Was the Tyson Stenglein free kick the worst you have ever seen?

Remove this Banner Ad

The difference between Goodes buming the player on the mark and the Barry/Stenglein one is Goodes made the contact.

Forget where Barry was running, you cant give a free kick away for running at someone can you??? You only give the free kick away when you make contact, so Stenglein should not have moved off the mark to make contact. It is clear it was Stenglein that made the contact.

Yes he should/could have braced himself for the contact and then if knocked to the ground clearly that would have been a free kick.

Seems with all this talk people have brushed over the Afam Goodes lack of free kick at the other end. When he was tackled he surly did not have the ball, but it looked more like he was legged.

Well just hope the games today can give as much.

In my work tipping comp their are finals prizes. One game each week were the person who gets closet to the winning margin and selects the team right wins. i picked west coast by 5 points. I got closet. So i didnt really give a ******** who wins. Having watched it and enjoyed it for much of the night, what a game, the stupid little pricks, once again ruined a great game by pulling out frees that just werent there. Sydney were robbed big time. All these west coast supporters get a clue and stop being so biased you stupid people. You won , but didnt deserve to , so i would just be thankfully that you had the umps on your side.

Spiritof82 said:
Correct decision, maybe the one or two swans supporters that exist should have a look at the number of soft or biased free kicks their team gets, this one free against them doen't even get anywhere near evening up the ledger. Anyway I'm sure they'll get a number of frees next week (with the AFL's assistance) which will ensure they win, can't have the swans losing in Sh## City, will reduce the popularity of the game. :cool:

Presumably this devious plot was hatched on the grassy knoll of Sh** City, at around about the same time as Harold Holt was catching a wave with the chinese sub. Sport your beautiful mind is just wasted on this board.

Macca19 said:
It looked to me like Barry was originally going to run in front of Stenglien but changed his mind and veered to go behind him about 6-7 metres away from Stenglien.
There's no question that he was running straight at him. Veered 6 or 7 metres away? Closer to 4 or 5. Watch the replay. You'll see Stenglein brace before Barry veers.

Stenglien went and met him. Had Stenglien not moved, he wouldnt have been hit...and even so, if he HAD been hit like that it would have been Stengliens free anyway.
How was Stenglein to know that? You can't just stand there unprotected when someone's coming at you because "they will probably change course". Go through the events:

1. Barry runs directly at Stenglein full pace

What would a normal person do? Stand the mark or brace themselves for contact?

2. Stenglein braces himself and commits to contact

In a tough game like footy you have to commit. Once your committed it's hard to change what you're doing.

3. Barry veers

4. Stenglein takes one step side ways to meet Barry

I don't believe for a second that if Barry never ran straight at Stenglein that Stenglein would have blocked him. Barry basically interfered with the man on the mark by running too close to him. Forced him to take action.

I don't think Swans fans have much reason to complain.

Sure Stenglien probably thought "hes gonna ram into me" and hes well within his right to go and bump him....that doesnt mean he deserves a free kick for it. Its a poor and wrong decision.
Let's just make sure you understand my point:

I have said from the start that I don't have a problem with the free kick. Technically it's there but it's a bit soft. I don't think it's near as bad a decision as some people are making out. Most people refuse to acknowledge why Stenglein did what he did. Many seem to think Barry was innocently running past so Stenglein blocked him. Simply not the case.

People are talking like this is the first umpire decision to change a game. And if it was then I could understand people being upset. It was 50-50, it fell our way but there is a rule and the umpire followed it.

The truth of the matter is that if Barry didnt want to give away a free kick he shouldnt have been anywhere near Stenglien.

From the umpire's view of it, it no doubt looked like Barry had taken out Stenglein. For the rest of us, with the benefit of cameras high up in the stands and multiple replays, it was a wrong decision. Worst decision ever? No way.

What I can't work out is why, if that kick hadn't been given, it was completely impossible for the Swans to turn over the ball in the midfield or half-forward line and the Eagles kick a goal anyway. There was still, what, seven or eight minutes to go? To say that decision DEFINITELY cost the Swans the game is crap. Without that decision, we can never know what would have happened. Maybe Sydney would have gone forward, kicked a goal and gone on to win by 30 points. Maybe the guy taking the kick would have kicked it into the man on the mark, or out on the full, or anything.

