WCE looking for speedy mids already in the system.

Remove this Banner Ad

Working our skill level would hurt either , when preseason starts the first month would be solid running and working up to season proper I would be working them into the ground with skills work we fall way to short in this area for professional footballers.......:eek:
Another area of concern is a game plan!!!!!!!!!!!!

There is a fair bit of quality difference in the players you have named and corey.

Taylor/Prior/Siera/Harding/Carroll = Corey hahahaha :confused:

The point I'm making is that Corey would be a stop gap measure, just like those guys under Judge were.

At 27, he probably won't feature in our next premiership window.
Why trade away a 1st rd pick (and that's what we'd have to do) for a player that would ultimately not factor into our premiership aspirations?

The point I'm making is that Corey would be a stop gap measure, just like those guys under Judge were.

At 27, he probably won't feature in our next premiership window.
Why trade away a 1st rd pick (and that's what we'd have to do) for a player that would ultimately not factor into our premiership aspirations?

So we should trade cox and glass too then so we can get picks? If they are not going to be around either than we should cull them all??? He is same age as cox, year younger than glass.

Good drafting and trading will mean we are in contention again in 2/3 years.

Just to put things into perspective. When we traded for Prior, Merenda,Collica, Harding, Sierakowski and Taylor the HIGHEST pick that we gave up was number 21, and we got both Collica and Taylor for that ! The other draft picks that we traded were 27 and 57. We also traded Fraser Gherig for pick 18, Mitchell White for pick 45 and Danny Metropolios and pick 51 for Greg Harding.

So we should trade cox and glass too then so we can get picks? If they are not going to be around either than we should cull them all??? He is same age as cox, year younger than glass.

That's a stupid conclusion to reach.
But whatever wins you the argument :thumbsu:

Remember Taylor? Prior? Sierakowski? Harding? Carroll?
Collica & Merenda at least gave us 1 good season each, still hard pressed to say they were worth trading for.

Trading a 2nd rounder for a Ray or Prismall I don't mind, but lets not go down the Ken Judge road and load up on experienced players (e.g. Corey).

I did say can.:)

Stop-gap drafting & trading is fine provided it is done right.

One or two older players who can fill a role that a 17/18 year old can't for 2-3 years is fine as long as it doesn't cost an early pick or a promising youngster.

Farren is contracted. I know him personally and he rang me a while back after he put pen to paper and said that hes happy at the Dogs but does want to return home at some stage to play for the Eagles (Supported them growing up) but he said its very unlikely to be during his current contract which i think runs out at end of next season as he signed a 2 year deal towards the end of last season.

That's a stupid conclusion to reach.
But whatever wins you the argument :thumbsu:

So then what way do u want it?

Keep Cox and Glass knowing that we will not be a force during the rest of their careers and then force them to not have a chance at another premiership elsewhere?

Or recruit to put the team into a position where another tilt is possible before they hang up the boots?

You pulled out names of players that we have traded for in the past were total bollox (and not in the class of corey) to support your argument and when you are challenged you are unable to stand up to you view... which I don't have an issue with if its what you believe is the right way to go about things.

I did say can.:)

Stop-gap drafting & trading is fine provided it is done right.

One or two older players who can fill a role that a 17/18 year old can't for 2-3 years is fine as long as it doesn't cost an early pick or a promising youngster.

What do u class as an early pick scotland? rnd 1 and 2?

Working our skill level would hurt either , when preseason starts the first month would be solid running and working up to season proper I would be working them into the ground with skills work we fall way to short in this area for professional footballers.......:eek:
Another area of concern is a game plan!!!!!!!!!!!!
I agree that the team's skills are in drastic need of improvement. While we are recruiting new assistant coaches we should look at this postion and see whether we can do better than the one we have now !

What do u class as an early pick scotland? rnd 1 and 2?

Probably top 25 or so.

It's all relative, though.

We'll probably have picks 2, 18, 20, 36 and 52 or very similar.

