We got corrie

Remove this Banner Ad

Agree with that. If we pick up another laconic HFF who is very very outside and delist one of the few players who has some kind of ability inside out of our younger group it would be crazy.

I know we got him for free and good luck to him. The kid has some real athletic ability. I am just not sure what our fixation with HFF's. Are we planning on filling all gaps on the field with HFF's.

I think the thing people should look at with this trade is not whether we would have gotten better with pick 90. We all know we wouldn't have used it. The more important issue is the spot on the list. With the amount of flashy HFF's who can pinch hit as running outside mid's we have I am really not sure. I'd say all of Thomas, Didak and Davis are and will continue to be better as midfielders then Corrie ever will. So why do we need that many foward flankers.

Didak, Maccaffer, Dick, Thomas, Davis, Medhurst, Corrie. Aswell as Tarks and Cox who are both able to play that role. Of the first 6 Davis and Thomas are the only two with real midfield potential. Any of the others would be restricted to pinch hitting if we are to put together a good midfield IMO.
Agree completely with this post. Who will look at this trade as a good thing if Corrie being in the side hampers the development of young players like Dick and McCaffer, whom may potentially be better players? It's easy to say, well it was pick 93 so it was a steal, but there's a lot more to it than that. I'm sorry, but you can't have that many outside flankers in the team and expect to win too many games of football. Expecting certain players to become midfielders when they simply haven't shown the capacity so far isn't good planning.

You should trade only for needs, not simply for any player that looks like a good deal that is available, unless they have outstanding potential, or current ability, that supercedes what's already in the side. Corrie definitely doesn't fit that description. Reasonable player, of which we have at least 3 or 4 whom are clearly better in that position. If we seriously brought him in to play in the back pocket then we are pretty silly. Why not convert Leon Davis to a back pocket? That probably has just as much chance of success.

Just seems like a pointless acquisition that doesn't particularly help us.

Shows once again that at least Collingwood and Brisbane are 2 clubs who can put gamesmanship and club pettiness aside during trade week to do the right things by player and give them a 2nd chance

pity there are teams like carlton who just try and manipulate the draft and use "strongman' tactics to rape weaker clubs any chance they get

absolute bargain guys, he could be a damaging midfielder if he gets his fitness up

And I like to think I'm an optimist !

I think it's good value though , a 7th rounder is always subjective . At least here we know exactly what we are getting .
Can't see him having too much game time next year though . Very much an 'in and out' small forward though I'd have thought .

I was sitting in my last class this afternoon & I got a text from my Dad saying "corrie 2 pies"
I didn't realise who it was but I had an idea it was the one from Brisbane.
I thought it was a interesting choice, I didn't expect it, but I think we might be able to work some magic with him & bring out his best. :thumbsu:

Hopefully Collingwood were thinking along the lines of; he is going to be delisted and we are gonna get Cousins in the PSD so he is to good to pass up...

From what ive seen of him, he seems a servicable player. Provides good foward pressure and can now take leons place as he wcan now play in the mid.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Shows once again that at least Collingwood and Brisbane are 2 clubs who can put gamesmanship and club pettiness aside during trade week to do the right things by player and give them a 2nd chance

pity there are teams like carlton who just try and manipulate the draft and use "strongman' tactics to rape weaker clubs any chance they get
Well said Jerry Springer:thumbsu:

Hine has said that he's basically a replacement for Rhyce. A similar type with more scope for improvement. When Rhyce asked to be traded, they looked for a replacement, and had their eye on Corrie since Monday.

He also mentioned Collingwood's record of improving new players to the club, and said he expected that Corrie could do the same, especially with regard to his "tank".

I dont know why people are being negative about this trade, ok we picked up another small forward with pace which most of us dont know too much about him, yeah sure we do have a surplas now of hff but it opens the door for daisy dids neon to play midfield, we gave up a shitty pick gained picked 46 for mind its win win, bear in mind what sort of players were on the table at trade week not much for mind except for okeefe which look at his age 28, i wouldnt have wanted warnock his price was to high for a average player when we have cam wood, really there wasnt much cattle there to pick and i think getting a 24yo with 60 games exp with good disposal and pace for our 6th rnd is a bloody good bargain and with 4 picks in the first 3 rounds is good i dont think we couldve have hoped for much more atleast we didnt trade a didak for a first round pick:thumbsu:

For mine it's not about the pick as much as the list management issue.

I think it show's we are expecting to fill our midfield gaps with HFF. As I said only 2 being Davis and Daisy have real midfield potential. If we are expecting him to replace Rhyce we have to understand why Voss would have been so keen to delist him. He is soft which is fine on a HFF with his skills but in the midfield it just doesn't pass. We don't have to be active in trade week for the sake of it.

I am not against picking him up, I just wonder about the line of thinknig.

