Competitions WCE Board 2022 Mock Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Draft Order and Selections

ROUND 1 :

1. Brisbane - Will Ashcroft (F/S bid matched)
2. GWS - Aaron Cadman
3. North Melbourne - George Wardlaw
4. North Melbourne - Harry Sheezel
5. Essendon - Elijah Tsatas
6. Gold Coast - Oliver Hollands
7. Hawthorn - Jhye Clark
8. Geelong - Jedd Busslinger
9. West Coast - Mattaes Phillipou
10. St Kilda - Cam Mackenzie
11. Carlton - Bailey Humphrey
12. Western Bulldogs - Reuben Ginbey
13. West Coast - Elijah Hewett
14. Melbourne - Matt Jefferson
15. Sydney - Isaac Keeler
16. GWS - Olli Hotton
17. Collingwood - Harry Barnett
18. Brisbane - Jaspa Fletcher (F/S bid matched)
19. Sydney - Brayden George
20. GWS - Henry Hustwaite

ROUND 2 :

21. GWS - Lewis Hayes
22. Essendon - Alwyn Davey Jnr (F/S bid matched)
23. West Coast - Darcy Jones
24. Essendon Match Davey bid
24. Western Bulldogs - Josh Weddle
25. Adelaide - Jakob Ryan
26. Hawthorn - Coby Burgiel
27. Collingwood - Lachie Cowan
28. West Coast - Ed Allan
29. Collingwood - Charlie Clarke
30. St Kilda - Jacob Konstanty
31. Carlton - Nick Sadler
32. Fremantle - Mitch Szybkowski
33. North Melbourne (traded from GWS) - Max Gruzewski
34. Adelaide - Max Michalanney (F/S bid matched)
35. St Kilda - Sam Gilbey
36. Port Adelaide - James Van Es
34. Brisbane Match Ashcroft bid
35. Brisbane Match Ashcroft bid
36. Brisbane Match Ashcroft bid
37. Melbourne - Jackson Broadbent
38. Brisbane Match Ashcroft bid

ROUND 3 :

38. Western Bulldogs - Anthony Munkara
39. GWS (traded from North Melbourne) - Taj Campbell-Farell
40. Hawthorn - Jaxon Binns
41. Sydney - Adam D'Aliola
42. North Melbourne - Kaleb Smith
43. Fremantle - Harry Lemmey
44. Gold Coast - Tom McCallum
44. Adelaide Match Michalanney bid
45. St Kilda - Kobe Ryan
46. Hawthorn - Phoenix Foster
47. Carlton - Harry Rowston
48. Hawthorn - Blake Durry
49. Collingwood - Jaidon Magor
50. Hawthorn - Finn Emile-Brennan
51. Richmond - Corey Tregenza-Cashell
52. Essendon - Tom Scully
55. Brisbane Match Ashcroft bid
56. Brisbane Match Ashcroft bid
53. GWS - Jed Hagan
54. Geelong - William Dowling

ROUND 4 :

55. North Melbourne - Pass
56. Port Adelaide - Max Knobel
57. GWS - Pass
58. Essendon - Jack Cleaver
59. Essendon (Points surplus from matched Davey bid) - Ethan Phillips
60. Richmond - Will Verall
61. Geelong
62. Hawthorn - Pass
63. Carlton
64. Fremantle

END DRAFT

Last edited:
I knew Miguel would take the Poo

This has left an obvious choice.

With pick 10 the St Kilda football club select Cam Mackenzie

I’m happy that St Kildas academy player Mackenzie is available at pick 10.

A balanced midfielder who can find his own ball on the inside as well as provide run and spread to deliver the ball with precision. A good decision maker with elite kicking skills. He averaged 26 disposals (10 contested) across the national champs for Vic Metro and had a 26 disposal, 6 clearances, 6 tackle and 2 goal effort in a winning Sandringham Dragons team in the nab league grand final.

