Watts nominates for draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Just heard on SEN, Watts ran a 8.03s for the agility test. A mid 7.9 has been good enough to win it in previous years, so that's pretty impressive as well.

Stephen Hill broke the record (Pearce ran 7.79s in 2004), but not sure exactly what it was.

Are these results posted on the net somewhere?

Just heard him speak on SEN and have to say i am really impressed. Did not sound like a 17 year old kid at all. Confident, no ummms or ahhhs at all. That 20m sprint is really impressive, within .03 seconds of the record is unbelievable.

Interesting to note that Naitanui was expected to smash Croad's vertical leap mark of around 80cm, but ended up getting only mid 70s. Watts had a 70 flat.

His beep test is probably not going to be unbelievable, mid 13s maybe, but i dont think this is what we would really be concerned about. Agility and speed for a bloke at 6'3" or so is very good.

I have continued to go back and forth, but my vote is certainly for Watts now. Then go best available at 17 and 19. Personally i think if you miss on Vickery and Naitanui, there is no real point in taking a marginal ruck option at 17 and 19. Ideally i'd like Cornelius and Blease, but just go the best kids available.

How good is 2.82?

What did Franklin/Davey/Judd get? around that or faster?

By round one next year do you think Watts will have 5 to 10kg on him?

Based on what i've heard, he is a very confident and somewhat charismatic kid. With charisma, he could do more for the football team when it comes to being a marquee player (granted if he every becomes one) for marketing.

We haven't had a true marquee player (no offense Neitz) for a long time. I'm sold.

How good is 2.82?

He still has year 12 to do, so might not spend as much time at the club over the next 12 months as we're all wishing

How good is 2.82?

No idea what Franklin ran. Judd only went to SS because of an injury, Davey didn't go to draft camp, so i've got no idea.

Hopefully someone can get hold of all the draft camp results, because they measure height, weight and all that stuff as well. I reckon Watts could've put on as much as 5kg on top of his 85kg, because that was measured prior to May before the u18 champs started, so he could've put a fair bit of weight on and even grown a bit in the last 5-6 months

interesting.

Anyone got any info on the previous Lark Medalists winners? Who are they?

These are the last few winners, club, selection in the draft and comment.

2003 - Kepler Bradley (Freo via Ess) - Pick 6 - Spud
2004 - Jesse Smith (North) - F/S pick - Gun, but injury prone
2005 - Marc Murphy (Carl) - Pick 1 - Gun
2006 - Tom Hawkins (Geel) - F/S pick - Looks alright
2007 - Cale Morton (Melb) - Pick 4 - Gun
2008 - Jack Watts (Melb) - Pick 1 - Massive Gun

interesting.

Anyone got any info on the previous Lark Medalists winners? Who are they?
It's been going since 2003, the winners have been:

2003- Kepler Bradley :eek:
2004- Jesse Smith
2005- Marc Murphy
2006- Tom Hawkins
2007- Cale Morton:thumbsu:
2008- Jack Watts

There is also the Hunter-Harrison medal for Div2 of the championships (QLD, NT, NSW, TAS)

2004- Richard Tambling
2005- Grant Birchall
2006- Ricky Petterd:thumbsu:
2007- Craig Bird
2008- Mitch Robinson

These are the last few winners, club, selection in the draft and comment.

2003 - Kepler Bradley (Freo via Ess) - Pick 6 - Spud *******
2004 - Jesse Smith (North) - F/S pick - Gun, but injury prone
2005 - Marc Murphy (Carl) - Pick 1 - Gun
2006 - Tom Hawkins (Geel) - F/S pick - Looks alright
2007 - Cale Morton (Melb) - Pick 4 - Gun
2008 - Jack Watts (Melb) - Pick 1 - Massive Gun

So the Larke Medal hasnt proved much from this, i guess it's prommising for us to have two of the winners.

Will Watts get a run next year? Is he that dedicated for school or was that just a throw up to insure he stays in melb... Will he def play in pre-season?

So the Larke Medal hasnt proved much from this, i guess it's prommising for us to have two of the winners.

Will Watts get a run next year? Is he that dedicated for school or was that just a throw up to insure he stays in melb... Will he def play in pre-season?

he'll play maybe one or two games, it all depends on how the season aligns with his exams and holidays.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

to put Watts 2.82 in perspective

alwyn daveys' record at essendon was 2.75 but was beaten this year by Jarrod Atkinson (2.73) and word is that judds time when he was recruited was 2.90

Watts is going to Melbourne no doubts about that. Looks like a star and you should be able to build a gun midfield around him.

to put Watts 2.82 in perspective

alwyn daveys' record at essendon was 2.75 but was beaten this year by Jarrod Atkinson (2.73) and word is that judds time when he was recruited was 2.90
Bit more perspective!
From the 2006 draft Ben Reid ran 2.93, Nathan Brown 2.91, Travis Boak 2.96, Leroy Jetta 2.97, James Frawley 2.98, Matthew Luenberger 3.02 and Lachy Hansen 3.03

Bit more perspective!
From the 2006 draft Ben Reid ran 2.93, Nathan Brown 2.91, Travis Boak 2.96, Leroy Jetta 2.97, James Frawley 2.98, Matthew Luenberger 3.02 and Lachy Hansen 3.03

The highlighted ones are the best comparisons because they're recent KP players, Reid is meant to be unstopable on a lead because of his pace, Brown & Hansen are probably the 2 best young defenders in the comp.

As a defender you have to react 2nd, so if Watts can be quicker then them he'll be hard to spoil if the ball is delivered correctly.

The highlighted ones are the best comparisons because they're recent KP players, Reid is meant to be unstopable on a lead because of his pace, Brown & Hansen are probably the 2 best young defenders in the comp.

As a defender you have to react 2nd, so if Watts can be quicker then them he'll be hard to spoil if the ball is delivered correctly.[/quote]

That's the bit that worries me!

he'll play maybe one or two games, it all depends on how the season aligns with his exams and holidays.

He'll play as many games as he wants as long as his form is good, The only thing school will effect is his training.

Maric and Ward(bulldogs) were doing year 12 and both played this year and the only reason they didn't play more is because of their form.

Im all for Watts, we need a key foward and even though he wont be that strong to start his career, at least he will have some pace to beat defenders on the lead up the ground and leading back towards the goal square.

Has had any injuries or surgery on anything through out his under 18 career? I couldnt stand for us to take a guy with so much going for him and be cut down by injury.

I also hope Bailey doesnt just throw him in the deep end if he isnt ready. If he doesnt play a game next year i couldnt care, aslong as he is there for the long term.

When we draft him i will be changing my user name too :"WattsutalkinboutWillis" hope it fits!!:D

Remove this Banner Ad

Watts nominates for draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Back