There really is no 'downside' to this trade since we effectively got Corrie for free, if it doesn't work out all we've wasted is a list spot.

I don't see what's so bad about Corrie playing as a HFF (or maybe even HBF) and releasing Dids, Davis and Thomas to more permanent midfield roles? How much class would our midfield ooze with those 3 running through the square?

There really is no 'downside' to this trade since we effectively got Corrie for free, if it doesn't work out all we've wasted is a list spot.

I don't see what's so bad about Corrie playing as a HFF (or maybe even HBF) and releasing Dids, Davis and Thomas to more permanent midfield roles? How much class would our midfield ooze with those 3 running through the square?

Firstly because I don't want to see him in the midfield. Even this year (and individually he had a great season) playing as a midfielder he did it like a kick chasing HFF. Roaming around raking up a lot of outside possies and giving it off straight away. He can do that and be more dangerous and effective off the HFF I can't see why he wouldn't be moved back there. If Didak is in our long term plans as a midfielder I am worried.

they will never change Jerry.

Its ingrained into their hitler-esque pshyce

Firstly because I don't want to see him in the midfield. Even this year (and individually he had a great season) playing as a midfielder he did it like a kick chasing HFF. Roaming around raking up a lot of outside possies and giving it off straight away. He can do that and be more dangerous and effective off the HFF I can't see why he wouldn't be moved back there. If Didak is in our long term plans as a midfielder I am worried.

He was leading the comp in kicks by a country mile (not to mention the Copeland as well) before the 'incident', that's a pretty damaging midfielder right there. Didak may arguably be better as a HFF, but he is still a very good midfielder (albeit outside) with footskills and creativity in the top echelon of the competition, let alone the club.

To borrow a phrase from soccer, its a case of 'fitting the players to the formation' against 'fitting the formation to the players'. Change 'formation' to 'structure' and it applies equally for AFL. Its a tough dilemma, but thats why top coaches are on big dollar contracts. :)

I think Dids can become a better midfielder if he improves his fitness, he seems really knackered at times, I guess years of playing in the forward pocket doesn't really help, he'll hopefully improve on his tank a bit this year with a solid pre-season.

Mentioned in this thread too many times to quote, but he is not a small forward, and has never played for more than a quarter inside 50. Winger, running half back, occasionally playing HFF, but never a crumber or goal sneak. Can't remember last time he 'crumbed' a goal. It's a bit of myth that even the media a guilty of portraying.

That said, I am a huge fan, and disappointed that a couple of players have been kept over him. Good pick up (although lets not pretend that this was a trade, rather a way for Bris to do right by a player rather then let him take his chances in the draft).
Check the videos previously posted. That's what you guys picked him up for, running through the wing and kicking goals or delivering. Far superior kick to Rhyce Shaw. Perhaps doesn't work hard enough defensively or when the ball needs to be won, but it's a part of a players game that can be improved.

Mentioned in this thread too many times to quote, but he is not a small forward, and has never played for more than a quarter inside 50. Winger, running half back, occasionally playing HFF, but never a crumber or goal sneak. Can't remember last time he 'crumbed' a goal. It's a bit of myth that even the media a guilty of portraying.

That said, I am a huge fan, and disappointed that a couple of players have been kept over him. Good pick up (although lets not pretend that this was a trade, rather a way for Bris to do right by a player rather then let him take his chances in the draft).
Check the videos previously posted. That's what you guys picked him up for, running through the wing and kicking goals or delivering. Far superior kick to Rhyce Shaw. Perhaps doesn't work hard enough defensively or when the ball needs to be won, but it's a part of a players game that can be improved.

I would hope to see him spend as little time up forward as possible.

I think and hope his go will be as a midfielder/wingman carrying the footy. Hopefully he becomes a type of link man that we try to get the footy to because he can run and carry.

A rebounding flanker/wingman delivering the footy inside 50 is what I'd like to see them do with him and I think it's on the cards.

I have seen a bit of him as I watch the Lions a bit as my step dad supports them and he's definitely not the player I would be putting deep forward.

He will move into a different game plan and a different role at Collingwood. Different development and staff.

I said before trade week the gold comes from the lesser trades, not the big named trades. Let's hope Corrie takes his second chance and gives us a bit. And congrats to the Lions for giving him the chance.

I'll answer my own question. From the Bears website:
" fast, hard-running small forward with good goal sense. Played four games last season, mainly off the bench, before injuring an anterior cruciate ligament in his knee, ruling him out for 12 months. Was delisted at the end of the season but selected in the rookie draft. Renowned for his chasing and tackling."

Just what we need...another small forward!

Can play wing, half back & forward & pitch hit in the middle. Good replacement for shaw.............& can hit a target:thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

We got corrie

Remove this Banner Ad

Back