A consistent and skilful midfielder who will add much needed class to the St Kilda midfield.

bh90210fan your up next

Last edited:
Pick 11. Bailey Humphrey

Best available in my view, snapshot courtesy of Rookie Me Central

SNAPSHOT: “A tough and powerful midfielder-forward who thrives on the contest and deals immense damage to the opposition.”

One of the big bolters in this year’s draft class, Bailey Humphrey has made every post a winner in 2022. The Gippsland Power captain got a handful of NAB League games under his belt last year, but missed out on the initial Vic Country hub and took it in his stride to prove himself more than capable as a top-ager.

A strongly built ball winner who doubles as a damaging forward, Humphrey’s season was interrupted by an untimely knee injury which saw him miss much of the Under 18 National Championships, but he rocketed into top 10 contention upon his emphatic return.

Humphrey’s 31 disposals and 4.5 against the Northern Knights in Round 14 made recruiters take note of the game-breaking ability he offers, and after leading the Power to both a minor premiership and preliminary final, the 18-year-old eventually got to don the ‘Big V’ in Vic Country’s final championship match.

Carbine Chaos you’re up

Eagles take Philippou. Write up to come after the torrent of abuse for not picking the right guy.

Saints are up Hook461123

Edit: actually writeup to come after pick 13.
Happy to get him but would hope we can get him at #13.

Migs, what put you off Mackenzie instead of this bloke?

After much consideration, the Western Bulldogs will take Reuben Ginbey.

6d4d8dfbc177a64be33ef505e278e7c4ce610a90-16x9-x0y150w2096h1179.jpg

Absolutely dominated the combine and has really shot up the rankings since moving to the midfield. Huge potential, but could make an impact early in the Dogs' push for a flag, especially with Dunkley gone.

Height: 189cm
Weight: 85kg
D.O.B: 10-09-2004
Leagues: WAFL League

SNAPSHOT: “A versatile prospect who can fill roles in midfield and defence, Ginbey firms as a potential first-rounder after an excellent season which saw him claim state MVP honours”.

A name that may not have been on many draft boards at the start of the season, Reuben Ginbey has put together a superb campaign, stepping up at every level he has played to leapfrog many of his state colleagues and emerge as one of Western Australia’s best prospects for the 2022 draft.

Hailing from Dunsborough in the state’s south-west region, Ginbey has juggled his time this year between captaining Wesley College at PSA level and playing League football at East Perth, having been an regular selection at senior level for the Royals whenever he was available throughout the year.
Having played most of the year as a defender prior to the the state championships, Ginbey was thrown into the midfield to add some impetus for the Black Ducks and took his game to a new level, winning Western Australia’s MVP for the carnival after averaging over 21 disposals and locking horns with some of the best midfielders in the country.

Miguel Sanchez is up with the Eagles, no pressure!

Rational and Profiles

I'll disclaimer for all draftees this year, that I've not seen any of these guys play live. I have scoured to find a much video footage I can. Pestered the people that have with questions, made my own amateur (ish) notes. I do like to think I have a pretty decent eye and look back through the years, I think I've done pretty well to date in the phantom/mocks.

I've been in camp Wardlaw for a very long time. I wanted the Eagles to draft him before we split our pick and even though this is just a mock draft, it made me twitch a bit when I got to select him for the Kangaroos.

I strongly believe if he stays fit, he'll be better that JHF and the Kangas may have really made it a two for one Sunday special with Wardlaw and Sheezel,

Profiles from various experts below;

The midfielder has an innate ability to find the ball and offers such a balanced array of traits in midfield. He can hold his own on the inside and spreads wonderfully well to put up numbers reminiscent of the likes of Sam Walsh, Matt Rowell, and Nick Daicos before him. His standards and consistency are remarkably high.

