Play Nice WADA v Essendon 34: Guilty, 2 Yr Susp. (backdated to Mar 2015). Affects 17 current AFL plyrs.

Remove this Banner Ad

Seems Bruce turned snitch for WADA-

BOMBERS doctor Bruce Reid gave evidence as a witness for the World Anti-Doping Agency in its case against Essendon, documents have revealed.

The club medic was a key WADA witness, and gave his testimony via videolink to the Court of Arbitration in Sport.

WADA emphasised that Dr Reid had been kept in the dark during the club’s disastrous injection regimen.
Interesting.. but didn't Bruce owe a duty of care? Kept in the dark? There was a letter of concern written by Bruce. That is enough to suggest to me that he shoulda torn down the walls to reveal the truth.

Open letter to the "regulars" of the HTB.

Dear regulars,

I'm sorry. I'm sorry that I said mean stuff and trololo stuff over the past year. Why am I apologising? Because I have a newfound respect for you. Because all of these idiots on this board in the last 24 hours are ****ing shit.

That's it.

Yes but is it totally in their hands? I would be amazed if numerous players didn't sue Essendon in addition to what must surely be a decent fine by the AFL.

And what happened re Workcover?

No extra fine from AFL who insist they have already been punished for this. They haven't, the 2013 penalties were for "governance", not doping. So now we arrive at a situation where a team has had 34 players banned for doping, but the governing body takes no action.

They pleaded guilty to WorkCover, can face up up to $600k fine, that's up soon I think.

Now, Hawthorn are an off field powerhouse now, and good luck to them. But I recall the days when the Hawks were hours away from death by merger with the Dees. And I very much recall North being hours away from death by relocation to the Gold Coast.

And the AFL was encouraging both, happy for both our clubs to die. Through sheer hard work, talented management and gutsy supporters, we've both saved our clubs and you guys have enjoyed stunning onfield success.

To hear that useless campaigner McLachlan, who's only achievement seems to be getting a decent dollar for the TV rights for the nation's biggest sport in a market where TV channels are desperate for sport, say "the AFL needs a strong Essendon" and how they will "support the rebuild of Essendon" makes me spew.

This club has inflicted the greatest damage on the competition its history.

Their scum supporters prance about having a go at North getting 25k against Freo on a Sunday arvo as if some empty seats at Etihad is a crime against humanity.

Now they still deny systemic doping by their club despite it being proven in the WORLD'S DECISION MAKING BODY for this kind of stuff.

And the AFL bends over backwards for them.

There is a long way to go on this and my own view is this is going to damage Essendon generationally, through lawsuits and through the brand damage of younger supporters dropping off or not signing up. They are front running bastards anyway, so their crowds will drop off. They also don't have the mentality required to be under siege permanently of a North or Dogs. They don't react well as an organisation under pressure and they still haven't made thye mental leap required to the "new AFL" and how it works.

But jesus and his mother, the AFL hung Benny Cousins out to dry for smashing some lines after a game. DEREGISTERED HIM for a year for having a good time.

Yet it weeps and mewls for these drug cheating scum.

Mind boggling. Makes Sepp Blatter look like a paragon of good judgement.

No extra fine from AFL who insist they have already been punished for this. They haven't, the 2013 penalties were for "governance", not doping. So now we arrive at a situation where a team has had 34 players banned for doping, but the governing body takes no action.

They pleaded guilty to WorkCover, can face up up to $600k fine, that's up soon I think.

Now, Hawthorn are an off field powerhouse now, and good luck to them. But I recall the days when the Hawks were hours away from death by merger with the Dees. And I very much recall North being hours away from death by relocation to the Gold Coast.

And the AFL was encouraging both, happy for both our clubs to die. Through sheer hard work, talented management and gutsy supporters, we've both saved our clubs and you guys have enjoyed stunning onfield success.

To hear that useless campaigner McLachlan, who's only achievement seems to be getting a decent dollar for the TV rights for the nation's biggest sport in a market where TV channels are desperate for sport, say "the AFL needs a strong Essendon" and how they will "support the rebuild of Essendon" makes me spew.

This club has inflicted the greatest damage on the competition its history.

Their scum supporters prance about having a go at North getting 25k against Freo on a Sunday arvo as if some empty seats at Etihad is a crime against humanity.

Now they still deny systemic doping by their club despite it being proven in the WORLD'S DECISION MAKING BODY for this kind of stuff.

And the AFL bends over backwards for them.

