance some think it is?

Last night I watched a team play interstate with, it seemed more crowd than GWS did, by your reasoning that means Brissy was not playing away.
Port lose home finals because we’ve had a fraud of a coach and because of that have generally sh*t ourselves in the big stage.

As for your question about the GWS game (and it also applies to the Friday night game), I’m not saying it IS a home game for Brisbane/hawks, but hell yeah a high proportion of oppo fans will go some way to diminish the host’s home ground advantage.

Port lose home finals because we’ve had a fraud of a coach and because of that have generally sh*t ourselves in the big stage.

As for your question about the GWS game (and it also applies to the Friday night game), I’m not saying it IS a home game for Brisbane/hawks, but hell yeah a high proportion of oppo fans will go some way to diminish the host’s home ground advantage.
Port have been losing home finals since they entered the league, it's not just Hinkley that loses them, it's Port.

So the supporter argument? does this mean you think the Grand Final doesn't hold the advantage a lot of people think, normally you will see a lot of fans from both clubs there, by your reasoning that means it's neutral.

Port have been losing home finals since they entered the league, it's not just Hinkley that loses them, it's Port.

So the supporter argument? does this mean you think the Grand Final doesn't hold the advantage a lot of people think, normally you will see a lot of fans from both clubs there, by your reasoning that means it's neutral.
It is a feature of Ken’s tenure as coach that we’re up and about in the H&A season and always moments from disaster. We had our share of disasters under choco but we got a flag and a GF appearance under him. Their records are not similar.

With the GF, of course it’s an advantage for vic teams. All their fans have to do is jump on a train. Others have to organise travel and accomodation.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It is a feature of Ken’s tenure as coach that we’re up and about in the H&A season and always moments from disaster. We had our share of disasters under choco but we got a flag and a GF appearance under him. Their records are not similar.

With the GF, of course it’s an advantage for vic teams. All their fans have to do is jump on a train. Others have to organise travel and accomodation.
That's fans not clubs, you are all over the shop now, Brissy fans still had to travel and find accommodation, make up your mind.

If it's crowds at the game, then you are saying no team has the advantage when both have support, just the supporters that are disadvantaged.

So the GF is neutral, except fans have to pay more?

Are you seriously trying to claim the Grand Final is a neutral venue or angling for some silly little gotcha moment?
It's exactly what this electric guy is trying to tell us.

If the fans are there then there is no advantage.

IE: if the Dogs are playing at the MCG against the Hawks, because their fans are there, then they have the home ground.

That's fans not clubs, you are all over the shop now, Brissy fans still had to travel and find accommodation, make up your mind.

If it's crowds at the game, then you are saying no team has the advantage when both have support, just the supporters that are disadvantaged.

So the GF is neutral, except fans have to pay more?
Can you knock it off, please? You know perfectly well what I’m saying and are just playing dumb.

Let me put it into bullet points for you:
  • Having more supporting fans at your game is an advantage
  • This is generally the “home” team due to locality and ticketing
  • If lots of oppo fans turn out at an away game for any reason, this diminishes the home team advantage
  • All things being equal, the home team will have this benefit, but there are exceptions I.e., when a small club (gws, gc) is playing
  • If a grand final is played and it’s vic vs non-vic, the Victoria team can get a bigger crowd as their fans don’t need to shell out thousands for travel and accomodation, they just get a ticket an swipe their myki. This is an advantage on top of the fact that the vic team may have already played a tonne of games at that ground in recent weeks and months

If a grand final is played and it’s vic vs non-vic, the Victoria team can get a bigger crowd as their fans don’t need to shell out thousands for travel and accomodation, they just get a ticket an swipe their myki.
Not true. Both clubs get the same allocation for GF's.

2022 was certainly a pretty even split as was last year.

Can you knock it off, please? You know perfectly well what I’m saying and are just playing dumb.

Let me put it into bullet points for you:
  • Having more supporting fans at your game is an advantage
  • This is generally the “home” team due to locality and ticketing
  • If lots of oppo fans turn out at an away game for any reason, this diminishes the home team advantage
  • All things being equal, the home team will have this benefit, but there are exceptions I.e., when a small club (gws, gc) is playing
  • If a grand final is played and it’s vic vs non-vic, the Victoria team can get a bigger crowd as their fans don’t need to shell out thousands for travel and accomodation, they just get a ticket an swipe their myki. This is an advantage on top of the fact that the vic team may have already played a tonne of games at that ground in recent weeks and months
Yeah I get it.

Bullet point.
In your eyes there is no way that a Vic team has any disadvantages and not a hope in hell a non-Vic club can have an advantage.

Not true. Both clubs get the same allocation for GF's.

2022 was certainly a pretty even split as was last year.
Thanks for the link and agree re: 2022, Sydney have good away turnouts for one reason or another. I accept that the member allocation is the same. How does that work with the MCC allocation though? I can’t help but read this as away fans being allocated <20% of the tickets lol.

WAFL Grand Final is at Optus which is no team's home ground and isn't used at all during the season except for the Grand Final 🤷‍♂️
So no team "earns" a home grand final.

Now you are getting it.

They play the WA GF at the biggest venue in WA.

They play the AFL GF at the biggest venue in Australia.

They do that for the money obviously, because a fool and their money are easily parted.
Its a Victorian thing, it clearly doesnt work in NSW for example, which is why they used Engie last night.
The finals have always been about making money for the league.

They aren't club home games, the $$ go to the league.

The only reason they give "home state" finals in week 1-3, is a better chance of ensuring more $$.

The GF from a commercial perspective is always going to be better at the G.

All 18 clubs sell "gauranteed" GF memberships....how can they do that if the GF might be at 20k Engie?

One's a neutral venue, one gives Vic teams a significant advantage.

You get it, you just prefer the status quo.
Na, been pretty vocal about fixing the status quo where non-Melbourne teams dominate H&A are are always deep in finals.

Can count on the one hand how many GFs - StK, WB, Melb, Carl, Ess and North - have combined to play at the G in the 21st century.

Yet Sydney are likely to play in their 7th this year...but the Swan fans think the bias is against them 🤣🤣

Thanks for the link and agree re: 2022, Sydney have good away turnouts for one reason or another. I accept that the member allocation is the same. How does that work with the MCC allocation though? I can’t help but read this as away fans being allocated <20% of the tickets lol.
MCC allocation is the same as it is every year. Line up at the MCC gates and buy a ticket on the day.
There is likely a varying range of supporter bases in attendance. My uncle follows Carlton and has sat in the MCC for every GF in the last 40 years. They haven't been in one for around 25 years.

Remove this Banner Ad

Mega Thread VICBias - Genuine Discussion Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back