Wayne Carey and Corey Mckernan or Lance Franklin and Jarryd Roughead?

Who is the better pair?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Your teams colours are the colours of Human waste, I'd rather wear the blue and white instead of Piss and Shit.
LOL go home, you cant even compare Franklin to the King nor Roughhead to Mckernan. It's not even debatable.

You bump an old thread to bag team colours and tell a poster on an internet forum to go home?? If you're going to bump, at least add something to the argument.

FWIW, I've already responded in this thread, picking Carey and McKernan 'at their best' - based on McKernan's '96.

On career as a duo, I suspect it will be very close. Carey is the best player I have seen and as good as Franklin is, I don't think he could ever overtake Carey. Roughead could well overtake McKernan though (who had many OK/so-so years). If Roughead is good enough to open a bigger gap (from McKernan) than Carey has from Franklin, then I will rate that duo more highly, particularly as the North duo only spent 9 seasons together - the same as Franklin and Rough now (who still have 5+ seasons ahead).

133 votes vs 17.

To be honest when starting this thread, I didn't think at any point there was going to be a 116 vote difference between the 2 pairs.

Saying 'at the peak of their powers' really turned the tide of the poll I reckon as McKernan was the best player in the league (even ahead of Carey) for 1 season. Had you simply asked, who is the better duo or who would be at the end of their careers, I suspect the outcome would not be so one sided. I know my vote would be different.

Saying 'at the peak of their powers' really turned the tide of the poll I reckon as McKernan was the best player in the league (even ahead of Carey) for 1 season. Had you simply asked, who is the better duo or who would be at the end of their careers, I suspect the outcome would not be so one sided. I know my vote would be different.
I think it's a bit of a misnomer about McKernan's one season, to be honest. He had some great games after '96 and it was really because of injuries that he didn't have other '96's. In fact it really wasn't until the early 2000's that he fell away and then he went to Carlton and won their B&F. Off topic but it was the right thing that he finished his career at North. He's a North man.

Some good reading on this thread. I think that it would have been better to have Longmire/Carey in place of McKernan. Longmire was at FF for many years with Carey on CHF.

Poll should have included other combo's. Such as J.Brown/A.Lynch or D.Bradshaw. I think these are the 3 best of the last 20 yrs.

true but he would also get pinged for 50 frees a game for in the back

and receive 75 frees (by your scale) at the same time.
i can't stand him, but if the second best centre half forward I've seen was even close to him, then Gary Ablett Jnr can't find the footy.
It wasn't all about the stats, btw
this was a guy who had a true feel 4 the game & not only brought his team mates into the game, but he also made them stand taller.
the uncredited body work, blocking, shepherds, dummy leads & sacrificial acts he did were unparalleled in such a matchwinner
suffice 2 say. we disagree

and receive 75 frees (by your scale) at the same time.
i can't stand him, but if the second best centre half forward I've seen was even close to him, then Gary Ablett Jnr can't find the footy.
It wasn't all about the stats, btw
this was a guy who had a true feel 4 the game & not only brought his team mates into the game, but he also made them stand taller.
the uncredited body work, blocking, shepherds, dummy leads & sacrificial acts he did were unparalleled in such a matchwinner
suffice 2 say. we disagree

2nd best????

He's better than that

He's also the same height as pavlich, and more athletic.

Carey was a rich mans pav, and pav is not too small for modern footy

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's irrelevant, rucks of 50 years ago wouldn't get a game now (too short and light). Doesn't make them any less dominant than they were.

It makes me smile seeing the height of dominant ruckmen in the past, like Polly Farmer who from memory would have been 188cm or less.

People forgetting Carey's skill by foot and hand. His judgement and kicking to space to allow the likes of Bell, Grant, Harvey etc to run onto it with the Paddock was simply awesome. Would dominate any era.

Carey was amazing and probably the best CHF of all time provided the assessment has the qualification of "in his time".

The reality is the AFL of 2013 is a professional sport whilst even a coke sniffing drunk could play AFL standards back in those days.

Looking at the stats (which do not give the complete picture) but they do provide some colour:

Franklin V Carey
175 games 272
15.1 disposals 16.5
3.2 goals 2.7
2.6 tackles 1.2

I would prefer to reward Franklin because he is performing in the highest standard of competition the league has ever seen. I doubt Carey would have the discipline to compete in today's era.

That said may be with the better support systems, around the footy these days, Carey could have managed his health issues a little better and could cope. History however says he couldn't.

Carey was amazing and probably the best CHF of all time provided the assessment has the qualification of "in his time".

The reality is the AFL of 2013 is a professional sport whilst even a coke sniffing drunk could play AFL standards back in those days.

Looking at the stats (which do not give the complete picture) but they do provide some colour:

Franklin V Carey
175 games 272
15.1 disposals 16.5
3.2 goals 2.7
2.6 tackles 1.2

I would prefer to reward Franklin because he is performing in the highest standard of competition the league has ever seen. I doubt Carey would have the discipline to compete in today's era.

That said may be with the better support systems, around the footy these days, Carey could have managed his health issues a little better and could cope. History however says he couldn't.

Look you're just wrong.

There is no basis, evidence or real comparison that supports your theory

There is nothing to suggest physically or athletically he wouldn't dominate

Dominate

Look you're just wrong.

There is no basis, evidence or real comparison that supports your theory

There is nothing to suggest physically or athletically he wouldn't dominate

Dominate

fair enough

I just find the drug issues, criminal issues and the team issues demonstrates mental fragility. I am not sure he could cope with the pressure, the discipline and the regimes required in today's footy.

Franklin V Carey
175 games 272
15.1 disposals 16.5
3.2 goals 2.7
2.6 tackles 1.2

Those were stats in a game where 270 per team was about the bench mark not nearly 400 today

Those were stats in a game where 270 per team was about the bench mark not nearly 400 today

true but there have been some high profile quality players over looked in the draft due to drug, alcohol and behavioural issues.

I would want him in my side no matter how naturally gifted he was.

Remove this Banner Ad

Wayne Carey and Corey Mckernan or Lance Franklin and Jarryd Roughead?

Back