Wayne Carey and Corey Mckernan or Lance Franklin and Jarryd Roughead?

Who is the better pair?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

If I were a betting man, I'd say Buddy is likely to finish his career at somewhere around the 750-800 goal mark.

He's a man that relies heavily on his athletic ability; I think some might WAY over estimate how many 'elite' years he has left. Let's say he stays at his current rate of performance until 30, and averages ~20 games a year.

That'll get him to ~800 goals.

For most of his career he's been playing for a very good side, I think it's clear the Hawks are aiming at ~a two year window at the moment.

So a player that relies on athletic prowess, not a great contested mark, yet to play for a long term poor side, yet to suffer from serious injury...... and he's gonna just keep ticking over?

I'd be absolutely stunned if he topped 800 (and 800 goals by the way is nothing to sneeze at).

The poll however, I think I'd have to go the Hawk duo.

Carey is far and away the best player of the four, but McKernan is not as good as Roughead (IMO); and Franklin is knocking on the door of a 'great' forward.

Good post. :thumbsu:

Franklin had that hamstring injury this year, but prior to that he has hardly been injured. Infact he is a pretty durable player. For memory the games he has missed the past three years has been either threw suspension or him being rested. If he stays healthy he should play till he is 30. I don't think he will ever match Carey performances, but I'm happy with what Buddy has done so far in his career. IMO his inacurate kicking has stopped him from taking his career to another Level. He could have achieved so much more.

Carey
Buddy

Roughead

McKernan

I voted the Hawks pair.
You realise McKernan won the Leigh Matthews trophy in 96, the same year he would have won the brown low but was intelligible? His best was way better than Roughies best. Debatable whether his best is better than buddy's as well. Even though buddy is having a better career.

If I were a betting man, I'd say Buddy is likely to finish his career at somewhere around the 750-800 goal mark.

He's a man that relies heavily on his athletic ability; I think some might WAY over estimate how many 'elite' years he has left. Let's say he stays at his current rate of performance until 30, and averages ~20 games a year.

That'll get him to ~800 goals.

For most of his career he's been playing for a very good side, I think it's clear the Hawks are aiming at ~a two year window at the moment.

So a player that relies on athletic prowess, not a great contested mark, yet to play for a long term poor side, yet to suffer from serious injury...... and he's gonna just keep ticking over?

I'd be absolutely stunned if he topped 800 (and 800 goals by the way is nothing to sneeze at).

The poll however, I think I'd have to go the Hawk duo.

Carey is far and away the best player of the four, but McKernan is not as good as Roughead (IMO); and Franklin is knocking on the door of a 'great' forward.
I would think Buddy would play into his 30's and i see no reason why Buddy cant reach 900

As for always playing for a good team.......do you rate Fevola more than Buddy because he mostly played for a crap team ?

I would think Buddy would play into his 30's and i see no reason why Buddy cant reach 900

As for always playing for a good team.......do you rate Fevola more than Buddy because he mostly played for a crap team ?

Good question; might be worth a poll nowadays actually. Let me think on it.

Carey is the best player I've seen, but Franklin still has a few seasons before he'll decline, so who knows where the ceiling is.

Voting in this, for me, is pointless, until all 4 players have hung up the boots.

You realise McKernan won the Leigh Matthews trophy in 96, the same year he would have won the brown low but was intelligible? His best was way better than Roughies best. Debatable whether his best is better than buddy's as well. Even though buddy is having a better career.
So what? 5 great seasons is far better than 1 great season

Frankly i'd take Wayne Carey and an inanimate carbon rod over Buddy and Roughead
Easy choice, Carey dragged his team to premierships.
What a pile of shit! I rate Carey as highly as anyone that has played the game but both had 1 flag at the same age and Carey finished with 2.
Franklin was one of the best players on the ground in last years GF. Where as in 98 Carey kicked 1.4 and didn't have his best game.

Maybe wait until Franklins career is over before spouting off absolute BS.

What a pile of shit! I rate Carey as highly as anyone that has played the game but both had 1 flag at the same age and Carey finished with 2.
Franklin was one of the best players on the ground in last years GF. Where as in 98 Carey kicked 1.4 and didn't have his best game.

7 prelims in a row against teams built before equalisation really kicked in?

Carey still has plenty in hand

(Log in to remove this ad.)

While his overall numbers for the game were very good, he had 2 or 3 relatively simple chances to maybe get the Hawks over the line. He didn't so it greatly diminishes his game for mine.

Youve gotta remember Mckernan was the number 1 ruck for the Roos. Capuano backed him up.
They had Scholl and Longmire up forward.

The beauty of Carey was he didnt need to kick goals to dominate a game. Hecould kick 2 and dominate the contest, whilst Scholl Longmire McKernan Roberts Crocker Allison etc could all bob up with a few more to win a game.
This isnt the case for Hawthorn hence why Budwiser and Rough will probably end with more goals as a pair.

If goals are the best just of a forward pair then Matty Lloyd and Scott Lucas are better then both of them.

Fairer comparison would be to replace McKernan with Longmire as Corey was never really a true forward. Makes the decision of Duck and Horse even easier.

Good point. I dare say if horse was playing these days he wuld play that second ruck type role Roughead does.

They could get away with him and McKernan, not worry about Capuano. And still have Duck and Scholl up front.

Remove this Banner Ad

Wayne Carey and Corey Mckernan or Lance Franklin and Jarryd Roughead?

Back