Was the recruitment of Lance 'Buddy' Franklin, the undoing of the Swans?

Remove this Banner Ad

They have not won a Premiership since COLA was taken off them.
Them getting Tippett & Buddy back to back trade periods put attention on them & it's what got COLA taken off them.

They should have just let GWS take him, it pissed off the AFL in my opinion.
The AFL wanted Buddy at the Giants. Swans should have just said they don't have room for Lance even if they did.

One thing I know about the AFL is they hold grudges.

Yeah considering they’ve made that many grand finals I don’t think COLA’s absence is making any impact whatsoever

Franklin didn't want to play for the Giants. He wanted out of Melbourne, and wanted to move to Sydney because that would further his partner's career. What were the Swans going to do in that scenario, just let a rival club in the same city sign him to a contract without firing a shot?

Once Franklin made up his mind he wanted to leave Hawthorn and go to Sydney (the city), the Swans would have been derelict in their duty to their supporters and members to not explore the opportunity of signing him.

There's no Franklin curse. Fagan outcoached Longmire and the Brisbane players outplayed the Swans yesterday.
100% what you are saying is right but it's still what lost them COLA. nothing else. and it's good it's more fairer that it's gone anyway because they have Academy.

Yeah considering they’ve made that many grand finals I don’t think COLA’s absence is making any impact whatsoever
Maybe they would have got over the line though idk it's all guessing. I think something is wrong at the club to make GF's consistently than shit the bed.

Maybe they would have got over the line though idk it's all guessing. I think something is wrong at the club to make GF's consistently than shit the bed.

I don’t disagree but if losing COLA was having a significant effect they would disappear from the upper reaches of the ladder over big sample sizes of games.

These results are four matches spread over a decade, remember.

Their ladder finishes are 22-23 games a year totalling over 200 games.

That’s not a fluke.

He could have stayed with Hawthorn and been a 4 time premiership legend but nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

He got what he deserved for his traitorous ways (millions of dollars and no more premierships).
And Sydney also got what they deserved in their underhanded tactics recruiting him. Zero premierships forever more!
Had he stayed he would have still made similar money anyway, imo being one-club legend.
his deal by Hawks was way less years but Franklin's career at the Swans is proof he would have likely got extended again. he made a big mistake imo I bet he regrets it, you will never hear him say it though.

I love one-club players & loyalty. it's exactly why I want Martin to stay a one-club player, I hated how Mitchell, Lewis & Hodge finished their careers elsewhere.

Remove this Banner Ad

Was the recruitment of Lance 'Buddy' Franklin, the undoing of the Swans?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back