Mega Thread Wafl 2012

Remove this Banner Ad

proves that once again stats really don't mean a great deal most of the time. smith played unaccountable footy across half back and while he got 28 touches his opponent was hurting him the other way. Suban played deeper and more accountable and wasn't required to play that role across half back with Morton and Stevenson already playing that role..

suban knows his best chance to get a permanent role is to play that lock down defender role on a small forward and did it well yesterday.

Who did he play on?

Interestingly the AFL report in the West (which is admittedly not given a lot of credence) described Suban as "solid across half back" while some of the higher possession Eagles players were described as "not having much influence".

Suban really isn't as slow as you make out Chops, his movement around packs in particular is very good IMO. Broughton isn't lightning quick either yet he'd my first choice to play lockdown small defender.

Think people are being way too harsh on Suban, this is practically his first uninterrupted pre-season since his debut season, he has a low possession count in his first WAFL match and gets widely panned?
I'm not sure all his previous pre-seasons were interrupted.

He has so much more to offer that shutdown HBF but doesn't. Why?

Gavin Roberts kicked a couple of nice goals in the ressies. Lets hope his body stays together and see how he goes when he steps up to league level.

proves that once again stats really don't mean a great deal most of the time. smith played unaccountable footy across half back and while he got 28 touches his opponent was hurting him the other way. Suban played deeper and more accountable and wasn't required to play that role across half back with Morton and Stevenson already playing that role..

suban knows his best chance to get a permanent role is to play that lock down defender role on a small forward and did it well yesterday.

Stevenson was playing just as deep and regularly beat his opponent, then timed his chances to run off, he worked a lot harded and was bog.
Suban had the chance to run of but didn't take them.
Also dont like when he puts his hands on the hips and watches play, he needs to get more involved, as he has the skills to make a great impact on the game like Stevenson does.

Those in action this weekend:

Crozier
Roberton
Walters
Faulks
Crichton
Sheridan
Schloithe
Roberts ( reserves )

Anyone actually see Crozier play? Stats are very promising. Roberton and Crichton both had 20+ touches. So far it seems like our WAFL players may perform well this season under Lyon and may put more selection pressure on the players. The worst senior player in the WAFL so far has been Suban. Sheridan had 14 touches. Walters had 14 possies a goal and two behinds.

On another note Palmer is playing a very good game for GWS.

Anyone actually see Crozier play? Stats are very promising. Roberton and Crichton both had 20+ touches. So far it seems like our WAFL players may perform well this season under Lyon and may put more selection pressure on the players. The worst senior player in the WAFL so far has been Suban. Sheridan had 14 touches. Walters had 14 possies a goal and two behinds.

On another note Palmer is playing a very good game for GWS.
I watched it on ABC 2 ,although built like a stick insect ,he hit the ball at pace and used the ball well,always seemed to be at the fall of the ball,went for a couple of hangers (unsuccessfully) and kicked a couple of neat goals.
In a couple of years I think this bloke will be a more than handy AFL player.
Roberton was also very good,had a heap of the ball,provided a bit of run out of the backline and used the ball reasonably well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah I saw the game. Crozier was good, his first goal was really good (I missed the 2nd) but he took a couple of good marks as well and seems to know how to find the footy. Doubt he will play AFL this year under Lyon, he is very slight.

I was also impressed with Roberton he took some very good defensive contested marks plus although his kicking is a bit loopy I don't think I saw him miss a target by hand or foot which I was very impressed with, he also found a lot of it I wouldn't be surprised if he is named in the best players for EP.

Also though Roberton was very good considering he has had an interrupted preseason. Definitely looks bigger but also taller, maybe?? Not sure where he is going to fit in this year as it looks as though McPhee and Johnson have dibs on the third/fourth tall position in the backline.

8 played from Freo this weekend:
- Jordan Wilson (Sth Freo Reserves): 15disposals, 6marks, 4I50, 1B
- Hayden Schloithe (Sth Freo): 13disposals, 5marks, 2t, 1I50, 1G, 1B
- Gavin Roberts (Perth Reserves): 15disposals, 3marks, 1t, 2I50, 2G
- Hayden Crozier (Est Perth): 17disposals, 5marks, 1t, 4I50, 2G
- Dylan Roberton (Est Perth): 23disposals, 13 marks, 1t, 1I50
- Michael Walters (Swans): 14disposals, 5marks, 1t, 4I50, 1G, 2B
- Jesse Crichton (Peel): 22disposals, 4marks, 1t, 2I50, 1B
- Tom Sheridan (Peel): 14disposals, 5marks, 1I50
- Peter Faulks (Peel): 15disposals, 4marks

The pick of the bunch was Roberton being named East Perth's best player. Also Crozier and Crichton named in their teams best. So on the back of Jay VB last week being one of West Perth's best a step in the right direction regarding building depth.

For anyone interested Perth led South Fremantle at 3QT by 50pts. Perth ended up losing to South Fremante by 8 pts.

Just on another note, got onto the site to check out WAFL ... Had to laugh only report for the East Perth/ Claremont was "Tony Micale ( East Perth Coach) reported for abusive language at half time"

Crozier & Roberton were impressive.

Roberton set up a lot of play from half-back and was clearly EP's best. Excellent first game back.

Crozier's second goal was great. He was cramping up and doing stretches on the ground as Claremont rebounded from half-back. When the ball came back into EP's forward line 30 seconds later, he got in front of his man, went for a mark and got a free 45m out. He kick it through at post height, stumbled off the ground and puked.

Good start from these blokes. :thumbsu:

I saw the game on TV too and totally agree with the comments about Dylan Roberton.

He is very much like Michael Johnson in that he reads the ball well, takes a good mark and drops back nicely into space in the back line. He is very cool under pressure and clears the ball well from the half back line. Not the quickest player though.

Thanks Gents, looks like Roberton is starting to develop into the third tall for Dawson and Silvagni when the time comes. My memory of him was next to Fyfe post game in their first year and making Fyfe look big! Thinking now he was about the same height.

I saw the game on TV too and totally agree with the comments about Dylan Roberton.

He is very much like Michael Johnson in that he reads the ball well, takes a good mark and drops back nicely into space in the back line. He is very cool under pressure and clears the ball well from the half back line. Not the quickest player though.

I actually that was one negative I got from watching yesterday was that he seemed slow compared to a number of other WAFL players. That might be an issue at the next level up. But yes otherwise had a good game and was too strong for his opponents generally.

I suppose he's a little like Johnno, key differences being that he's much more courageous and willing to put his body on the line but his kicking isn't in the same stratosphere as MJ.

I've knocked Roberton in the past, don't dislike him but I don't think his disposal is up to it, but this is exactly the type of performance you want from your fringe players when they're in the WAFL.

Wish I wasn't working last night, I'd actually planned on going to the Souths game :(

Remove this Banner Ad

Mega Thread Wafl 2012

Remove this Banner Ad

Back