George Wardlaw​

oakleigh.jpg
OAKLEIGH CHARGERS| MIDFIELDER
Height:182cm
Weight:81kg
D.O.B:18-07-2004
THE ULTIMATE COMPETITOR
Tough, relentless, uncompromising. George Wardlaw is our number one in June and for good reason. The Oakleigh Chargers midfielder has a knack for standing up on the big stage and did so in May’s AFL Academy showcase, taking home the MCC President’s Medal as best afield. What makes him the ultimate team player is his attack on the ball, work rate, and two-way effort, but Wardlaw has added some serious weapons to his well-rounded game in 2022. Having cut his teeth as an inside type, the 17-year-old’s explosive athleticism makes him hard to stop among his peers, and he has developed a wickedly penetrative kick to go with clean overhead marking. Those traits combined, he can hurt the opposition while endeavouring to help others shine.

A hamstring injury unfortunately saw Wardlaw miss Vic Metro's three-game run at the national carnival, but he remains a contender for the No.1 pick. His best performances this season have come in the big games – he was best-afield for Oakleigh against Sandringham in round one of the NAB League, where he has averaged 21 disposals this season, and also judged the leading player for the NAB AFL Academy against Collingwood's VFL side. Wardlaw is powerful, competitive and tough through the midfield, has some spring in his step, can go forward and kick an important goal, and lifts when his team needs him.

Some videos

dinnaz - Thanks mate

This one was a no brainer for me - After bringing in the power of Wardlaw it only seem natural to have a load of silk to compliment.
This kid is all class, even if he is a Mummies boy!

SANDRINGHAM DRAGONS MEDIUM FORWARD

220px-Sandringham_Dragons_FC_logo.png

Harry Sheezel​

Height: 184cm
Weight: 77kg
D.O.B: 13-10-2004
Leagues: NAB League Boys

STRENGTHS:
  • Footy IQ
  • Forward Craft
  • Goal Sense
  • Kicking
  • Overhead marking

IMPROVEMENTS:
  • Limited midfield exposure
  • Speed

With a bottom-age campaign good enough to earn AFL Academy Selection, Sheezel has done everything he possibly could have to continue to elevate himself in draft rankings throughout 2022. His consistent base of performances across multiple levels of Under 18s football makes him as a ‘low floor’ option come November’s draft. Without commitments to weekend school footy, Sheezel was a near-permanent fixture for the NAB League premiers Sandringham Dragons across the season, making 14 appearances and being held goalless in only one of them. Sheezel managed 36 goals for the Dragons for the year, with a haul of six in Round 4 and four straight in the Grand Final particular highlights. Sheezel still managed five games with four or more goals, highlighting an incredible level of consistency.

It wasn’t exclusive to goal kicking either, with Sheezel only being held under double-digit disposal figures once. His ability to be involved up the ground as a marking target and ball winner were invaluable for his side. Marking has been a somewhat understated aspect of Sheezel’s game. Not being the most athletically gifted talent, Sheezel still managed to find ways to out-mark taller and stronger opponents, as well as lean on his natural forward craft to make smart leads into space.

With that marking strength in tow, Sheezel was dangerous whenever he had the ball inside 50, kicking more than his fair share of highlight reel worthy goals throughout the year. It didn’t matter where Sheezel won the footy, he was always in with a good chance to convert. His cleanliness below his knees and read of the ball at ground level, even under pressure, were real assets in his game, consistently able to beat opposition with his follow up work on the occasion they spoiled a marking attempt.

While the goals are certainly a big part of Sheezel’s game, his ball use in the front half of the ground is simply superb, and makes for a dangerous combination with his decision making, generally looking to hit teammates up in a better position when the opposition is presented, able to use both sides of his body to great effect.

There are very little concerns or risks associated with a prospect like Sheezel. With a well developed game that highlights his strength there’s little doubt he will be able to impact at the next level, however with AFL players increasingly getting more athletic, Sheezel will have to find ways to impact against that type of opposition which he has at times struggled with this year, occasionally being troubled when met by lockdown focused or faster opposition.
While Sheezel has played a pinch hit role through the midfield this year, limited on-ball opportunities may be a reason he doesn’t go in the top few selections on draft night, however returns of 37 and 33 disposals in games he was predominantly a midfielder, and an already elite endurance base, are certainly promising glimpses at what he may be capable of in that regard.