Joel Corey, for example, I'd be happy to give up 18 or 20 for, as he is a proven player and you'd expect he would give 4-5 years good service to the club.

I don't see much value in trading for experienced players purely to add depth, though.

Probably top 25 or so.

It's all relative, though.

We'll probably have picks 2, 18, 20, 36 and 52 or very similar.

Joel Corey, for example, I'd be happy to give up 18 or 20 for, as he is a proven player and you'd expect he would give 4-5 years good service to the club.

I don't see much value in trading for experienced players purely to add depth, though.

Im of the same mind providing we could also package say seaby + 36 or another player for another top 20 pick.

We lost Couzo, Judd and Rojo last year. We look like losing Fletch and Braun this year. That's 5 experienced premiership midfielders in a couple of years. We need to replace one or two of them with a bit of experience and speed.
Yes draft picks and youth is good but the Eagles don't want to do a 4-6 year rebuild like Richmond, Carlton, Essendon and Hawks they want a 2-3 year successful turnaround and rookies and draftees won't do that.
We did really well last year in the draft so this year 2 early picks and a couple of mid-late picks will be enough. Use the others with a couple of players to get some ready made mids into the team. 3-4 draftees and 2-3 good experienced mids and we are on our way.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good drafting and trading will mean we are in contention again in 2/3 years.

Fail.

Bad comparison trading two AA players that are part of the club. No point rebuilding it for a tilt in 2/3 years and then being in the same position we are in this year again.

Need a good mix of youth and senior player experience. Great draft coming up with good picks going to be scarce with GC17 and The Celtics coming into the league over the next few years so now is the time to stock up on draft picks.

I hate this "WE NEED ANOTHER PREMIERSHIP NOW" crap. We've had 3, if we recruit and trade correctly we'll have another few within 10 years. Patience, rely on the recruitment team and back the boys whilst they're down.

There are no quick fixes to a team that gets belted by Richmond at home by 70 odd points. Only time and a team that has settled and played together for 3-4 seasons.

Fail.

Bad comparison trading two AA players that are part of the club. No point rebuilding it for a tilt in 2/3 years and then being in the same position we are in this year again.

Need a good mix of youth and senior player experience. Great draft coming up with good picks going to be scarce with GC17 and The Celtics coming into the league over the next few years so now is the time to stock up on draft picks.

I hate this "WE NEED ANOTHER PREMIERSHIP NOW" crap. We've had 3, if we recruit and trade correctly we'll have another few within 10 years. Patience, rely on the recruitment team and back the boys whilst they're down.

There are no quick fixes to a team that gets belted by Richmond at home by 70 odd points. Only time and a team that has settled and played together for 3-4 seasons.

Obviously detecting sarcasm is not one of your strong points.

We are also the 2nd youngest list in the AFL. Will be the youngest after some players are let go. Time for some more experienced players that are not over the hill

And im not too sure where you are from but in my world its all about premierships. And yes i want another one.

Obviously detecting sarcasm is not one of your strong points.

We are also the 2nd youngest list in the AFL. Will be the youngest after some players are let go. Time for some more experienced players that are not over the hill

And im not too sure where you are from but in my world its all about premierships. And yes i want another one.

Yes because recruiting players already in the system always results in Premierships. Just ask Fremantle.

The PSD will be the best place to pick up some speed mids, are there any quality WAFL players that might be in the mix?

Farren is contracted. I know him personally and he rang me a while back after he put pen to paper and said that hes happy at the Dogs but does want to return home at some stage to play for the Eagles (Supported them growing up) but he said its very unlikely to be during his current contract which i think runs out at end of next season as he signed a 2 year deal towards the end of last season.

Farrens contract runs out at the end of this year. Hopefuly he wont go back home until after his career ends, but if not then at least after he has helped us to a flag whether that is this year or in 5 years time. Can you guys please be patient.

No but maybe the likes of Bell, Croad, Farmer, McPharlin and Headland.

Fair enough, with some of those players but Bell and McPharlin can not be held responsible and to a lesser extent Farmer for freo's form over the last 6/7 years.