The only time you can ever say a wrong decision 100% cost a team the game is when it's made right on the final siren. Otherwise there is no way of knowing what would have happened next.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

just in case anyone missed it:

008894ai.gif

exhibit A: protected area as per AFL rule book.

Sorry to all those whingers, but for Barry to go get into space he didn't need to run at Stenglein and veer. Perhaps if he held a direct line that was missing Stenglein by a metre or two all along there wouldn't have been a problem. Barry overstepped the lines of reasonability and got pinged. Doesn't have much cause for complaint.

Questionable? Maybe. Reason for outrage, rioting, and looting? Nope.

There is a rule on it, you cant interfere with the player on the mark, Its rarely played, but i guess it rarely occurs when someone runs straight into ya from 50m away, Barry was nowhere near the ball or any Eagles player and the umpire saw it as unnecessary, If Sydney want someone to blame they should blame those 6 shots straight infront of goal they missed.

If you flood you rely on umps decisions, they got the bad luck last night, Not Eagles fault though.

Embers said:
There is a rule on it, you cant interfere with the player on the mark, Its rarely played, but i guess it rarely occurs when someone runs straight into ya from 50m away, Barry was nowhere near the ball or any Eagles player and the umpire saw it as unnecessary, If Sydney want someone to blame they should blame those 6 shots straight infront of goal they missed.

If you flood you rely on umps decisions, they got the bad luck last night, Not Eagles fault though.

WC suporters would have torn the placedown if that was paid against one of their players

bunsen burner said:
just in case anyone missed it:

008894ai.gif

exhibit A: protected area as per AFL rule book.

Sorry to all those whingers, but for Barry to go get into space he didn't need to run at Stenglein and veer. Perhaps if he held a direct line that was missing Stenglein by a metre or two all along there wouldn't have been a problem. Barry overstepped the lines of reasonability and got pinged. Doesn't have much cause for complaint.

Questionable? Maybe. Reason for outrage, rioting, and looting? Nope.

Using that... How about the Eagles player crashing into the back of a Swans player going back to take his kick. Details are vague, but I recall it.

So let me get this straight. A man tries to run to create an option, the man on the mark comes to greet him by moving into his line, and the man on the mark gets the free kick?

Would the umpires prefer the players wear bibs and skirts?

theorangeapple said:
People are talking like this is the first umpire decision to change a game. And if it was then I could understand people being upset. It was 50-50, it fell our way but there is a rule and the umpire followed it.

The truth of the matter is that if Barry didnt want to give away a free kick he shouldnt have been anywhere near Stenglien.

It was vastly less than 50-50. And the umpire did NOT follow the rule as they are told to police it. That is fact, from the horse's mouth. In such a situation they are told to stop play and clear the area before the player takes his kick.
Under your astounding logic, players should have a protective zone around them and anyone who goes in there can be pinged.
Barry had every right to run past. Stenglein definitely moved towards him to make contact. I don't think even Stenglein would have hoped for a free kick, he would just have been trying to block Barry from running into the space behind the mark. Getting a free kick was a bonus, to say the least.
Take off the blinkers and just admit it was an error.
If that had gone the other way, the place would have gone nuts. Heck, everyone booed when a Swan knocked it out of bounds from 1m inside the line in the last quarter.

The free kick was definately debatable but it was there. There was no need for Barry to run straight at him like that and i believe even if Stenglein didn't move Barry would have made some contact.

On the Goodes decision i thought Wirraounda stopped tackling as his tackle spilled and more fell into his legs to cause the trip.

But I was barracking for West Coast and hate Sydney so maybe I'm being abit bias.

Answer to the Question

Yes

Certainly for 2005 anyway. No other candidate for the year. I am sure there has been a worse free kick, but not in the same context as this was. This was a final, decided by less than a goal. Easily the worst decision I have ever seen.

Remove this Banner Ad

Was the Tyson Stenglein free kick the worst you have ever seen?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back