carntheeagles

Senior List
Apr 5, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
S Freo, W Warriors, AUS
anyone have some ideas or thoughts as to who will make the WA state 18's initial squad???
and when will it be announced?

guys like gumbleton, collard, jetta, moss, colbung will obviously be in the squad, just curious as to who else will be in line for selection

If I had to name an inital squad at the moment it would involve these players

Claremont
Clinton Benjamin- Come back with no pre season has been solid with 22 possesions on the weekend and 8 inside 50s also played last year.
Nathan Krakour-Never been out of the best year and with 30 possesions and 5 goals on the weekend is a definite.
Eric Mckenzie- last guy cut last in 05 for 18s tipped to go top 10 this year versatile and will be chb for 18s this year.
Jarryd Morton
Very consistent this year playing on the wing and chf hasnt had one outstanding game but has had all good games also kicked 25 goals from limited games last year (10-14) i think.
James Thompson
Outside chance has been good at CHB wing this year and i very fit and tall.

East Perth
Gary Moss Been the best player in colts this year and made league debut last week with 14 possesions and 1 goal.
Matthew Leunberger Best Ruckmen in the colts competition by a fair margin and has added some goal kicking to his resume this year kicking 10 from 3 games.
Shawn Colbung Played league footy played last year for 18s shoe in.
Paul Collins Goal Kicking midfielder half forward who won trinitys best and fairest last year and has played some very solid football in the last 2 years in the colts comp.
Luke Sampey
State 16s chb played some very good games at chf this year for east perth kicking a few bags. Agressive and strong.

East Fremantle
Dom Foster
Leading colts goal kicker last year and this year at the moment is as well should be certainty for ff.
Chris Masten
AIS captained the team for a game against ireland hard running midfielder with good skills has had some big games topping 30 possesions this year as well.
James Mcnamara Started year with a bang being the 50 possesion man!! then was concussed and has had some solid games since comeback.
Luke Nugent
One who could be in contention for back up ruck position this year has been consistently good.
D :D:D:D:D
Consistently in the best tallish aboriginal midfielder with good skills and good athleticism.

Peel Thunder
Brock Obrien
Tough as nails Half Back who played 18s last year and was part of AIS this year, also played league footy.
Scott Gumbelton
You know why
Ben Howlett
Ball magnet midfielder who has been peels best this year in colts.
Kyle Remeirs
Half Forward midfielder who has a booming kick and good footy smarts.
James Hawksley
Backmen type with good skills and good pace AIS
Bryce Thornton
Captain of peel colts brother of Kristin and Ash very similar to Kristin good solid midfielder plays inside and outside.

South Fremantle

Clayton Collard
definite
Leroy Jetta
All australian last year is definite
Leigh Kelly
Chose him over Jacob Williams for peel just because i see more development in him and has had a very good year so far. Ruckmen who drops back in defence and takes alot of marks but still manages to pop up for a few goals every week or two, dads a premiership player down at souths...dont know if eligible for father son.

Swan Districts
Mathew Aitchinson
Midfielder/Wingman who wins alot ofthe ball and uses it well
James Embley
Utility type brother of Michael and Andrew has good endurance and is a good size.
Michael George
kicked 9 goals 4 on the weekend dont know much about him though.

Subiaco
Matthew Virgo
Strong inside midfielder with clean hands and good skills, played state 15s and 16s.
Joel Ohallaran
FF/Onballer a good sixed forward who can play as a big on baller very strong like virgo and has a booming kick.

Perth
David Myers
190cm Utiltity more sited to lline has an agressive approach and is won the ron barassi medal for best player against ireland this year.
Brett Speldewinde
Half Forward with good work ethic played 15s and 16s has been in best on consistent basis.
Brent Stack
Athletic Aboriginal who kicks alot of goals but can play in most positions on the ground.

West Perth
Steven Browne
been west perths best player this year

Thanks Lingsface.

I've been in Victoria for 18-months, but no Justin Hill or Callum Wilson from South on your list? That is disappointing - Wilson in particular was a strong contributer in the colts grand final side in 2004 as a 16yo.

Does any boby know the age crtiteria for state 18s not sure if all those boys mentioned are eligilble ?

e= eligble e?=think eligble but dont know

Clinton Benjamin[/B-e
Nathan Krakour-e
Eric Mckenzie-e
Jarryd Morton -e
James Thompson-e

East Perth
Gary Moss-e
Matthew Leunberger-e
Shawn Colbung -e
Paul Collins -e
Luke Sampey-e

East Fremantle
Dom Foster-e
Chris Masten-e
James Mcnamara-e?
Luke Nugent-e
D :D:D:D:D-e?