A few vids

Rational and Profiles

I'll disclaimer for all draftees this year, that I've not seen any of these guys play live. I have scoured to find a much video footage I can. Pestered the people that have with questions, made my own amateur (ish) notes. I do like to think I have a pretty decent eye and look back through the years, I think I've done pretty well to date in the phantom/mocks.

I've been in camp Wardlaw for a very long time. I wanted the Eagles to draft him before we split our pick and even though this is just a mock draft, it made me twitch a bit when I got to select him for the Kangaroos.

I strongly believe if he stays fit, he'll be better that JHF and the Kangas may have really made it a two for one Sunday special with Wardlaw and Sheezel,

Profiles from various experts below;

The midfielder has an innate ability to find the ball and offers such a balanced array of traits in midfield. He can hold his own on the inside and spreads wonderfully well to put up numbers reminiscent of the likes of Sam Walsh, Matt Rowell, and Nick Daicos before him. His standards and consistency are remarkably high.

George Wardlaw​

oakleigh.jpg
OAKLEIGH CHARGERS| MIDFIELDER
Height:182cm
Weight:81kg
D.O.B:18-07-2004
THE ULTIMATE COMPETITOR
Tough, relentless, uncompromising. George Wardlaw is our number one in June and for good reason. The Oakleigh Chargers midfielder has a knack for standing up on the big stage and did so in May’s AFL Academy showcase, taking home the MCC President’s Medal as best afield. What makes him the ultimate team player is his attack on the ball, work rate, and two-way effort, but Wardlaw has added some serious weapons to his well-rounded game in 2022. Having cut his teeth as an inside type, the 17-year-old’s explosive athleticism makes him hard to stop among his peers, and he has developed a wickedly penetrative kick to go with clean overhead marking. Those traits combined, he can hurt the opposition while endeavouring to help others shine.

A hamstring injury unfortunately saw Wardlaw miss Vic Metro's three-game run at the national carnival, but he remains a contender for the No.1 pick. His best performances this season have come in the big games – he was best-afield for Oakleigh against Sandringham in round one of the NAB League, where he has averaged 21 disposals this season, and also judged the leading player for the NAB AFL Academy against Collingwood's VFL side. Wardlaw is powerful, competitive and tough through the midfield, has some spring in his step, can go forward and kick an important goal, and lifts when his team needs him.

Some videos

dinnaz - Thanks mate

This one was a no brainer for me - After bringing in the power of Wardlaw it only seem natural to have a load of silk to compliment.
This kid is all class, even if he is a Mummies boy!

SANDRINGHAM DRAGONS MEDIUM FORWARD

220px-Sandringham_Dragons_FC_logo.png

Harry Sheezel​

Height: 184cm
Weight: 77kg
D.O.B: 13-10-2004
Leagues: NAB League Boys

STRENGTHS:
  • Footy IQ
  • Forward Craft
  • Goal Sense
  • Kicking
  • Overhead marking

IMPROVEMENTS:
  • Limited midfield exposure
  • Speed

With a bottom-age campaign good enough to earn AFL Academy Selection, Sheezel has done everything he possibly could have to continue to elevate himself in draft rankings throughout 2022. His consistent base of performances across multiple levels of Under 18s football makes him as a ‘low floor’ option come November’s draft. Without commitments to weekend school footy, Sheezel was a near-permanent fixture for the NAB League premiers Sandringham Dragons across the season, making 14 appearances and being held goalless in only one of them. Sheezel managed 36 goals for the Dragons for the year, with a haul of six in Round 4 and four straight in the Grand Final particular highlights. Sheezel still managed five games with four or more goals, highlighting an incredible level of consistency.

It wasn’t exclusive to goal kicking either, with Sheezel only being held under double-digit disposal figures once. His ability to be involved up the ground as a marking target and ball winner were invaluable for his side. Marking has been a somewhat understated aspect of Sheezel’s game. Not being the most athletically gifted talent, Sheezel still managed to find ways to out-mark taller and stronger opponents, as well as lean on his natural forward craft to make smart leads into space.

