Mega Thread Wafl 2012

Remove this Banner Ad

People bag Pitt because he actually has given us nothing. Walters kicks goals, Pitt can't get a kick. Give me an overweight small goal kicker with a big game temperament (Dew) over a skinny tall flanker with no appetite for the contest (the dozens of 21 year olds who get delisted every year).

He's another Brades, has love affairs with certain favourite players and often irrational vendettas against others :)

He's another Brades, has love affairs with certain favourite players and often irrational vendettas against others :)

Thats rubbish, I look at football as objectively as anyone, If i see a player that isnt performing after a game i'll voice that opinion. and given some others unfounded pinions of some players that i see, probably more objectively than most.

My point I suppose is that many times ive seen on here that we have this superstar sitting on the sidelines, but in how many AFL games has he actually produced? and if he is so good, why has he failed to play games? yet a guy like pitt who is underdeveloped etc doesnt get any leeway... if we give one player so much lattitude why not another??

Can you please point me to the posts saying Pitt will never play AFL again?

Walters weakness haa always been his attitude, yet despite showing encouraging improvement of that weakness this year you continue to write him off. Imagine how stupid it would be if Pitt went out this week and got 30 touches in the WAFL and people said he'd still not up to AFL standard.

Can you please point me to the posts saying Pitt will never play AFL again?

Walters weakness haa always been his attitude, yet despite showing encouraging improvement of that weakness this year you continue to write him off. Imagine how stupid it would be if Pitt went out this week and got 30 touches in the WAFL and people said he'd still not up to AFL standard.

walters has been in the system for 4 years, pitt 2. 3 of those 4 years, walters has returned from preseason overweight, I just dont think walters will win back ross lyon's trust. Pitt, i think has a very good chance of becoming a good afl player, and more importantly i think he has more time to prove it...

I know walters is only young, but these days, in the afl, you cant play as little football as michael has and not be on the chopping block, especially when a lot of that is due to your own discipline issues. If pitt gets to his 4th year and is not a regular player, then I would fully expect him to be on the chopping block as well... there are the odd exceptions of course i.e andrew browne

My point I suppose is that many times ive seen on here that we have this superstar sitting on the sidelines, but in how many AFL games has he actually produced? and if he is so good, why has he failed to play games? yet a guy like pitt who is underdeveloped etc doesnt get any leeway... if we give one player so much lattitude why not another??
nothing i suppose is probably a little harsh, i will change that to very little. in four years of afl football he has given us 3 games.... yet he is such sa superstar

He's failed thus far because of his attitude. But what he has shown us in terms of natural talent and big game temperament is highly exciting. That's why some of us are hoping he's turned the corner and will be given an opportunity. He's a matchwinner on his day.
Pitt will, unfortunately always get compared to Darling who we really could use right now. Pitt seems, laconic, outside, but with poise and neat skills (which have not stood up under pressure so far). He looms as a bit of a luxury project type pick which we really weren't in the position to take at that time. I personally believe he will play AFL at a decent level eventually but he's not much use at the moment. Walters is one we have a real need of right now. A dynamic, creative, highly skilled goalkicker with proven big game form.

find me one post where i have bagged duffield? then find one post of recent times where i havent praised johnson for turning his form and career around?

And how old is Johnson? And how many times would you have delisted him before now?

Walters has too much potential to burn him yet.

He's failed thus far because of his attitude. But what he has shown us in terms of natural talent and big game temperament is highly exciting. That's why some of us are hoping he's turned the corner and will be given an opportunity. He's a matchwinner on his day.
Pitt will, unfortunately always get compared to Darling who we really could use right now. Pitt seems, laconic, outside, but with poise and neat skills (which have not stood up under pressure so far). He looms as a bit of a luxury project type pick which we really weren't in the position to take at that time. I personally believe he will play AFL at a decent level eventually but he's not much use at the moment. Walters is one we have a real need of right now. A dynamic, creative, highly skilled goalkicker with proven big game form.

And how old is Johnson? And how many times would you have delisted him before now?

Walters has too much potential to burn him yet.

