Mega Thread Wafl 2012

Remove this Banner Ad

No Pitt either.

Pitt is an emergency for the Geelong game. As are VB and Groves. Is the Lions v Bulldogs game Sunday? That is the only way they could name Grover in both, isn't it?

Edit 2; Apparently Subi play tonight... Clueless then. I didn't think emergencies were released for WAFL.

Players on show this week:

S v SF

A Grover
H Schloithe

P v PT

J Crichton
P Faulks
T Sheridan
A Morabito ( reserves )

EF v C

S Menegola
J Griffin
A Silvagni

EP v WP

H Crozier
D Roberton

No Mundy, Anthony or Neale. No VB - could he be a late inclusion on Saturday?

Thanks Dudley! Do you know if JWK is playing for SF this week as he played a solid game in South's ressies last week and there is no news on him being injured?

True, but their is no substitute for match conditioning. A WAFL hitout would of given him a better platform for round 2.

Not necessarily. What if Subiaco win/lose by 60 points and Mundy spends 70% of his time doing SFA in the back-line? What if Subiaco win by 60 points and Mundy doesn't do anything more than jog after 1QTR time? If it's conditioning Mundy is after, they can manage his workload a lot better on the track.

Run > Sprint > Jog > Sprint > Jog > Rest etc

If he plays on the weekend and doesn't get the required workload done, then he'll be required to do an extra session next week. That isn't an ideal situation prior to a Sydney road trip.

If the concern was that he would be out of touch, then sure, the WAFL would be a better option. IMO that wouldn't be the case with a player like Mundy.

Something tells me if Subi's 60 points up, it won't be because Mundy was playing in the backline with his hands on his hips all day. :p

They could play him with Subi and give the subi coaches instruction to chuck him on the ball all day which would make the most sense.

Something tells me if Subi's 60 points up, it won't be because Mundy was playing in the backline with his hands on his hips all day. :p

Of course not, but how hard do you think he'd be pushing in the 3rd and 4th quarters? It's pretty easy going when the game is out of reach for the opposition.

They could play him with Subi and give the subi coaches instruction to chuck him on the ball all day which would make the most sense.

I realise that, it still doesn't mean he'd get the required amount of work done.

I'm not knocking the WAFL, or suggesting that players shouldn't return via games there. All I'm saying, is that in order to get his fitness/conditioning up to the required standard and ensure he's ready for the Sydney game, it may be better for Mundy to take part in a match simulation session this weekend.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He could also do match conditioning after the game, not unlike when AFL coaches make their green vest subs do end to end sprints after the games to expend their energy when they've only played a qtr/half.

A WAFL game wouldn't in any way be detrimental to his conditioning, otherwise AFL teams wouldn't use the state leagues to build match fitness.

Not necessarily. What if Subiaco win/lose by 60 points and Mundy spends 70% of his time doing SFA in the back-line? What if Subiaco win by 60 points and Mundy doesn't do anything more than jog after 1QTR time? If it's conditioning Mundy is after, they can manage his workload a lot better on the track.

Run > Sprint > Jog > Sprint > Jog > Rest etc

If he plays on the weekend and doesn't get the required workload done, then he'll be required to do an extra session next week. That isn't an ideal situation prior to a Sydney road trip.

If the concern was that he would be out of touch, then sure, the WAFL would be a better option. IMO that wouldn't be the case with a player like Mundy.

That makes no sense. Mundy is trying to prove his fitness to play and wouldn't be that undisciplined. You simply can't replicate the intense pressure found in game on the track. Like Nickos said if his GPS showed that he didn't run enough he would do extra after the game. Why do you think Barlow go through most of the pre-season yet as soon as the intra-club match came along he pulled up with soreness. Mundy is definitely a different type of player but would of benefited from a WAFL game this weekend.

Perhaps Lyon has a direct line to the big fella, who whispered to Ross that if he were Freo coach and not just an interventionist super-being he wouldn't play a certain former Doig medallist in the WAFL this week because a certain South Fremantle player is having marital (aka sexual) difficulties and is looking to take his marital (aka sexual) frustration out on his opposition on Friday night. If this was the case and I was Ross, match simulation would be my preference... Less chance of a ruptured colon that way.

Seriously raise your hand if youve spent your life and career as a top level sports scientist? The club have a plan to get him close to match fitness as possible. The guy is elite with his skills no need to "get touch". Mora yes, Mundy no.

Also Mundy doesn't need to play WAFL, nothing to do with fitness just too risky.

Only Schloithe playing in tonights game.

Interesting to see Joey Daye, ex GC Sun, playing for Subi. Saw him in a few games for GC in the VFL the year before they came in and he looked alright.

Whats the go with Ryan Cook. All the goss was that we were keen on him last year. Running riot again for Souths. 29 possies to 3/4 time.

Seriously raise your hand if youve spent your life and career as a top level sports scientist? The club have a plan to get him close to match fitness as possible. The guy is elite with his skills no need to "get touch". Mora yes, Mundy no.

Also Mundy doesn't need to play WAFL, nothing to do with fitness just too risky.

If that were true then he wouldn't have re-injured his ankle against North Melbourn last year. Also, Ross said on camera that he wanted Mundy to play WAFL. Don't forget he has been out of action for a long time and completed none of the pre-season with a serious injury. You can't expect him to slot straight in. I still hope he kills it against Sydney, if he plays.

Not sports scientist, but was involved at top level sports for some time. In any case, most close watchers of footy would know the difference between general fitness and 'match fitness'. If he didn't play WAFL, almost certainly it's because he's not up to it injury wise. i.e. it was deemed to risky for his injury rehab.

If he was up to it, then it would be very unusual (though not impossible of course) for him not to play a WAFL game for match conditioning's sake. Keep in mind, he played very little footy towards the end of last year too. He's gone a long time without any match condition work.

Or, to put it another way - given Ross has indicated he's one of the rare few in his squad he could see coming straight into the team despite the long lay-off, if Mundy wasn't AFL ready he basically wasn't WAFL ready either. That'd be my guess anyway.

If you want a good example of match fitness compared to track fitness you should look at the Hawks/Collingwood game 4th quarter. Those guys are fit, some are fitter than our players but they were cramping up.

It's not really a big deal. A few weeks into the season, so long as you haven't picked up any tricky knees in the back or your duck waddle running style (*cough* me *cough*) hasn't caused any imbalance related problems, you'd be feeling better than ever.

It's all down hill from there. You ramp up your fitness with everyone else, then week after week starts to take it's toll and the guys who are really fit and have good recovery methodology sustain it for a bit longer.

Mundy can get out and play this week, but he is still human. He will fatigue earlier in the season for each % of endurance he has missed out on if you can quantify it.

I don't expect Mundy to play WAFL. I think he will put some big runs into his legs, spend a lot of time in the ice baths and on the massage table then front up against Brisbane.

Remove this Banner Ad

Mega Thread Wafl 2012

Remove this Banner Ad

Back