Opinion VICBias - Genuine Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Assuming that they did have the chance to bid (noting that there is no way they could compete with the Vic Government bid), this thread would still exist and #VICBIAS! would still be a rallying cry.
How do you know?

In that case, they could have done an open bid and everyone would have been happy.

WA is pretty cash rich at the moment, 50 years of the GF in WA would be interesting.

Because all through this thread there is very little desire from the #VICBIAS crew to come up with solutions, it is all about the persecution complex.

Even out FTA games
Top team gets a home grand final
Even out Marquee time slots
Even out home state talent on list, through academies for all clubs

There are plenty of solutions offered, you just don't listen.

Even out FTA games

Yeah nah. But good to see some ideas.

1 Not a vicbias issue
2 Not realistic
3 Not under the AFL's control, TV networks
4 Don't all clubs have academies?

Yeah nah. But good to see some ideas.

1 Not a vicbias issue
2 Not realistic
3 Not under the AFL's control, TV networks
4 Don't all clubs have academies?

AFL do control who gets marquee time slots like Anzac Day. They just give them all to Vic teams
AFL have influence on television networks.
FTA games are a VICBIAS issue, when the vics teams get the majority of FTA games
Ours is useless, when we only get players after pick 40. Unlike the Vic clubs, who at least had a few years of getting any indigenous player from there state from pick 1.

The grand finals does not need to be in victoria

AFL do control who gets marquee time slots like Anzac Day
AFL have influence on television networks.
FTA games are a VICBIAS issue, when the vics teams get the majority of FTA games
Ours is useless, when we only get players after pick 40. Unlike the Vic clubs, who at least had a few years of getting any indigenous player from there state from pick 1.

You think the AFL should go and suggest lower rating games in place of ANZAC day etc? Not realistic
Don't teams from other states get their teams games on FTA? Cos Vics don't.
So the past inequality with the academies has now been resolved? Would you like reparations?

You think the AFL should go and suggest lower rating games in place of ANZAC day etc? Not realistic
Don't teams from other states get their teams games on FTA? Cos Vics don't.
So the past inequality with the academies has now been resolved? Would you like reparations?

I would like 3 or 4 years access to all indigenous players, , plus additional compensation for all the father son picks the vic clubs have got
or all palyers father son and academies players put into an open draft.

Until that happens, it is not resolved.

Good post, but a great typo.

8mhzbw.jpg

Der Fuhrer was explosive and his 2IC was a blimp, but those rallies were at Nuremberg.

I agree if the GF is pinned in Melbourne then other states should get special rounds like this.
LOL quite right....I'll go and whip myself Franciscan Monk style for my historical error.

Even out FTA games

The FTA game allocation and Marquee slots help to even out the comp - they make tv rights bigger which get distributed to the clubs that need it more. Admittedly, they do also help to entrench the bigger clubs as bigger clubs in the long run - being a big club doesn't seem to have helped CArlton, WCE or Essendon onfield recently though, so not sure if it really is that much of an issue in terms of a level cop.

Academies for all - aka zones - won't even out the competition. The draft is a much better leveller.

Home team GF would be fairer, although I think neutral ground would be even fairer.

I would like 3 or 4 years access to all indigenous players, , plus additional compensation for all the father son picks the vic clubs have got
or all palyers father son and academies players put into an open draft.

Until that happens, it is not resolved.

Remedies for the past is not going to happen. Any club can make a case for something in the past.

Geelong want retrospective access to players from the region plus compensation for having to play Vic clubs at their home ground when they have earned home finals. Freo want that game last week back. Crows want to play finals last year. X club wants priority picks like Y club got.....

Freo/WC have the same father-son access as every other club now correct?

However, the word is that the talent pipeline for indigenous players is really drying up so the idea that all indigenous kids from a particular state can be accessed by home state clubs in a preferential way might have some legs.

LOL quite right....I'll go and whip myself Franciscan Monk style for my historical error.
I actually am persuaded by your points mostly.

The current set up is part political headlock, part milking machine (do not google that for an image mate) and its deeply unfair. This is my long held position btw.

Not sure who is hardest done by, I know your mob gets two fifths of SFA from the league, Gather Round is a very small compensation. Brisbane were accidentally helped one time but not any more, maybe Freo is hardest done by of all? Not sure.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remedies for the past is not going to happen. Any club can make a case for something in the past.

Geelong want retrospective access to players from the region plus compensation for having to play Vic clubs at their home ground when they have earned home finals. Freo want that game last week back. Crows want to play finals last year. X club wants priority picks like Y club got.....

Freo/WC have the same father-son access as every other club now correct?

However, the word is that the talent pipeline for indigenous players is really drying up so the idea that all indigenous kids from a particular state can be accessed by home state clubs in a preferential way might have some legs.

We don't have the same pool of father son's as the Vic clubs have.