I would have traded johnson every year for the last 4 years... how many of those years did johnson disappoint us though... we are only now seeing him fulfill his potential.... its unfortunate, but johnson has wasted some years in his prime.... im glad he is playing well now, but at the end of last year, if GWS had of offered pick 30-odd for him id have wanted the FFc to take the deal.... he was beyond horrible last year...

on walters... how long do you propose we keep him for before we give up? there are a lot of players who are talented that are delisted after their 2nd and 3rd years let alone their 4th

It's really easy to say Walters doesn't have the attitude to succeed. But he has worked hard to get back into shape and is playing good football in the WAFL. He could easily have gone the other way, and just given up. But he didn't. That says a lot about his commitment to me.

Some people just need that first push.

it probably helps walters that his old mates yarran and natanui are doing well. nothing spurs you on like seeing your friends go past you.

It's really easy to say Walters doesn't have the attitude to succeed. But he has worked hard to get back into shape and is playing good football in the WAFL. He could easily have gone the other way, and just given up. But he didn't. That says a lot about his commitment to me.

well one thing is for sure, under ross, he is going to have to continually prove himself, i dont think respect is easily won back from ross once lost

walters has been in the system for 4 years, pitt 2. 3 of those 4 years, walters has returned from preseason overweight, I just dont think walters will win back ross lyon's trust.

Where as I reckon Ross has told Sonny to go away and improve his attitude or don't come back. Sonny has improved his attitude, he has come back and now it's just a matter of whether he's improved it enough. Even if he hasn't improved it to the level Ross wants, the fact that he has improved it enough to come back suggest he's worth persevering with.

Where as I reckon Ross has told Sonny to go away and improve his attitude or don't come back. Sonny has improved his attitude, he has come back and now it's just a matter of whether he's improved it enough. Even if he hasn't improved it to the level Ross wants, the fact that he has improved it enough to come back suggest he's worth persevering with.

fair point, i guess we will see. It may help his case that he plays in an area of the ground that we are so deficient in

Purely going off that clip, it looked like he was playing some of the game in the middle. Ultimately he needs to get fit enough to be a viable part of the midfield rotations. It lets us rotate Neale, Ballas, Walters and prospectively Crozier through the mid and half-forward flank.

Just on KPR's point re: speed in small forwards, there must be a bunch who aren't overly quick surely? I don't recall Medders being overly blessed in that department and I don't think LeCras is either. It's nice to have but other elite attributes (basically the stuff E Shed said above) can compensate for it.

well one thing is for sure, under ross, he is going to have to continually prove himself, i dont think respect is easily won back from ross once lost

Same can be said for most players. If they don't perform, or do what's asked, they get the chop. Fortunately in Walters case, he's turned the corner and working hard. Strange how you can't fathom that it can take a young kid like Walters time to mature? That's why most are forgiving his past disgressions based on what he's showing. Think you should try and do the same.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Surely you jest in regards Peel vs EP as a beauty? You do realise East Perth will win by 80+ points. Great game that will be to watch :rolleyes: ..EF vs SD game of the round

I think he's talking from a Freo perspective: Pitt, Crozier, Sheridan, Faulks and Morabito all in the same game.

That's the only reason a lot of us bother watching the WAFL.

from the clip it appears as if he has gotten into an appropriate shape (not round :D) & his class stands out.
Walters is a natural goalkicker & at a time when we are missing Mellington from early in the season, surely he must be moving towards being considered.
I do appreciate that Mello was so valuable for his attack on the man & the ball, but it was his goal scoring which we currently miss.
Walters is a class footballer who I am looking forward to seeing in purple soon.
:thumbsu:

Same can be said for most players. If they don't perform, or do what's asked, they get the chop. Fortunately in Walters case, he's turned the corner and working hard. Strange how you can't fathom that it can take a young kid like Walters time to mature? That's why most are forgiving his past disgressions based on what he's showing. Think you should try and do the same.

where have i said he wont? i have no doubt he will at some point. how long do we wait? it happens all the time players getting drafted and delisted after 4 years. why would it be so surprising if he were delisted?

as for forgiving past indisgressions... there is nothing for me to forgive, I have no vendetta against him... i just dont think he will make it... so what? :confused: everyone is saying his attitude is changed, well he has been let back in to the club, so thats a good start, if he earns another contract we will see how he comes back after another preseason.... he is very talented and its not like we dont need a talented forward

A few more games like last week where he single-handedly won Swannies the game and he'll be back very soon. Fellow Swannies teammate Clancee and his story would also be a motivating factor for Sonny.