There is a long way to go on this and my own view is this is going to damage Essendon generationally, through lawsuits and through the brand damage of younger supporters dropping off or not signing up. They are front running bastards anyway, so their crowds will drop off. They also don't have the mentality required to be under siege permanently of a North or Dogs. They don't react well as an organisation under pressure and they still haven't made thye mental leap required to the "new AFL" and how it works.

But jesus and his mother, the AFL hung Benny Cousins out to dry for smashing some lines after a game. DEREGISTERED HIM for a year for having a good time.

Yet it weeps and mewls for these drug cheating scum.

Mind boggling. Makes Sepp Blatter look like a paragon of good judgement.

Read between the lines idiot.

Hird with the help of public speaking experts and spin doctors has 3-4 days to conjure up something brilliant to save his face and not jeopardize his business dealings outside of footy. Onyaaaaa Hirdyyyyy you beaaautyyyyy! Looking forward to you talking sh..t in your interview Saturday night.. bud.

Hird with the help of public speaking experts and spin doctors has 3-4 days to conjure up something brilliant to save his face and not jeopardize his business dealings outside of footy. Onyaaaaa Hirdyyyyy you beaaautyyyyy! Looking forward to you talking sh..t in your interview Saturday night.. bud.

What can he possibly say to mitigate the damage? Genuine question.

+1

It amazes me the amount of people still falling for the Nuremberg/Dog ate my homework defence. If those people bothered to read the full report they'd see the players were far more complicit and aware than Robbo and co have led everyone to believe. People have been saying for 3 years "The athlete is responsible for what goes into the athletes body". For some strange reason, this is news to people today....

It was good enough reason for the Collingwood boys, and Saad (now that was an absolute disgrace/joke)... But not when it comes to his own team. Same goes for Connolly too. Both have been laughable through this ordeal. They will be able to walk freely now without Hird's hand up their arses at least.

no he is going to say that he is still shocked by the outcome as the players are all innocent, the club is innocent and nothing banned was given to them.

However he cannot tell anyone was was given to the players. the players didn't question nor ask what was given.

In the end it was a problem

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Some good analysis

A very good analysis, however she lets herself down with her understanding of how it could be only TB4 and not the "other 27 varieties of thymosin". And maybe the panel didn't explain it precisely enough for the layperson. But there is no doubt that it was TB4 and not TA1 (the other 26 thymosins are not available to purchase) due to Danks intended results.

And in a year that he wanted to be about 'facts' this will be his "one and only interview"......which just happens to be in Sydney, with a glowing fan.

Should've been held at the comedy club.

images

He can deny his involvement with Charter.. and that that the signed framed hird portrait Charter has in his billiard room is a forgery.. for starters.. then he can move on from there.

Words can be constructed in a way to mitigate anything really. You can mitigate anything if you concentrate your efforts on having folk sympathize with you. Hird with the help of experts will no doubt concentrate his efforts on that.

for the life of me I cannot understand why people are blaming the AFL for this. All clubs were warned about supplements, peptideds and 'sport scientists', Essendon were specifically called in and warned on top of that; by their own volition they (Esxndon) went ahead and ran a 'black ops' doping programme. How they hell are the AFL to blame for this?

When Essendon subsequently got caught, the AFL performed their prescribed role to support the club and protect the wider interests of the league (ie the 17 other clubs) from the disaster and tried their best to use their influence to achieve a 'least worst' result. This was their duty, not some moral failure. Once CAS got hold of it it was well beyond their ability to influence the results - and when Essendon got its rightful wack, they accepted the outcome.

Where in all this is the AFL's failure that you are so angry about?
I think they are angry with the AFLs response that the players are poor innocent things.

Open letter to the "regulars" of the HTB.

Dear regulars,

I'm sorry. I'm sorry that I said mean stuff and trololo stuff over the past year. Why am I apologising? Because I have a newfound respect for you. Because all of these idiots on this board in the last 24 hours are ******* shit.

That's it.
Thanks dude

Are we going to have a poll on how long it will take the AFL to ban banners?
I can see many banners at Essendon games "Drug Cheats"

Putting the hilarity on hold for just a minute...

I can imagine there will be some hairy moments at Essendon games in the first months of the season. I still hear "ya cheatin' campaigners" sceamed out at Carlton games from time to time...our issues were 15 years ago and attracted one-tenth of the media coverage.

Emotions running very very high on one side, plenty of abuse from the other...should be somewhat interesting for a bit.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Play Nice WADA v Essendon 34: Guilty, 2 Yr Susp. (backdated to Mar 2015). Affects 17 current AFL plyrs.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back