Mega Thread VICBias - Genuine Discussion Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

It's not humour, you said just a couple of posts back is was about to happen.

Were you lying?

Or was it you trying to be funny?
Presidential Debate Trump GIF by Kamala Harris

lol the south v Fitzroy thing is being done to rile up people like yourself.

The only people still angry here are still the non vic people oddly, desperate for victorians to be angry.

I was at the prelim yesterday wanting Brisbane to win probably like every other vic neutral there.
Lol, oh I know theres a few resident trolls that are rolling with it but its not landing, along with the media chasing clicks.

Im more talking about the others who come across genuine in their belief.

There's a difference between being in the NGA and being available as an NGA selection in the draft. SA and WA metropolitan NGA kids haven't been accessible to the SA and WA clubs since the scheme began, and as far as I know that hasn't changed.
They are. There's a few pockets in outback SA that aren't zoned, but most of it is and all of WA is.

Lol, oh I know theres a few resident trolls that are rolling with it but its not landing, along with the media chasing clicks.

Im more talking about the others who come across genuine in their belief.

Media try and stoke the flames of this stuff, they will try to drum up any state rivalry or division they can as it generates clicks and views.

2 weeks ago Dogs and Hawks were the best thing since sliced bread, then it was Hawthorn with all the momentum and took the focus, then they fell by the wayside and the media lost its shit over a minor exchange of words and all the pressure once again fell to Geelong to save face and they too faltered despite the rest and home away from home advantage.
No.
Two weeks ago the focus was on the 80+ point home ground capitulation of the second place team over an interstate competitor. And their biggest fanboi in Kane Cornes refusing to front up to criticise them like he would other clubs.

The next week was all about calling out the immaturity of a 58 year old man taunting a player over an instagram post in a game they should have won at home quite comfortably, while their fanboi called it their best win in a long time.

This week was about the strength ot the swans and the impotency of their opponents forward line and lacklustre leadership. As well as the dogged Lions who overpowered the Cats away from home to set up a tantalising matchup against the two best sides of 2024.

They are. There's a few pockets in outback SA that aren't zoned, but most of it is and all of WA is.
The metropolitan areas still aren't for SA according to this article:

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/graham-wright-quits-collingwood-20240819-p5k3h0.html
For the boys, including the highly talented, 194-centimetre Doug, to be tied to Port in the draft on a bidding system the AFL would need to change the zones for NGA players in South Australia to encompass metropolitan areas.

It's the same rule that meant Port had no rights on Rankine despite him being in Port's NGA prior to being drafted.

I would be surprised if this was changed for WA and not for SA, and as I said, I can't see any evidence that it has.

Sounds like you are confusing NGA participation eligibility with the NGA bidding system.

No.
Two weeks ago the focus was on the 80+ point home ground capitulation of the second place team over an interstate competitor. And their biggest fanboi in Kane Cornes refusing to front up to criticise them like he would other clubs.

The next week was all about calling out the immaturity of a 58 year old man taunting a player over an instagram post in a game they should have won at home quite comfortably, while their fanboi called it their best win in a long time.

This week was about the strength ot the swans and the impotency of their opponents forward line and lacklustre leadership. As well as the dogged Lions who overpowered the Cats away from home to set up a tantalising matchup against the two best sides of 2024.
Well, when you put it that way I should be upset I guess.
But then I remember Vic footy has been put back in its casket and rejoice.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good to see a couple of old traditional Melbourne teams playing of in the Grand final.
I agree. There should have been more Vic teams that got the same treatment. North Melbourne's next premiership should have come playing out of gold coast or Hobart. The Melbourne Hawks should have been a reality.

It is hilarious though, suddenly reading about those thousands of rusted on south and fitzroy supporters that will be at the grand final, after being told by the usual suspects on this thread that we can't reduce the number of Vic teams to reduce Vic bias, because all their fans will be lost to the game forever

The metropolitan areas still aren't for SA according to this article:

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/graham-wright-quits-collingwood-20240819-p5k3h0.html

It's the same rule that meant Port had no rights on Rankine despite him being in Port's NGA prior to being drafted.

I would be surprised if this was changed for WA and not for SA, and as I said, I can't see any evidence that it has.

Sounds like you are confusing NGA participation eligibility with the NGA bidding system.
James Borlase was certainly from metropolitan Adelaide - added as an NGA.

I think the article has gotten it wrong, the issue for the Cochrane kids is doubt about being considered Aboriginal and not having been registered - not the zoning.

James Borlase was certainly from metropolitan Adelaide - added as an NGA.

I think the article has gotten it wrong, the issue for the Cochrane kids is doubt about being considered Aboriginal and not having been registered - not the zoning.
The rules are different for multicultural NGA (don't get me started on the Borlase farce) and indigenous NGA. There was a slight tweak that meant the SA and WA clubs could bid on metropolitan indigenous kids after pick 40 (see here) but still no access for top end talent e.g. Rankine and Pickett.

The whole thing is a total mess for the SA and WA clubs, and to tie it back to the topic of this thread it is reminiscent of the ridiculous FS restrictions put in place by the AFL in the 90s/2000s. But I just wanted to know if your original claim that the "2 WA teams now have unlimited access to all the Aboriginal kids out of WA" was true. I don't think it is.

The rules are different for multicultural NGA (don't get me started on the Borlase farce) and indigenous NGA. There was a slight tweak that meant the SA and WA clubs could bid on metropolitan indigenous kids after pick 40 (see here) but still no access for top end talent e.g. Rankine and Pickett.

The whole thing is a total mess for the SA and WA clubs, and to tie it back to the topic of this thread it is reminiscent of the ridiculous FS restrictions put in place by the AFL in the 90s/2000s. But I just wanted to know if your original claim that the "2 WA teams now have unlimited access to all the Aboriginal kids out of WA" was true. I don't think it is.
That's been the case for all the NGa for Vic too. Mac Andrew was part of Melbourne's academy for example. It's changing soon and they'll be available for matching at any point in the draft.

That article is from 2018. They succeeded and got their tweak and metropolitan kids are part of the academies. And now that you can match at any point, they'll be valuable academies

It's basically now in order of value:

Northern academy

WA academy

SA academy

Vic academy

Port weren't interested in Borlase. They didn't bid on him, so whilst I get them feeling ripped off - they shouldn't be.

Last edited:

That was in 2018, I am fairly sure the rules were changed for 2024, you can match a bid at any time now, like it was before.

That was in 2018, I am fairly sure the rules were changed for 2024, you can match a bid at any time now, like it was before.
They changed after 2020 when juh went to dogs. They made matching much later and expanded the sa and WA zones to include all of WA and most of SA.

Recruiting rules are one thing that certainly aren't advantage Victoria.

They changed after 2020 when juh went to dogs. They made matching much later and expanded the sa and WA zones to include all of WA and most of SA.

Recruiting rules are one thing that certainly aren't advantage Victoria.

The NGA and Academy’s are a complete rort. I haven’t following the discussion here however SA absolutely get screwed over.

The gray is the unallocated space. Majority of the state is ignored. Which doesn’t make any sense considering the rest of the country is covered.

For reference, Port are green. Adelaide blue. The Blue in NT is Melbourne as well so bit of a colour clash.

IMG_0726.jpeg

Remove this Banner Ad

Mega Thread VICBias - Genuine Discussion Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back