Walters' and Freo's biggest problem was they allowed Headland to mentor him.

If he's been told to **** off, Walters may have a chance. If not, he is no chance.

How often do you see in our games and other matches a small forward with pace running on to a loose ball kicked over the back of the press?

A few times a game; about as often as I see a KPF doing the same. Either way, it's a hell of a lot less than I see a stoppage I50.

I'm sorry, but that's such a simplistic argument. He's not quick enough to score on the fast break so he can't play...

You only have to look as far back as Monday night. Both of Eddie Betts goals came from stoppage play inside their forward 50. They had nothing to do with Betts being the fastest player out there - lucky for him considering he isn't quick. It was all positioning, clean hands and having enough skill to finish.

In today's game I just can't see Walters fitting in.He's got great skills but lacks pace and strength. You look at him and go, yep I could easily brush him aside.

Lacks pace, sure. Strength, can be improved over time so shouldn't count against him - particularly now that he actually looks like putting in the required work.

on walters... how long do you propose we keep him for before we give up? there are a lot of players who are talented that are delisted after their 2nd and 3rd years let alone their 4th

How about we start by basing our decision on whether to delist him off what happens this season. Since being sent back to the WAFL, how has he behaved? Like a lazy slacker who doesn't care, or a kid on his last chance that is out to prove he can make it?

Pearce, Walters and Suban were all talented juniors. Lyon has given all three a kick in the pants since arriving. There is a fair chance it was the first time any of them were challenged in that manner by a senior coach. Pearce has clearly responded. It's still early days, but Walters seems to have responded as well. (Note: It's hard to gauge Suban's response at the moment)

If Walters makes his way back into the 22 would you still want to delist him?

Well said.

I would have traded johnson every year for the last 4 years... how many of those years did johnson disappoint us though... we are only now seeing him fulfill his potential.... its unfortunate, but johnson has wasted some years in his prime.... im glad he is playing well now, but at the end of last year, if GWS had of offered pick 30-odd for him id have wanted the FFc to take the deal.... he was beyond horrible last year...

It's because Johnson is so talented and capable of playing at the level he's playing that he has been persisted with. If we'd delisted him we wouldn't be getting the benefits of his talents so with the benefit of seeing his form this season it's logical to say it would have been a mistake to delist him. All that development time would have been wasted or worse, put to use by a rival club.
It's a tough caper AFL and players that have been in the system as long as Johnson have the benefit of experience and accumulated knowledge that is far more valuable than the potential of the pick we might have gotten for him.

I'm just making the case that Walters is at a similar level of potential reward for persistence by us. He could be that player that kicks 4 goals in a Grand Final and makes the difference on the day.

If you know they can play, work out how to get them to play as well as they can. We know Walters can play at the highest level and be a match winner.

A few times a game; about as often as I see a KPF doing the same. Either way, it's a hell of a lot less than I see a stoppage I50.

I'm sorry, but that's such a simplistic argument. He's not quick enough to score on the fast break so he can't play...

You only have to look as far back as Monday night. Both of Eddie Betts goals came from stoppage play inside their forward 50. They had nothing to do with Betts being the fastest player out there - lucky for him considering he isn't quick. It was all positioning, clean hands and having enough skill to finish.

Lacks pace, sure. Strength, can be improved over time so shouldn't count against him - particularly now that he actually looks like putting in the required work.

How about we start by basing our decision on whether to delist him off what happens this season. Since being sent back to the WAFL, how has he behaved? Like a lazy slacker who doesn't care, or a kid on his last chance that is out to prove he can make it?

Pearce, Walters and Suban were all talented juniors. Lyon has given all three a kick in the pants since arriving. There is a fair chance it was the first time any of them were challenged in that manner by a senior coach. Pearce has clearly responded. It's still early days, but Walters seems to have responded as well. (Note: It's hard to gauge Suban's response at the moment)

If Walters makes his way back into the 22 would you still want to delist him?

Well said.

My argument isn't solely directed about the offensive side of the modern day small forward,possessing good pace and strength helps with the defensive side
of the game too.

If Walters tries to put on muscle it'll probably make him even slower.
Walters will be de-listed this year IMO.

Remove this Banner Ad

Mega Thread Wafl 2012

Remove this Banner Ad

Back