I would say in 5 to 10 years, it will be even. Eagles are pretty close to parity.

The FTA game allocation and Marquee slots help to even out the comp - they make tv rights bigger which get distributed to the clubs that need it more. Admittedly, they do also help to entrench the bigger clubs as bigger clubs in the long run - being a big club doesn't seem to have helped CArlton, WCE or Essendon onfield recently though, so not sure if it really is that much of an issue in terms of a level cop.

Academies for all - aka zones - won't even out the competition. The draft is a much better leveller.

Home team GF would be fairer, although I think neutral ground would be even fairer.

FTA and marquee time slots, increase player personal sponsorships. It is like free salary cap space for the clubs

In the NBA, playing for LA Lakers vs a small team, can be worth double the player sponsorship. I would imagine, it would be similar in the AFL.

Last edited:
FTA and marquee time slots, increase player personal sponsorships. It is like free salary cap space for the clubs

In the NBA, playing for LA Lakers vs a small team, can be worth double the player sponsorship. I would imagine, it would be similar in the AFL.

Sure but that's not a vicbias thing, that's a big Victorian (and arguably Sydney soon) club thing.

It is when the AFL gives all the marquee timeslots to the Victorians.

It would be a lot more equal, if FTA games (nationally broadcast), marquee games were evenly split

There are more Victorians, ergo Victorian teams rate better. No amount of anything will change that unless WA starts spending all that money it apparently has to make the FTA broadcast make more money with WA teams than Vic teams.

Again Vic teams don't get their teams on FTA every week. If their team is struggling they might be on only a few times a year.

There are more Victorians, ergo Victorian teams rate better. No amount of anything will change that unless WA starts spending all that money it apparently has to make the FTA broadcast make more money with WA teams than Vic teams.

Again Vic teams don't get their teams on FTA every week. If their team is struggling they might be on only a few times a year.

haha

A question to the conspiracy theorists, a question I've asked ad nauseum.

Why don't you vote with your feet and your remote?

Gluttons for punishment. And it makes the victory sweeter. Not that I'd know about that so far this year.

Tbf the umpires are pretty useless across the board. They've been terrible in rewarding holding the ball tackles this year, to the point play stops and the umpires are telling play on. 4 umpires hasn't improved anything, it's just increased inconsistencies. The same way going to 3 umpires did. They are useless and impacted by the crowd a lot. So it's not all just #ViccoBias but it is sometimes.

I actually am persuaded by your points mostly.

The current set up is part political headlock, part milking machine (do not google that for an image mate) and its deeply unfair. This is my long held position btw.

Not sure who is hardest done by, I know your mob gets two fifths of SFA from the league, Gather Round is a very small compensation. Brisbane were accidentally helped one time but not any more, maybe Freo is hardest done by of all? Not sure.
Its hard to know sometimes because I don't walk in other peoples shoes. I only can relate to it from a Port Adelaide supporters perspective. There are Collingwood supporters on here adamant that the fact they have to play some home games at Marvel is deeply unfair. As a Port supporter I look and see they play 15 games at the MCG and think they are taking the piss surely. I don't walk in their shoes.

I think North, St Kilda and Western Bulldogs get shafted as much as the interstate teams especially by the TV arrangements. So I think its hard to judge who gets it bad. We have always been shafted at the tribunal especially.

I get triggered when Port get criticised that they don't get great crowds. Any team does not get a great crowd at 4.40 on a Sunday and we get a few of those games.

Its hard to know sometimes because I don't walk in other peoples shoes. I only can relate to it from a Port Adelaide supporters perspective. There are Collingwood supporters on here adamant that the fact they have to play some home games at Marvel is deeply unfair. As a Port supporter I look and see they play 15 games at the MCG and think they are taking the piss surely. I don't walk in their shoes.

I think North, St Kilda and Western Bulldogs get shafted as much as the interstate teams especially by the TV arrangements. So I think its hard to judge who gets it bad. We have always been shafted at the tribunal especially.

I get triggered when Port get criticised that they don't get great crowds. Any team does not get a great crowd at 4.40 on a Sunday and we get a few of those games.

I recall Collingwood got sent to Sunday afternoon one year and guess what they drew a poor crowd as well.

Gluttons for punishment. And it makes the victory sweeter. Not that I'd know about that so far this year.

Tbf the umpires are pretty useless across the board. They've been terrible in rewarding holding the ball tackles this year, to the point play stops and the umpires are telling play on. 4 umpires hasn't improved anything, it's just increased inconsistencies. The same way going to 3 umpires did. They are useless and impacted by the crowd a lot. So it's not all just #ViccoBias but it is sometimes.
Do you think Vic Bias exists because Vics actually conspire against non Vic, coz intent / dislike?

Or do you think the bias exists because vics are favoured coz they're the largest market / contributors?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back