Was Jobe booed?

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Umpires

Ye, I assumed the booing was the report/free kick, then Reimers getting the ball and kicking at goal. The only thing is that the booing went on for ****ing ages, which was pretty pathetic.

[youtube]Uq_ht1MErOo[/youtube]

"almost like a clash of heads wasn't it"

If he couldn't tell what chance do people at the ground have. Keep in mind the crowd gets a fleeting look before some ads for something or other go up on the screens
The same man you're quoting initially thought it was Smith and not Waters.

I know Waters is a tough bloke, but from that first replay you can tell it's not a head clash because one gets knocked out and the others head doesn't move.

I was at the game, and near the clash. The booing was definately for the free kick. And the replay on the screen looked liked nothing was in it.

West Coast fans are generally good at clapping players off - and we did it later when another bomber went down injured.

I was under the understanding that he was being booed whilst being carried off.
I was at the game and the booing started as soon as the replay came on the big screen because at first it appeared to be a clash of heads. Then it continued as the free kick was taken. At no time was Watson being booed off the ground.

I thought the crowd were booing the umps for the free kick being paid, not Watson. That would make more sense.

Correct and the crowd even clapped Crameri off with his shoulder in the last quarter. Indeed having been at games for the last decade I can't remember a player being booed unless they had done something malicious to one of our players earlier in the match or is extreme cases in previous matches, i.e. Barry Hall, Jeff Farmer.

James Hird and Kevin Sheedy will tell you the ovation they got from the eagles supporters in their last matches, nothing to do with jobe just people felt the free kick was not there and that the umpires/AFL were essentially trying to take the bump out of the game = mass frustration and booing.

I wouldn't sit there booing like a petulant child for starters, but that's me, I'd use common sense in that if I saw a clash, opposition player go down and his team mates come to remonstrate, common sense would say they weren't too happy with the hit. If the replay was inconclusive I wouldn't make up my own mind there was nothing in it, but again, that is me. I'm sure others in the crowd would do differently.

The sheep mentality that goes on in WC crowds is as funny as it is sad, seems none of them are able to think for themselves.

Player gets hit, can't see replay...BOOOOOOOOOOO BOOOOOOOOOOO
Seems to me you have a very short and selective memory. Before crapping on about Eagles supporters just cast your mind back a couple of years to the magnanimous and emotional send-off that was given to James Hird and Kevin Sheedy by the same mob of "sheep who are unable to think for themselves". And are you really trying to convince everyone on here that Essendon fans are above reproach and have never booed an opposition player or a bad umpiring decision. I think back to the old Windy hill days...sheesh.

Correct and the crowd even clapped Crameri off with his shoulder in the last quarter. Indeed having been at games for the last decade I can't remember a player being booed unless they had done something malicious to one of our players earlier in the match or is extreme cases in previous matches, i.e. Barry Hall, Jeff Farmer.

James Hird and Kevin Sheedy will tell you the ovation they got from the eagles supporters in their last matches, nothing to do with jobe just people felt the free kick was not there and that the umpires/AFL were essentially trying to take the bump out of the game = mass frustration and booing.

I was at the game, and like others have said, the booing was in no way directed at Jobe. It was 100% directed at the umpires after the decision was shown on the big screen. From where I was sitting you couldn't tell that there was any shoulder involved in the collision. Of course when I got home and saw the replay then I thought it looked a whole lot worse.

The Crameri injury happened right in front of where I sit, and all the people who booed the Waters/Watson replay were clapping him from the field.

Jobe seems a likeable bloke and I couldn't imagine supporters of any club booing him, especially after a head injury.

I'm a 13 year member in the same seats sice day one, and there's an older man who's been there since I've been there. I'm farly sure he's had those seats since we made the move to Subiaco. My block is in a fairly good location, and there's never any non-members sitting there, it's as far away from general admission as you can get. Crameri went down pretty close to our block, and this man was booing him and telling him to get up, calling him a sook etc.

There were at least four other members who turned around and told him to be quiet, and when he persisted we had security called on him to come and tell him to be respectful. Eagles fans categorically do not put up with these sort of incidents. The Crameri incident alone (along with the fact that the boo-ing 100% coincided with a melee, the replay of what looked like a head clash and an unwarranted report) makes me believe 100% that nobody (or at least nowhere near the majority as is being claimed) booed Watson off.

Yep, was at the game, thought the clach was a shoulder to shoulder and was pretty miffed that the umps called a free. The quick replay pretty much confirmed my initial take that it was a shoulder to shoulder and booing of umps continued. Honestly had no idea that Watson was being taken off the ground. Honestly, Subi is the worst place for replays... unless you're directly opposite the big screen, impossible to see much detail.

Was at the game also and jobe was definitely not booed. The decision to report/reimers shot on goal was booed as others have said.

Also, i was one of many clapping crameri off when he injured his shoulder.

Depends on who you ask.

