WE MUST TRADE DARCY

Remove this Banner Ad

It's too late now. Like Brodie Grundy if we trade Darcy now we'll get a 2nd rounder and have to pay a chunk of his salary.
We need him to correct the diet not running laps. You loose weight with diet . Diet 80% excercise 20%. Running him into the ground won’t help the knee getting his diet sorted should be number one priority. Pre seas on with a gradual build up is a no brainer. It’s a marathon not a sprint. He covers the ground well for a big fella so the fitness will come and shouldn’t be a problem.

Surely Pearce, Treacy, Young, Serong, Brayshaw are more important than Darcy?

If his career path hangs on the next 12 months that contract to 2030 looks a bad call.
Impossible to quantify. I base it on Darcy being the first player to get access to the ball and direct it to our mids. Plus being a marking influence down the line.

Most important doesn't necessarily means best either. It also factors in whether that player can be adequately covered for if they're not there. Darcy is the least replaceable player on the list.

A bit chicken egg though isn't it. Carrying the extra weight has an impact on his knee and when his knee is sore, he puts on weight. If you believe Darcy has ever been truly fit, then I think we have different standards of fitness. The only ruck in recent memory who has had Darcy levels of gut would be Nic Nat (who also had knee issues)
Being heavier is better for rucking though, so there is a balance. Tim English is too light, can’t match it with the big boys but he can create more linkup options around the ground.

Sean Darcy would actually be a good fit for the bulldogs, if his knee is ok.

English could play the Jackson role, Sam Darcy could be a permanent forward, you punt Jones and Naughton goes to full back

Being heavier is better for rucking though, so there is a balance. Tim English is too light, can’t match it with the big boys but he can create more linkup options around the ground.
100% agree. It’s why Jackson isn’t really a number 1 ruck. Darcy does have to work on his fitness though. No AFL player should have a gut like he does. You can be big and strong (meek) and not fat (Darcy)

lmao everyone not mentioning darcy is lazy and does not care about getting his diet right .......he has one more year to get it right or he can gtfo
As someone who gos to training regularly, I would reply the extra running and work put in over the the years is probably the reason he has knee issues. He not a naturally gifted athlete but he has worked his arse off to try and get to an AFL standard. HE IS NOT LAZY.

As someone who gos to training regularly, I would reply the extra running and work put in over the the years is probably the reason he has knee issues. He not a naturally gifted athlete but he has worked his arse off to try and get to an AFL standard. HE IS NOT LAZY.
Although it doesn't surprise that people flicking out lazy opinions are quick to conclude laziness is the key.

Although it doesn't surprise that people flicking out lazy opinions are quick to conclude laziness is the key.
I think it’s pretty telling that Mark Duffield was so strongly critical of Darcy and his professionalism after the season finished recently on his SEN radio show.

Duff is freo to the bone. His views have always reflected what are often termed the “happy clappers” on here. He NEVER singles out individuals from freo in that manner.

His connections to the club lie deep and are in place for decades. He would have known Justin Longmuir from country football before he was ever drafted and obviously had the family connection from Paul playing for the dockers.

There is just no way Duff would have singled out an individual player that much if it wasn’t reflecting something that is also the position of the Fremantle hierarchy.

The comments of Caleb Serong on the JB and Brownless radio show about Darcy a week later confirmed it beyond any doubt for me.

Its a big off season for Sean and he needs to do EVERYTHING, on and off the field to give himself the very best chance of a successful 2025 season.

I think it’s pretty telling that Mark Duffield was so strongly critical of Darcy and his professionalism after the season finished recently on his SEN radio show.

Duff is freo to the bone. His views have always reflected what are often termed the “happy clappers” on here. He NEVER singles out individuals from freo in that manner.

His connections to the club lie deep and are in place for decades. He would have known Justin Longmuir from country football before he was ever drafted and obviously had the family connection from Paul playing for the dockers.

There is just no way Duff would have singled out an individual player that much if it wasn’t reflecting something that is also the position of the Fremantle hierarchy.

The comments of Caleb Serong on the JB and Brownless radio show about Darcy a week later confirmed it beyond any doubt for me.

Its a big off season for Sean and he needs to do EVERYTHING, on and off the field to give himself the very best chance of a successful 2025 season.
You could easily say Duffield will make more headway from a reactionary/lazy opinion than he would from a more considered moderate one.

