vs Western Bulldogs

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't understand why some people have said if it was at the Dome we'd be a chance. Last week was an aberation, despite it being our home ground we play Telstra Dome worse then anyone. It might seem strange but i'm much happier playing at Shell, where we have done well in recent years then at Telstra Dome.

Having said that Geelong would beat us wherever it was played. We have improved, but Geelong are very good and should win by 4-5 goals. Our only hope is if Darcy and Johnno combine for at least 10 again. I suspect Johnno will be full forward, he always kills Geelong and him at full forward means Scarlett most likely won't be full back where he is most comfortable

Bulldogs havent lost a game at skilled since 1996, interesting.....
But still is useless considering they have 4 great players(johnson, darcy, west and smith) and the rest let them down. no chance this week

Bulldog1954 said:
I don't understand why some people have said if it was at the Dome we'd be a chance.

Despite the record, most assume that your style of playing loose unaccountable and high possession football is suited to the rarefied air (or lack thereof) of Telstra Dome.

Ipaidmy200in89 said:
Anyone who finishes out of the top four has had a mediocre year Phat.

Hence why i said we weren't mediocre enough to get the opportunities you were given.

danny dickvos said:
Bulldogs havent lost a game at skilled since 1996, interesting.....
But still is useless considering they have 4 great players(johnson, darcy, west and smith) and the rest let them down. no chance this week

LOOK OUT FOR A KID CALLED ADAM AND AN OLDER KID CALLED LINDSAY

Phat said:
We've built our list through good drafting, we haven't had the luxury of numerous concession picks, other top 5 picks and first pick of uncontracted players.

No doubt about that but I would add brilliant development coaching.

I would rate Bomber Thompson the best coach in the league for developing a schoolboy players into quality senior league players. His record is second to none.

I feel the problem's the Doggies have faced was caused by short sighted drafting during the Wallace years. Wallace was a magnificent coach who squeezed every ounce out of an o.k. but not great list. The problem was that the Doggies kept topping up with short term prospects in the hope that they could reach a GF. I rememeber stating to my Doggie's mate that this will come back to bite them and predicted the long term bottom 4 finishes plus the wooden spoon.

The big problem lies with the Doggies middle tier of players caused by this short sighted drafting.

While obviously Cooney and Griffin will be guns i feel it will be a long process for the Doggies to have any real success.

Phat said:
The system has given the Doggies plenty, but given us ******** all (You've had five top 6 picks in the past three drafts, we haven't had a top 5 pick since we traded for one way back in 1990).

We've built our list through good drafting, we haven't had the luxury of numerous concession picks, other top 5 picks and first pick of uncontracted players.

Did you compare Footscray's 5 top 6 picks (Cooney, Ray, Griffen, Williams, Walsh ?) over three years with Geelong's top 5 to exclude Tenace ? If you include him and add in Gary Ablett as top 6 picks, the comparison is not as extreme as you might think. It's academic but you might even throw Nathan Ablett into the mix to get perspective.

Geelong has done very well with its drafting but don't mythologise it.

cats56 said:
I feel the problem's the Doggies have faced was caused by short sighted drafting during the Wallace years. Wallace was a magnificent coach who squeezed every ounce out of an o.k. but not great list. The problem was that the Doggies kept topping up with short term prospects in the hope that they could reach a GF. I rememeber stating to my Doggie's mate that this will come back to bite them and predicted the long term bottom 4 finishes plus the wooden spoon.

The big problem lies with the Doggies middle tier of players caused by this short sighted drafting.

While obviously Cooney and Griffin will be guns i feel it will be a long process for the Doggies to have any real success.

There's something in that, cats56 but add to it that the club was in finals from 1994 to 2000, apart from 1996. No access to early picks during those years.

O Grobbecker said:
Did you compare Footscray's 5 top 6 picks (Cooney, Ray, Griffen, Williams, Walsh ?) over three years with Geelong's top 5 to exclude Tenace ? If you include him and add in Gary Ablett as top 6 picks, the comparison is not as extreme as you might think. It's academic but you might even throw Nathan Ablett into the mix to get perspective.

Geelong has done very well with its drafting but don't mythologise it.
Tenace and ABlett werent top 5 picks.

Our only top 5 pick was Steven Hooper (?) and even then we had to trade to get the pick.

rizzo said:
Tenace and ABlett werent top 5 picks.

Our only top 5 pick was Steven Hooper (?) and even then we had to trade to get the pick.
If you stretch out top 5 to top 6 and include Ablett, who would have been a top 5 according to the pundits, then Geelong has 3 to Footscray's 5. If you reduce the comparison to top 5, as Phat did, then Footscray has 4 to Geelong's 1 or 2 if you include Gary Ablett. Phat compared Footscray's top 6 picks with Geelong's top 5. That meant the inclusion of Williams to Footscray's tally and the exclusion of Tenace from Geelong's.

