was that the best last qrt in gf history

Remove this Banner Ad

Thanks For what it's worth I was supporting the Crows when Malcolm had them in the big one.

OK, if I have to support someone next week - so hard to say it - Saints.
why dont u like the saints?
I personally would like roo with all the crap he recieves to get his hands on the cup
as for the pies it was a nightmare watching them dominate yesterday i was drained from all the intensity.:):)

At least we were able to get a result.

I said during the week that we could simply not have a Saints vs Collingwood GF. The two teams would surely choke themselves to a draw. Hey, I was right.

It was a good last quarter pieced together by some individual brilliance but the rest of the game was pretty average. After their great start to the game, the pies looked flat during the second half and were lucky to get away with the draw.
you were hoping that roo would have got that last shot he kicked across the line didnt u??
come on u want the saints just a little more than the pies
:D:D

I'm loving the way now a Victorian team or two decides to play a contested brand it suddenly become entertaining. Ross Lyon helped engineer four of the best Grand Finals of the modern era in 2005, 2006, 2009 and now 2010. And Mick has mostly been doing it his whole career, too.

As a Swans fan, I take it as a minor victory to see that followers of other teams are finally coming around to realising just how entertaining a gladitorial contest can be (as opposed to the usual 40pt+ drubbings Grand Finals have mostly coughed up over the years). But what they're really doing is just re-discovering how the best game in the world has actually been played for 100 years. This is what inspires.

Collingwood and St Kilda have both dominated games dozens of times in the last 5 years. And they have both won games by ten goals or more on many occasions. But these sort of contests are the memorable ones :thumbsu:

Sure they produce epic last quarter battles, but as a flat out game, they are generally hidious spectacles of our great showpiece game. The drama and romance help make the last quarters memorable, but for any non swans fan, the 1st 3 quarters of the 05 gf are simply terrible to watch.

I know im showing my biast here, but the 1st 3 quarters of the 04 GF where as good a football match as you will see. The romance went out the door in the last quarter when unfortunately for football purists, the lions just simply run out of legs.

The only real consolation with the type of game these teams play, you know its probably gonna come down to the wire. We witnessed a game yesterday with nearly 200 tackles, an average of over 4 per player, an astounding figure.

Frantic, superhuman, ecstatic last quarter and easily, EASILY in the top echelon of examples of Australian football in modern history. Unbelievable stuff.

Can't wait for next week.

Don't change a thing.

Massive praise to both sides, just sensational.

:thumbsu:

In history its hard to say but damn that last 90 seconds was the most desperate I have seen players be in such a tight game ever.

1984, 1970, 1977, 1989 were the best as far as I'm concerned. Last year's was an epic battle too.

As for some of the Swans fans desperately trying to hijack this thread to try and put 2005 in the same class ... please, have some dignity.

That was probably the worst GF I've ever seen. There's more than a few reasons why Leo Barry's mark keeps getting brought up from that year - one of the main ones of which is that it was pretty much the only memorable moment from an absolutely tedious and boring game marked by constant skill errors and featuring ugly pack upon ugly pack.

1984, 1970, 1977, 1989 were the best as far as I'm concerned. Last year's was an epic battle too.

As for some of the Swans fans desperately trying to hijack this thread to try and put 2005 in the same class ... please, have some dignity.

That was probably the worst GF I've ever seen. There's more than a few reasons why Leo Barry's mark keeps getting brought up from that year - one of the main ones of which is that it was pretty much the only memorable moment from an absolutely tedious and boring game marked by constant skill errors and featuring ugly pack upon ugly pack.

Yesterdays was pretty average for skill level. Would the kicking efficiency been over 60% for either side? I enjoyed it, but the skill level was so bad it looked like west coast versus brisbane

Yesterdays was pretty average for skill level. Would the kicking efficiency been over 60% for either side? I enjoyed it, but the skill level was so bad it looked like west coast versus brisbane

Not sure what the stats say but yes, there were lots of mistakes yesterday. I still really enjoyed it too, though.

And it certainly never went close to degenerating to the standard of the 2005 GF. There was definitely no gold-plate clanger to match Luke Ablett's 'pass' to Ben Cousins in the goalsquare. And, while Collingwood's accuracy was terrible, they didn't have an individual yesterday who was anywhere near as frightened to have a shot for goal by the end of the game as O'Loughlin was in 2005.

The 'skill level' was like that because of the intense pressure.

Do you honestly think a team playing pretty & skillful football with lots of flashy play stood a chance against either of thoes teams in the gf?

You only have to look back at the pf of cats & pies to see how useful flashy play with no intense pressure is...

There was a different form of skil on display yesterday, and it was breathtaking....

My order of top GFs from the last decade:

10, 06, 09....

going further back the 1979 & 1977....89 was good, but only the last few minutes got really interesting

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

was that the best last qrt in gf history

Remove this Banner Ad

Back