With that marking strength in tow, Sheezel was dangerous whenever he had the ball inside 50, kicking more than his fair share of highlight reel worthy goals throughout the year. It didn’t matter where Sheezel won the footy, he was always in with a good chance to convert. His cleanliness below his knees and read of the ball at ground level, even under pressure, were real assets in his game, consistently able to beat opposition with his follow up work on the occasion they spoiled a marking attempt.

While the goals are certainly a big part of Sheezel’s game, his ball use in the front half of the ground is simply superb, and makes for a dangerous combination with his decision making, generally looking to hit teammates up in a better position when the opposition is presented, able to use both sides of his body to great effect.

There are very little concerns or risks associated with a prospect like Sheezel. With a well developed game that highlights his strength there’s little doubt he will be able to impact at the next level, however with AFL players increasingly getting more athletic, Sheezel will have to find ways to impact against that type of opposition which he has at times struggled with this year, occasionally being troubled when met by lockdown focused or faster opposition.
While Sheezel has played a pinch hit role through the midfield this year, limited on-ball opportunities may be a reason he doesn’t go in the top few selections on draft night, however returns of 37 and 33 disposals in games he was predominantly a midfielder, and an already elite endurance base, are certainly promising glimpses at what he may be capable of in that regard.

A few vids

Great write up 👍
Think Eagles are going to regret not taking Wardlaw.

West Coast - Pick 9 - Mattaes Phillipou - South Australia/Woodville-West Torrens - mid/forward - 192cm/89kg

Description from Rookieme: “A well-rounded forward/midfielder in the mould of Nat Fyfe and Patrick Dangerfield, Mattaes Phillipou’s aerial ability and scoreboard impact make him South Australia’s highest rated draft prospect."

He was seeming like a chance to be this year's bolter but had back issues and an ankle injury during the championships, although there was a suggestion that one or both of the SA clubs were trying to hide him. At 192cm with agility and athleticism he could be the Bontempelli or Fyfe, making him potentially the BBIMWBLF.

West Coast - Pick 13 - Elijah Hewett - Western Australia/Swan Districts - midfielder - 185cm/84kg

Description from Knightmare: "Hewett is a strong contested ball-winning mid whose power when exiting stoppages is notable".

He was seeming like a top-5 pick earlier but some quiet games during the Championships and in the seniors with Swan Districts lowered his stock a bit. Reportedly he had Covid and some lingering effects. That aside, he appeals as a ready-made midfielder who could play AFL straight away.

My strategy with these picks, after the club split 2, was to take one safe choice and one risk. Phillipou was the most enticing of the risky picks, he could definitely be a Bontempelli and give us the top-five AFL midfielder we haven't had for years, and I was pretty sure he wouldn't be around at my second pick. Whereas I was confident that Hewett and/or Ginbey would still be there. If they'd both been there it would have been a tough decision. Hewett is a low-risk pick who I liken to Sheed, not so much in playing style but in the fact that he can come straight in and contribute and will probably end up a 200-game player.

I can't remember who asked, I did consider McKenzie over Phillipou but ultimately I thought Phillipou's ceiling was higher.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

At what stage, do you think I can jump the que.

It’s been over 12 hours and eaglespremiers has been online in that time

So to keep things moving Melbourne select Matt Jefferson

195cm/78kg
8/3/04
Oakleigh Chargers/Vic Metro
Key forward
August ranking: 10

The tall forward finished his NAB League season with four goals against Sandringham and then three goals against Bendigo, then scans showed he had been playing with a fracture in his leg. After a couple of weeks off his returned for Vic Metro to face Vic Country in the final game of the national carnival, with the right-footer kicking two goals, including a pivotal late one. It took his tally to 14 for the carnival and showed him to be one of the leading key position players in the group. A key forward in the mould of Essendon's Harrison Jones.