I'd much rather go by the weight of evidence any day of the week over an identity-attached opinion. I've seen it first hand too in preseason and heard numerous teammates talk about how hard he works.

It's more than ironic you "hearing" Serong's comment as saying he's lazy. As he pretty much said he works as hard (maybe even harder) as anyone. Especially given his celebrating prowess when that's appropriate.

Just as a side note on whenever someone puts up Duffield as the preeminent expert on all things Freo...

I always remember him in a discussion in his ABC Radio years, regarding Freo's inaccuracy at goals. It was late era Lyon and Duffield went on at some length, offering his observations of their trainings and that Freo did not spend the time practicing goal kicking skills that the WC did. Ironically, he felt Freo used it all in fitness and contested drills.

Amazingly enough when I checked the actual data (ie goals vs points), Freo was more accurate than the WC were at that time.

You could easily say Duffield will make more headway from a reactionary/lazy opinion than he would from a more considered moderate one.

I'd much rather go by the weight of evidence any day of the week over an identity-attached opinion. I've seen it first hand too in preseason and heard numerous teammates talk about how hard he works.

It's more than ironic you "hearing" Serong's comment as saying he's lazy. As he pretty much said he works as hard (maybe even harder) as anyone. Especially given his celebrating prowess when that's appropriate.
i didnt hear these comments of Serong's, what did he say exactly? seems you and Dockeroo have interpreted his comments in two totally different ways?

i didnt hear these comments of Serong's, what did he say exactly? seems you and Dockeroo have interpreted his comments in two totally different ways?
I could get an exact quote, but essentially the discussion was on Treacy and that as a country bloke he'd love a beer. They bandied around a few names in a city vs country kind of way and it got to Darcy...of course. Brayshaw & Brownless nudge nudged on him being a beer slaughterer. Serong basically said he had a hell of a tank for boozing when it came to it, but in season would work as hard as anyone on his fitness.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As others have said, losing weight isn't about running laps. It's about diet.

So great he has good aerobic fitness. But get lean Sean. Get lean.

Availability is the best ability and if he is only good for 12-15 games a year he ain't worth his salary.

Agree, I wouldn't call him lazy. But given his natural build he needs to be taking the off season a lot more serious. Smashing beer is fine if you can present in reasonable shape but Darcy just doesn't seem to have the body to be able to do that.

Agree, I wouldn't call him lazy. But given his natural build he needs to be taking the off season a lot more serious. Smashing beer is fine if you can present in reasonable shape but Darcy just doesn't seem to have the body to be able to do that.
These past two years have been shizen, but the three years prior to that he's been more than durable.

Of course you'd be looking to examine everything to try and get in front of it, but you could question whether that injury record is even an outlier as far as mid-20's tall players go with a number of AFL years under the belt... especially a combative ruck.

I'm always suspicious of the enduro-fitness-maximisers and the more=more approach. As a coach in junior footy you get to see the endless-preseason coaches, who think the answer for every issue is get more fit. I loved Cam McEvoy's smarter approach to training and how that turned his career around.

Totally agree, he is certainly not lazy.
I was a constant visitor to training in his early days and I was astounded at just how hard he worked to build his body.His early training was with weights to build his muscle. And he worked harder doing that than most players did withthe running etc.He was driven to make it.
Some say that he should swim to lose weight. Have any that think that, ever stop to think maybe he can't swim!
I think that he has just become another kicking boy for some followers.

Totally agree, he is certainly not lazy.
I was a constant visitor to training in his early days and I was astounded at just how hard he worked to build his body.His early training was with weights to build his muscle. And he worked harder doing that than most players did withthe running etc.He was driven to make it.
Some say that he should swim to lose weight. Have any that think that, ever stop to think maybe he can't swim!
I think that he has just become another kicking boy for some followers.
It’s kinda funny you say this.

I’m pretty sure Sean Darcy was an elite swimmer at schools level!

He’s probably a better swimmer than 99.99% of the general population 😂

I will take your word for it. I have never heard that before.
Read the first post in this thread. He was actually even better than I thought and almost got selected for the National squad.

Read the first post in this thread. He was actually even better than I thought and almost got selected for the National squad.

Yeah, still sounds lazy.

Remove this Banner Ad

WE MUST TRADE DARCY

Remove this Banner Ad

Back