Mega Thread Wafl 2012

Remove this Banner Ad

But the thing that frustrates me the most about Hill is that he doesn't chase and tackle and his defensive pressure is a liability.

That's just wrong.

Also, if Crozier supposedly will be better than Hill according to you, how is Hayden's chase, tackle and defensive pressure looking?

Hill is a gun and will only get better, he's 21 years old and has worn the brunt of the opposition's best tagger for the last 2 years. He's about to roll right over the top of 'em..

Pitt was ok. He runs to good positions, used it beautifully when he had it.
He just looks a bit slow for an outside player. It would be one thing if he was winning the footy but he's a receiver only at this point and now that he's put on some weight he doesn't look to be covering the ground all that well. His standard gait is a sort of Barlow like waddle without the burst away from traffic that Barlow has.
He's a project player, I wouldn't expect him to play much footy at the top level this year now that our injury list isn't the size of a Mumbai emergency ward. The club seems happy with the way he's tracking form what little I've read about him. I liked him a lot in his first few outings and he does have a happy knack of finding space.

Interesting. Definitely gunna have to work very hard at winning his own ball and beating his opponent if he is ever gunna get a spot in our midfield and our team for that matter. For me he is not lethal enough to just be a good user.
Don't think he will get much if any of a run this year with what we are trying to achieve with contested football but the club will no doubt give him at least a couple more years to deliver and I have faith.

Definitely.I'm really looking forward to seeing 1 or 2 of our most recent draft picks getting a run this year in the big-time.

I don't think it's very likely. There is already a queue of senior players forming to get into the team. From last weeks winning team we have to fit in (assuming Balla comes back in), Silvagni, Mundy, Lower, Morabito, Anthony (he's in for Balla so someone goes out), then after than there is Griffin, Grover, Roberton, Pitt.
I reckon that's 5, possibly 8 in front of anyone from this years crop. Try taking even 3 players out of last weeks team, it's tough! ok Pearce and maybe Crowley but after that it gets tough.
Maybe Crozier would get a look but he'd have to displace Mellington or Mayne.
Neale would be behind Mundy, Lower, Mora to get a mid spot.
Depending on injury Spurr could get an upgrade for Suban or Duffields spot.
Sheridan is probably no chance this year.
It's so good to finally have some depth!

I know this is a WAFL thread but reading about Pitt I had a thought. Unfortunately havent seen any of his WAFL games since he was drafted so what I have seen on him is restricted to his games for Freo last year. I agree this year (and perhaps even next?) he is going to have a hard time cracking Freos midfield now.

Is there a position for him elsewhere? With his disposal could he perhaps make it as an offensive defender? I know perhaps he would be competing with Duffield, Broughton (although they at times play midfield / wing)?

I don't think it's very likely. There is already a queue of senior players forming to get into the team. From last weeks winning team we have to fit in (assuming Balla comes back in), Silvagni, Mundy, Lower, Morabito, Anthony (he's in for Balla so someone goes out), then after than there is Griffin, Grover, Roberton, Pitt.
I reckon that's 5, possibly 8 in front of anyone from this years crop. Try taking even 3 players out of last weeks team, it's tough! ok Pearce and maybe Crowley but after that it gets tough.
Maybe Crozier would get a look but he'd have to displace Mellington or Mayne.
Neale would be behind Mundy, Lower, Mora to get a mid spot.
Depending on injury Spurr could get an upgrade for Suban or Duffields spot.
Sheridan is probably no chance this year.
It's so good to finally have some depth!

Neale will get a chance for sure going by his impressive pre-season.
From what I've briefly seen of crozier and now reading about his performance today,crozier will probably debut in 2012 too.
I reckon spurr will get his chance as well.

Neale will get a chance for sure going by his impressive pre-season.
From what I've briefly seen of crozier and now reading about his performance today,crozier will probably debut in 2012 too.
I reckon spurr will get his chance as well.

Not saying you are wrong but tell me who you leave out of last weeks team to fit in Mundy, Silvagni, Morabito, Lower. Then who would you leave out for Crozier or Neale after that. Lachie missed the boat a bit, he would have got the place Pearce got in Round 1 but now everyone is coming back and staking a claim.
Of course it will probably come down to injury in the end or resting players. I'd see Crozier would have to replace Mellington, DeBoer or Mayne so if Mello got a niggle or something or has a couple of ordinary games Crozier might get the start.
My thinking is that hopefully the footy gods are done with injuries in plague proportions for a while. Put that with the fact we are no longer desperately shoving 1st year players in to find some talent like we were at the start of our rebuild and finally look at Ross's track record of preferring senior players with hard bodies in the trenches and it might make it tough for first year players to get a look in.
Having said all that I suppose we are realistically looking at the next few years as premiership window so he needs to know who can give him that extra 5 or 10%. He's on record as saying we need to find some more talent.
Crozier and Neale in particular look like the types that can really make a difference. Crozier is mercurial and Neale a ball magnet that knows what to do with it. Exciting times!