It's true that Geelong hasn't had the recent access to early selections as Footscray has but it is not true that it hasn't had any. It has had something Footscray hasn't had since Luke Darcy, 2 valuable father sons.

Geelong has done very well with its selections and player development. Leave it at that and don't try and distort it into a myth.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

O Grobbecker said:
Geelong has done very well with its selections and player development. Leave it at that and don't try and distort it into a myth.
It's a fact so how can it be distorted into a myth? A myth can be concocted that a player is top 5 because the pundits say so but it has to actually happen for it to be fact.

Go CATS!!

O Grobbecker said:
If you stretch out top 5 to top 6 and include Ablett, who would have been a top 5 according to the pundits, then Geelong has 3 to Footscray's 5. If you reduce the comparison to top 5, as Phat did, then Footscray has 4 to Geelong's 1 or 2 if you include Gary Ablett. Phat compared Footscray's top 6 picks with Geelong's top 5. That meant the inclusion of Williams to Footscray's tally and the exclusion of Tenace from Geelong's.

It's true that Geelong hasn't had the recent access to early selections as Footscray has but it is not true that it hasn't had any. It has had something Footscray hasn't had since Luke Darcy, 2 valuable father sons.

Geelong have only got one top 5 pick on the list, Ottens, who we traded for. You could argue that both Abletts could've been top 5 picks, but the father son rule is open to all clubs (WA and SA clubs benefit from it the most), and is only a matter of luck (Gary Ablett could've had 4 daughters instead of a couple of sons in there), rather than poor performances which are caused by the club. Do you honestly think that every club who has finished on 5 wins over the past few years has been trying hard to get that 6th win?

Firstly Id like to say its pleassant talk footy with sombody from another board instead of reading insults , so thanks for your contribution
but to say
O Grobbecker said:
If you stretch out top 5 to top 6 and include Ablett, who would have been a top 5 according to the pundits....
is just hogwash.

Gary Ablett was taken in the 2001 Super draft, there is no way he was considered better than Hodge,Ball,Judd,Polak or Clarke at the time of the draft.The way I remember it, some thought he may have been 2 round but others though 4th as he was still young enough to go around for the Falcons again. Then you cant say if you stretch 5 into 6 because why not into 7 or 8, or 20. Yes I accept that we have done well with father sons but to a degree there is luck in this , and all clubs have the chance at this. Its up to genes and the Gods. I believe Whitten 3 is coming thru , I trully hope he is a player for you.
The Prioroity pick system however is crap, I sort of agree with you that any club that finishes outside the top 4 or say the top 8 have had poor years so why give help to the one who wins 5 and not 7, after all it might only be two goals that seperate those two results. Why reward lack of effort.They say God helps those who helps themselves but the AFL help those who dont help themselves,Melbourne is a prime eg. of this. Play well below the talent on your list and still get assitance. For mine the first round of the draft should be 8 raffle picks , who ever has missed the finals, it should have no reference to wins at all.At least this would be a rule that all would know they would have their turn at, I suspect that by the time we revisit the bottom the Priorority Picks system will long gone ( I cant remeber the last time Geelong finsihed last , it must be decades , because even when we are an ordinary side , we dont play dead like Melb in 03, the year we got Tenace as a top5 , I mean6 , I mean 7 pick)

*** After looking it up , the last time we won the Wooden Spoon was 1958

Turbocat said:
Firstly Id like to say its pleassant talk footy with sombody from another board instead of reading insults , so thanks for your contribution
but to say

is just hogwash.

Gary Ablett was taken in the 2001 Super draft, there is no way he was considered better than Hodge,Ball,Judd,Polak or Clarke at the time of the draft.The way I remember it, some thought he may have been 2 round but others though 4th as he was still young enough to go around for the Falcons again. Then you cant say if you stretch 5 into 6 because why not into 7 or 8, or 20.
It's all about perspective, Turbocat. My post was directed at a selective post whereby the poster made a comparison of different positions to emphasise his point. If you want to make a comparison then the criteria must be equal

Priority picks have probably had their day in the present form. Like any concession, it is open to manipulation. It's a brave man that says clubs tank games. I suppose you can tank a game by picking a team unlikely to win rather than by instructing the players not to try. It's a difficult one. I watched the Footscray Essendon match last year nervously. At times in the last quarter, Footscray challanged. To have won would have been pretty pointless. Essendon would have finished in the same position, not even the satisfaction of denying it a finals berth, and we would have won 6 games and missed on Griffen who should be a champion in a few years time.

Enjoy the game this afternoon.

O Grobbecker said:
To have won would have been pretty pointless. Essendon would have finished in the same position, not even the satisfaction of denying it a finals berth, and we would have won 6 games and missed on Griffen who should be a champion in a few years time.

And Moloney and not Ottens may be playing with us now. With the bulldogs priority pick taken away, all subsequent picks would have moved up a notch.

Remove this Banner Ad

vs Western Bulldogs

Remove this Banner Ad

Back