Peel Thunder
Brock Obrien-e
Scott Gumbelton-e
Ben Howlett-e
Kyle Remeirs-e
James Hawksley-e
Bryce Thornton-e

South Fremantle

Clayton Collard-e
Leroy Jetta-e
Leigh Kelly-e

Swan Districts
Mathew Aitchinson-e
James Embley-e
Michael George-e?

Subiaco
Matthew Virgo-e
Joel Ohallaran-e?

Perth
David Myers-e
Brett Speldewinde-e
Brent Stack-e

West Perth
Steven Browne-e?

thanks for that lingsface, most of those names sound like the ones who have been the most impressive this year
saw the swans play souths on the weekend....george has very good hands and has a pretty good kick, size could be a problem though
and havent heard of him much before this weekend

just one thought on your list.....you haven't included many back line players, especially key position back line prospects
any ideas on those? there would have to be at least 6 or 7 genuine back line players in the initial squad you would think???

billings from perth and brennan from east freo are back line players that are cracking a mention in the best pretty often

carntheeagles said:
thanks for that lingsface, most of those names sound like the ones who have been the most impressive this year
saw the swans play souths on the weekend....george has very good hands and has a pretty good kick, size could be a problem though
and havent heard of him much before this weekend

just one thought on your list.....you haven't included many back line players, especially key position back line prospects
any ideas on those? there would have to be at least 6 or 7 genuine back line players in the initial squad you would think???

billings from perth and brennan from east freo are back line players that are cracking a mention in the best pretty often
yeah definitley struggling to find a fb for this year, Billings captain of perth could be an opton but hasnt done a heap....Mitch Savage from East Perth has been awesome but just dosent seem like a player recruiters would be too interested in.

mjp said:
Thanks Lingsface.

I've been in Victoria for 18-months, but no Justin Hill or Callum Wilson from South on your list? That is disappointing - Wilson in particular was a strong contributer in the colts grand final side in 2004 as a 16yo.

both are suffering because of the sh*thouse performance of the team so far.....0-6 always going to be hard to find players from that type of team

would be a major surprise if Hill made the squad....has played one or two really good games but has been very ordinary in the others, having very little impact. looks to be a little underdone for fitness :confused:
but does some good things at full back....the lack of names for a back line spot might just help his cause

Wilson should be on the list for talent alone but has been played in almost every position on the ground (has played as a rover at times) and has struggled to settle in any one position
he has been the dominant player on the ground for certain periods of games probably just needs a more consistent effort over the 4 quarters

will be interesting

(Log in to remove this ad.)

carntheeagles said:
would be a major surprise if Hill made the squad....has played one or two really good games but has been very ordinary in the others, having very little impact. looks to be a little underdone for fitness :confused:
but does some good things at full back....the lack of names for a back line spot might just help his cause

Wilson should be on the list for talent alone but has been played in almost every position on the ground (has played as a rover at times) and has struggled to settle in any one position
he has been the dominant player on the ground for certain periods of games probably just needs a more consistent effort over the 4 quarters

Thanks cte - sorry, no way I can type your alias without being forced to stab myself in the eye!:)

Wilson as a rover? Goodness - here I was recalling him as a CHB. I might have to ask some of the SF people about that one. And Hill at FB? When he first played colts it was as a HBF and he looked a mid-fielder from head to toe - as you have suggested though, fitness could be the issue.

Wilson apparently had injury concerns last year, so I imagine he will work into things over the season. Still as talented a young key defender as I have seen for a while (excluding Hansen at the Power of course, but he can basically play anywhere).

I hope South can turn things around. Keep in mind, if they were a TAC team they would have Leroy Jetta and Clayton Collard playing with them every week - I imagine that could have a slight difference!

For followers of South Freo based u18 representatives of the recent past, a couple of them are playing in Victoria:
Shannon Cox is going well at Williamstown (kicked 6 last weekend)
Jonno Mullins is also playing well in the VFL for Coburg - kicked 5 last week.

4th Tier said:
... + Brent Hall

Are you asking me how he is going? Or telling me he is there?

Yes, Hall is at Willi/Collingwood. No, I dont keep as close a watch on him as my involvement at South restarted again in 2004 - so I missed the previous year when Hall, Moody and Surjan were all drafted and Duffield was (I think) rookied by Freo.

That said, he is going OK - certainly looks a footballer - but really is not impacting games the way you would like if you are a Collingwood supporter.

mjp said:
Are you asking me how he is going? Or telling me he is there?

