Society/Culture Victoria Cross winner Ben Roberts-Smith - Allegations of war crimes

Remove this Banner Ad

I know this isn't directly related to the topic, but neither is a lot of what is being discussed. Did anyone else read this article in Rolling Stone about the culture of drugs and violence amongst the elite military divisions in USA? Apparently there were over 40 deaths at Fort Bragg in 2020 (!!!) and there is a massive cone of silence around what has been going on.

The reason I posted it (apart from being a horrifying yet fascinating article) is that it seems to suggest that warrior mentality that was rife through BRS' unit isn't of course something unique to Australian armed forces.

Well worth the read.

Just a new update on the case with the defamation trial due to begin soon:

Out of interest, between threatening witnesses, destroying evidence and beating women in addition to his (alleged) Afghan murders and torture is there anyone out there outside of Kerry Stokes and News Corp still defending him?

From their defence we still have credible witness reports of BRS committing murders including a "blooding" of a rookie, killing of Ali Jan, at least 3 other murders and two incidents of beatings. The dropping of the claim against the "squirter" seems to be out of lack of witness reports, but the other crimes still have quite considerable witness reports. I wouldn't be chalking this up as a victory to BRS.

True to form.
How can anyone be shocked?

The only shocking thing is that it was published in The Australian. The Daily Telegraph has been running articles in support of BRS (The West Australian of course too).

It’s very true to form. Not only does he intimidate and threaten witnesses who will testify against he he’s now progressed to intimidating his own witnesses!

She doesn't know him other than pinning a gong on his chest.

WTF?

Going for the good character defence

I’m the former Governor General of Australia, I pinned a medal to his chest once and we had a cup of tea afterwards. He seemed like a lovely chap who wouldn’t hurt a fly so obviously he didn’t do the things he was accused of doing.

But as we’ve learnt she won’t be testifying for him so he’s up sh*t creek atm.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

She doesn't know him other than pinning a gong on his chest.

WTF?

He’s a big TV executive and a war hero. He can do whatever he wants you see.

The only shocking thing is that it was published in The Australian. The Daily Telegraph has been running articles in support of BRS (The West Australian of course too).
The West have ignored the story for months but yesterday, when they thought something had gone their way after Nine removed one accusation from its list of allegations, front page splash. Somehow don’t think this will get the same treatment.

How long can you back an obvious losing cause?

The West have ignored the story for months but yesterday, when they thought something had gone their way after Nine removed one accusation from its list of allegations, front page splash. Somehow don’t think this will get the same treatment.

How long can you back an obvious losing cause?
See multiple wars in afghanistan

Yep. They’ve been almost silent on the allegations and then suddenly report on one (of the weakest claims) being dropped as if they’ve been covering the story from day one. And disregarding the killings with tight direct witness evidence.

Of course all the BRS fanboys and girls on the Internet are acting as if the dropping of that one claim is undeniable proof of BRS’s innocence and proof of a media conspiracy to get him.

What do they say when they’re told of the dozens of SAS who blew the whistle on these murders? Are they leftist communist traitors too?

Obviously a ****ing huge mancrush and seeking to preserve his investment in Victoria Crosses.

I must admit I rather admired the bloke when he got his VC. Scrubbed up well. Handsome, confident, very he-man, the kind some of us aspired to be when we were kids. Uniform hides the dreadful full-body tats.

Cliffs:
accused of directly killing unarmed Afghans and covering it up
accused of being party to killing unarmed Afghans by other soldiers and covering it up
threatening fellow soldiers to keep it quiet
threatening and intimidating witnesses
hiding and destroying evidence
being a campaigner

Allegation withdrawn:
one specific instance of dumping his kit, swimming across a river, chasing and killing a local due to lack of hard evidence

Remove this Banner Ad

Society/Culture Victoria Cross winner Ben Roberts-Smith - Allegations of war crimes

Remove this Banner Ad

Back