Melbourne have an already powerful midfield group now being fed by two of the best rucks in the competition. With Jackson gone, an underperforming Weideman traded out as well as an increasingly less reliable Brown on his last legs, Melbourne could do with another KPF to join Van Rooyen

Eastcoasteagle you’re up

Last edited:
It’s been over 12 hours and eaglespremiers has been online in that time

So to keep things moving Melbourne select Matt Jefferson

195cm/78kg
8/3/04
Oakleigh Chargers/Vic Metro
Key forward
August ranking: 10

The tall forward finished his NAB League season with four goals against Sandringham and then three goals against Bendigo, then scans showed he had been playing with a fracture in his leg. After a couple of weeks off his returned for Vic Metro to face Vic Country in the final game of the national carnival, with the right-footer kicking two goals, including a pivotal late one. It took his tally to 14 for the carnival and showed him to be one of the leading key position players in the group. A key forward in the mould of Essendon's Harrison Jones.

Melbourne have an already powerful midfield group now being fed by two of the best rucks in the competition. With Jackson gone, an underperforming Weideman traded out as well as an increasingly less reliable Brown on his last legs, Melbourne could do with another KPF to join Van Rooyen

Eastcoasteagle you’re up
Damn, that was the player I was going to take. hahaha.

Pick 15. Sydney Swans

Isaac Keeler

With Buddy so close to the end and Sam Reid being stuck together by sticky tape, Keeler could partner McDonald for years to come. Play a Fwd role primarily followed by stints in the ruck as a very mobile tall.

Swans fill two needs here for price of one, as outside of Ruck and Key Forward the swans have great youth and depth in most positions. Keeler could be anything, at 200cm he mobility/agility is seriously impressive meaning he could become a very very dangerous key forward and mobile 2nd ruck. His ability to cover the ground combined with strong hands, means he's a very hard match up for opponents.
His skills be hand a foot are excellent for a man of his size, he just need to work on impacting games more often as he can go missing for periods. He can have the odd game where he'll dominant a quarter and then barely impact for the rest of the game.
Huge upside with this guy.

Last edited:
With pick 16, GWS select Oli Hotton.

Courtesy of Chris Doerre:

A speedy and high leaping forward, Hotton is talented both aerially and as a ground level threat inside 50. Up forward he can play taller than his height due to not just his leap but strong overhead marking, smart bodywork, one-on-one strength, and early reading of the drop of the ball. Hotton is also a lively ground ball winner inside 50 and displays excellent instincts around goal, needing little more than a small glimpse before he can swiftly get the ball onto his boot and finish.

While best known for his work as a forward, Hotton displays the versatility to play through the midfield and in defence. As a midfielder, he wins first possession at stoppages and is often found winning or receiving the ball on the move. His ball use by foot is exceptional with the vision he displays and the smart, well-placed kicks for forward 50 targets to lead onto. While in defence, Hotton is just as capable, displaying a great balance between intercepting, sound one-on-one defence and generating drive from defence with his run and work by foot.

GWS have needs in every part of the ground, I considered a midfielder with this pick but went best available in my eyes. Hotton is a dynamic player with alot of potential and I can really see him contributing to Carlton's premiership tilt in 2024 and beyond.

ronpingwins

Interesting doing this exercise, and realizing the Eagles really are in a sweet spot.
At pick 15 for the swans, there was nobody I'd really really want for the eagles left. At 8 Mackenzie, Poo and Ginbey left.

At 12 only really Hewett and Hotton left, but still decent. Jefferson likely to go before that pick anyway so another player would be there.

Disappointed not to have Jefferson available. Collingwood select Harry Barnett. Write up to come, but the pies seem to prefer the more flexible ruck style of Darcy Cameron than Grundy and Barnett fits that with his mobility and ability to slot into a KPP position up forward or in defence.

Eastcoasteagle

Pick 18. Sydney Swans

Bid on Brisbane lions FS Jaspa Fletcher

Ochre do you match?
Ochre has decided to match

By my calculations Brisbane lose the remainder of their picks in this draft and will take a 747 points deficit into 2023.

Remove this Banner Ad

Competitions WCE Board 2022 Mock Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Back