Eagles fans say it was at the umpiring decision, which makes sense considering they were booing whilst being carried to a victory.

Dons fans say it was at Jobe, which makes sense considering we were filthy at the game in general.

We'll never really know. And anyway, some probably were booing Jobe, just as some were probably booing the decision.

So far atleast 3 West Coast supporters on Bigfooty have admitted that they booed Watson off or saw it happening.

This to me makes it pretty obvious that it happened. The ones denying it are simply trying to cover it up or didn't see it from where they were sitting and therefore believe it didn't happen.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dont even understand why they would boo watson.
Give %99 of them the benefit of the doubt.
Have shown alot of respect for the dons in the past.

So are you saying that because three bigfooty posters (who probably weren't even there) said they booed then the whole 39000 were booing?

I'm not saying that at all. I'm saying that Watson was booed off the ground by some West Coast supporters. I'm not saying 39,000 booed him off.

You guys are saying it didn't happen.

One West Cost supporter said he was positioned behind the interchange bench and witnessed fellow West Coast supporters booing Watson off and calling him a weak dog.

So far atleast 3 West Coast supporters on Bigfooty have admitted that they booed Watson off or saw it happening.

This to me makes it pretty obvious that it happened. The ones denying it are simply trying to cover it up or didn't see it from where they were sitting and therefore believe it didn't happen.
So that's 3 out of what, 38-thousand? I'll take that knobhead ratio among fellow Eagles supporters any day. The true ratio for every club is probably considerably higher.

People believe what they want to believe but I promise you the overwhelming sentiment would have been sympathy for one of the comp's more respected players.

How is it possible to tell whether the crowd was booing Jobe coming off or the umpire making the report/freekick etc when both events happened simultaneously?

Surely you just look at the situation and decide which is the more likely cause of the boos. It's obvious what the answer was.

Why bomber fans keep pushing the point on this is beyond me.

Does it really matter anymore?

The ferals still wave their scarves. They're allright by me.

If a group of their supporters booed for whatever reason when Watson came off, then so be it. It's hardly any worse than a cheer going up when Brent Stanton is subbed off.

A mountain out of a molehill, to be honest.

Have you seen it at normal speed and not just slo-mo? Sure slo-mo picks up the shoulder clip, but really? You want us, at least 50m, some fans up to 100m away, to see that with players packed inside 50 bunched around play while the ball is there? Even the commentators got it wrong, claiming that they collided heads. Please, for a minute, think about it without waving the big Essendon flag.

Just picture you're at the ground, there's a collision which you can't really see and Eagles players start a fight and pushing your players around. How would you react?

The only thing I will say is that players are very disciplined these days - They only go after a player if in their eyes an offence has been committed - read McPhee's hit on Gilbert.

Yep, was at the game, thought the clach was a shoulder to shoulder and was pretty miffed that the umps called a free. The quick replay pretty much confirmed my initial take that it was a shoulder to shoulder and booing of umps continued. Honestly had no idea that Watson was being taken off the ground. Honestly, Subi is the worst place for replays... unless you're directly opposite the big screen, impossible to see much detail.

Can we have some objectivity ?

How does a shoulder to shoulder clash result in Watson having a cut mouth.

So that's 3 out of what, 38-thousand? I'll take that knobhead ratio among fellow Eagles supporters any day. The true ratio for every club is probably considerably higher.

People believe what they want to believe but I promise you the overwhelming sentiment would have been sympathy for one of the comp's more respected players.

No, it's 3 people that have the balls to admit that they saw it happening. One guy said he was positioned behind the players interchange bench and he saw people booing Watson off and abusing him.

I agree that the majority of people would not have been booing and would have shown respect, even if it was absolutely ridiculous that they would have been booing such a blatant free kick.

The only thing I will say is that players are very disciplined these days - They only go after a player if in their eyes an offence has been committed - read McPhee's hit on Gilbert.
Disciplined maybe but sometimes their maths is not that good. They saw their captain down after a collision with the redoubtable Beau, put 2 and 2 together and came up with 5.

BTW, did anyone else here mistake the almighty cheer when Jobe's replacement ran onto the ground for Reimers shanking the resultant shot at goal?

No, it's 3 people that have the balls to admit that they saw it happening. One guy said he was positioned behind the players interchange bench and he saw people booing Watson off and abusing him.

Or maybe only 3 people saw it happening, because so few fans did it.

I agree that the majority of people would not have been booing and would have shown respect, even if it was absolutely ridiculous that they would have been booing such a blatant free kick.

It wasnt a blatant free kick.

Disciplined maybe but sometimes their maths is not that good. They saw their captain down after a collision with the redoubtable Beau, put 2 and 2 together and came up with 5.

BTW, did anyone else here mistake the almighty cheer when Jobe's replacement ran onto the ground for Reimers shanking the resultant shot at goal?

Think my point about Essendon players violently remonstrating after the Watson hit STANDS.

Remove this Banner Ad

Was Jobe booed?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back