Additionally, they traded a No. 1 pick for Croad (plus two others for mcpharlin) and got headland for picks 3 and 17, I think. Is harsh to compare that to perhaps Corey for either pick 18 or 20 and maybe a lesser player or another high pick.

That, IMO, is a huge steal and something we could do with. Our midfield is undersized in height and will be in out-muscled for some time with Masten, Ebert, butler and what is looking like Rich. Not only is corey strong but he is also tall.

We have drafted young players the last 4 drafts with the only exceptions that i can remember being Priddis and Smith.

Fair enough, with some of those players but Bell and McPharlin can not be held responsible and to a lesser extent Farmer for freo's form over the last 6/7 years.

Additionally, they traded a No. 1 pick for Croad (plus two others for mcpharlin) and got headland for picks 3 and 17, I think. Is harsh to compare that to perhaps Corey for either pick 18 or 20 and maybe a lesser player or another high pick.

That, IMO, is a huge steal and something we could do with. Our midfield is undersized in height and will be in out-muscled for some time with Masten, Ebert, butler and what is looking like Rich. Not only is corey strong but he is also tall.

We have drafted young players the last 4 drafts with the only exceptions that i can remember being Priddis and Smith.

I think you've made my point right there - they traded No.1 and No. 36 for McPharlin - those two players turned out to be Luke Hodge and Sam Mitchell.

If we trade pick 18 + another pick for Corey, we could be missing out on the next Sam Mitchell or Daniel Cross or Daniel Kerr in this draft for a player that will give us 5 years at most, and his inclusion will not increase our chances at a premiership tilt in the next 3-4 years enough to warrant that risk.

Our players will be outmuscled until they develop, but when they do they will be better for it, they will learn to block for each other and play looking out for each other because they're used to being knocked about by the 'bigger blokes'. But I think you're forgetting Hurn is yet to go back into that midfield, I don't see him being outmuscled by many, he's bulked up even MORE now he can't do legwork, and Vossy coming over is really gonna benefit Hurn I think.

Corey is a gun, but he is in a midfield with Bartel, Kelly, Enright, Gablett, Ling, Chapman etc... Take those blokes away and we might not have as great a player as you're hoping.

I think our biggest problem this year is that we're not working as a team, throwing in a bloke whos been in the system for a decade aint gonna change a thing.

We also need a forward line, by the time our KPP prospects develop into a deadly forward line:

Lynch Kennedy Houlihan/Staker
LeCras Notte McKinley

Our midfield will also start to look formidable, the young guys (Ebert, Masten, Butler, Rich, whoever else we get in this draft) will be bulking up and working as a team and the 100+ gamers will be prime (Hurn, Butler, Rosa). And the older guys will still be fit. (Kerr, Priddis, Cox, Glass)

We don't need Corey. Youth is the answer, longer path to the premiership, but that is how we will build a Dynasty. No shortcuts, a few hard seasons on the way but the end result when we win 3 years in a row will be worth it.

I like your attitude and thoughts but i think you are being a little blinked on this. Could is the key word here. Could be the next kerr, could be the next Mitchell.

With corey you know what you are getting... with pick 18+ its a gamble. The only ones that are really safe this year are 1-5, maybe 1-8 at a pinch. There are always spuds. Our club has done well in drafting but also has had our train wreaks

As i said before, hes in the same age group as cox and glass. I'd hoped they will still be around for our next tilt.

If we trade seaby and whomever else to get us a pick to get yarren then id be very happy to have corey with one of the other picks. If we dont upgrade any of our picks or trade player for low picks then maybe corey is not the go.

We don't need Corey. Youth is the answer, longer path to the premiership, but that is how we will build a Dynasty. No shortcuts, a few hard seasons on the way but the end result when we win 3 years in a row will be worth it.

Geez, there's some positive forward thinking for ya !

Me, I'm just dreaming about winning 3 games in a row :(

Remove this Banner Ad

WCE looking for speedy mids already in the system.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back