Was asking, and thanks for that... what are his chances of getting a new contract??

mjp said:
my involvement at South restarted again in 2004

Would you mind on expanding on, what your involvement is down at SF??

4th Tier said:
Was asking, and thanks for that... what are his chances of getting a new contract??

Would you mind on expanding on, what your involvement is down at SF??
Nothing at the moment - I am in Victoria and working with the 18's over here. I was working with the Colts coaching panel at SF in 2004.

New contract? Unsure, but he is a massive unit who Collingwood must have invested a heap of time and money in already - would only be 20 I would guess, so I imagine would get another couple of years as long as he keeps improving.

Tazzmonster said:
What happened to gae grant?

Grae*

is playing colts for Perth in the WAFL

hasnt been dominating matches, and I think it's highly unlikely that he'll be included in the WA State 18's team this year

4th Tier said:
Grae*

is playing colts for Perth in the WAFL

hasnt been dominating matches, and I think it's highly unlikely that he'll be included in the WA State 18's team this year

definitely hasn't been dominating matches and is no where near a certainty, but i wouldn't say he is HIGHLY unlikely
wouldn't be too far off i reckon obviously with the name he has he would be on the minds of state selectors but yeh....probably a few better midfield/forward flankers on offer at other clubs based on current form

From Round 7 in the WAFL

League
Brock O'Brien in the best for the Peel League team
Scott Gumbleton and Jacob Williams also played League for Peel

Colts
Kyle Reimers three goals for Peel in his first game back since his AIS commitments
James Hawksely in the best for Peel in his return match from the AIS
Matthew Virgo listed as best for Subiaco in their 72 point loss to Peel
Dom Foster kicked another four goals, taking him to 27 for the season
Chris Masten in the best for East Fremantle
Grae Grant was Perths best player in their narrow loss to West Perth, Perth are now 1 - 5
Jarryd Morton kicked 7 for in a BOG performance for Claremont today
Hudson Wheeler, Clinton Benjamin and Josh Annear were all among the best for the Tigers

David Myers' Wesley College side went down to Scotch by 7 goals in the opening round of the PSA Season

East Perth had the bye, giving the likes of Leuenberger, Colbung and Moss the weekend off.

4th Tier said:
From Round 7 in the WAFL

League
Brock O'Brien in the best for the Peel League team
Scott Gumbleton and Jacob Williams also played League for Peel

Colts
Kyle Reimers three goals for Peel in his first game back since his AIS commitments
James Hawksely in the best for Peel in his return match from the AIS
Matthew Virgo listed as best for Subiaco in their 72 point loss to Peel
Dom Foster kicked another four goals, taking him to 27 for the season
Chris Masten in the best for East Fremantle
Grae Grant was Perths best player in their narrow loss to West Perth, Perth are now 1 - 5
Jarryd Morton kicked 7 for in a BOG performance for Claremont today
Hudson Wheeler, Clinton Benjamin and Josh Annear were all among the best for the Tigers

David Myers' Wesley College side went down to Scotch by 7 goals in the opening round of the PSA Season

East Perth had the bye, giving the likes of Leuenberger, Colbung and Moss the weekend off.

Yeah great to see Benjamin back at his best. Played a great game kicking two great running goals and took a big hang to go with his 21 possesionsa and 8 inside 50's and 8 marks.
Also Leroy Jetta getting best for reserves, have to get a call up soon to league if not should play him in colts really dont see the point in him playing reserves football all year.

Colts Stat Leaders Rd 7
Disposals
Chris Masten-33 possesions
Matthew Virgo-32 possesions
Nathan Krakouer-29 possesions
Ian Richardson-26 possesions
Rhys Palmer-26 possesions
Daniel Oreilly-25 possesions
Robert Beswick-25 possesions

Goals
Jarryd Morton-7 goals
B Holmes-7 goals
Dom Foster-4 goals
Brad Bennet-4 goals

Marks
Jarryd Morton-12 marks
Rhys Palmer-10 marks
Eric Mckenzie-10 marks

Player of the round
Jarryd Morton-20 possesions 12 marks 7 goals

Top Prospects Watch
Eric Mckenzie-23 possesions 10 marks
Clinton Benjamin-21 possesions 8 marks 8 inside 50's 2 goals
Chris Masten-33 possesions 4 marks 8 inside 50's 1 goals (not elgible)
Kyle Remiers-17 possesions 5 marks 3 goals
Brock Obrien (League)-18 possesions 3 marks
Scott Gumbelton (League)-8 possesions 5 marks

Remove this Banner Ad

WA state 18's

Remove this Banner Ad

Back