I didn't go to the game last night, only listened on radio. However what I liked about the games of Pitt and Crozier was they didn't seem to waste too many possessions. In Pitts case he only had it 16 times, but they all seemed to spot up a teammate. Would much prefer this in a young player than 30 odd touches and a heap of turnovers (get along to Claremont oval on Monday for the Swift and byron show).

Plenty to work with in Pitt. Poise, balance, skills and smarts. His numbers will build with more endurance and time in the gym.
Crozier just looks a gem.

I didn't go to the game last night, only listened on radio. However what I liked about the games of Pitt and Crozier was they didn't seem to waste too many possessions. In Pitts case he only had it 16 times, but they all seemed to spot up a teammate. Would much prefer this in a young player than 30 odd touches and a heap of turnovers (get along to Claremont oval on Monday for the Swift and byron show).

Plenty to work with in Pitt. Poise, balance, skills and smarts. His numbers will build with more endurance and time in the gym.
Crozier just looks a gem.

Agree:thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sheridan moving nicely, Menagola too.
Perhaps I pulled the trigger too early with my comments above. Don't think the senior players today did much for their job security. Like to see Silvagni and Grover back in the backline.

Watching the WAFL. Great signs from our listed players.

Menegola - very impressive. Looks like we got a beauty there.
Sheridan - Has ability and moves well indeed. Knows how to find the pill.
Spurr - getting plenty of it.
Mora - As someone else noted - a different class to most of the other players out there. The sooner he is back in purple the better.
Chrichton - Plenty of possessions and good in traffic although disposal is not great.
Faulks - Dependable

Also keep your eye on Duffy. I thought Freo may have taken the punt on him as a rookie but was'nt to be unfortunatley.

Watching the WAFL. Great signs from our listed players.

Menegola - very impressive. Looks like we got a beauty there.
Sheridan - Has ability and moves well indeed. Knows how to find the pill.
Spurr - getting plenty of it.
Mora - As someone else noted - a different class to most of the other players out there. The sooner he is back in purple the better.
Chrichton - Plenty of possessions and good in traffic although disposal is not great.
Faulks - Dependable

Also keep your eye on Duffy. I thought Freo may have taken the punt on him as a rookie but was'nt to be unfortunatley.

been a great game. I completly agree with these comments. A few players are putting their hand up for AFL selection.

And Griff just kicked his second goal.

That's just wrong.

Also, if Crozier supposedly will be better than Hill according to you, how is Hayden's chase, tackle and defensive pressure looking?

Hill is a gun and will only get better, he's 21 years old and has worn the brunt of the opposition's best tagger for the last 2 years. He's about to roll right over the top of 'em..

Don't tell me that's wrong without giving an explanation. I watch all of our games multiple times and attend every home game. And that's my observation so don't dispute it without examples and reasoning. Check out his tackle count if you don't agree. How many times has Hill tackled someone and been awarded holding the ball? Hardly any.

Anyway this is not the thread for talking about Hill, my initial comment was that I like the look of Crozier.

Watched the game on ABC, Mora started well but tired throughout.
Menegola is a great size and uses the ball really well doesn't he? Like the look of him! He almost resembles another Mora!
Lee Spurr looked good, loved his kicking and put his head over the ball. Should be given a chance this year.
Jesse Chrichton looked just alright, got the ball a little bit but didn't use it well. Doesn't seem to tackle as well as he used to.
Griffin had another outstanding game against a pretty average ruck opposition.
Faulks looked good. marked and spoiled well for the most part.

Agreed with most of the comments above. Really happy to see Mora back and looking good, but the one for me was Menegola - he should be playing instead of Ibbo. He looked like a 10 x better version of Staker running off half back and delivering lace out to team mates. First time I have seen Sheridan and was impressed - I have also been impressed with Crozier when watching him play....could have been a handy draft for Freo.

Staker was one of those nowhere men - not quite a KPP, not quite a flanker.

Really liking the sound of Menagola. Will be tough between him and Spurr for the mid season rookie upgrade. Seems to be gaining confidence as well. I hope he takes advantage of his huge tank and becomes a real gut runner.

Remove this Banner Ad

Mega Thread Wafl 2012

Remove this Banner Ad

Back