We Need to Talk about Over-Celebrating

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 25, 2005
Grogansville
AFL Club
Gold Coast

A mate sent me this a week or two ago. The reason was that when we were kids we were at a house party one night, and whilst the party was going on around us, him and I were watching the footy in this dude's loungeroom. Completely anti-social. But you know, footy.

This game was on. He smoked his first cigarette that night, and went on to become one of the state's great smokers, and I famously drank 9 cans of room temp Foster's and chundered on the host's dog in his backyard.

Anyway, I digress.

I humoured him and watched this clip, and was taken by two things:

1) How freaking good Nicky Winmar was. I'd forgotten.

2) Goal celebrations.

Tony Lockett kicked 10 and dominated, including kicking his 100th - and he barely smiled after each goal. Did his business, and got on with it.

Compare that to today!!

I'm embarrassed by the goal celebrations today. In fact, I'm ashamed of humanity when I see the way Williams carried on last night. Or when I see Aaron Naughton or Stringer carry on after ever single freaking goal they kick, regardless of how difficult or meaningful the actual goal was.

So, players of today - I implore you, tone it down. You look like a dickhead.

Oh, and get off my lawn.

Last edited:

But that doesn't excuse everyone else.

I mean co e on man, surely you were embarrassed by Williams' goal celebrations last night?

That was simply shocking stuff.

Do you have threads about players who wear coloured footy boots or have long hair?

The 21st century has clearly been a tough adjustment for you.

Do agree it is over the top where the goals don’t often warrant such an exuberant celebration.

If, or possibly when, I coach one of these AFL teams, one team rule would be to disrupt the opposition goal celebration when they get a goal through a dodgy free kick or dubious mark. All 18 of my players basically keep the 1 player who kicked the goal separated from his 17 teammates. Ring of shame around him.

They didn’t earn it, they don’t get to celebrate it.

Do agree it is over the top where the goals don’t often warrant such an exuberant celebration.

If, or possibly when, I coach one of these AFL teams, one team rule would be to disrupt the opposition goal celebration when they get a goal through a dodgy free kick or dubious mark. All 18 of my players basically keep the 1 player who kicked the goal separated from his 17 teammates. Ring of shame around him.

They didn’t earn it, they don’t get to celebrate it.
I can just picture the job interview now...

Footy Club Board: So, Cosmic Energy, thanks for coming in today. We appreciate your time. Tel us about how you will transform our club?

You: Ok, well, so you know when blokes Over-Celebrate....

Thread needs more Tom Papley.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A mate sent me this a week or two ago. The reason was that when we were kids we were at a house party one night, and whilst the party was going on around us, him and I were watching the footy in this dude's loungeroom. Completely anti-social. But you know, footy.

This game was on. He smoked his first cigarette that night, and went on to become one of the state's great smokers, and I famously drank 9 cans of room temp Foster's and chundered on the host's dog in his backyard.

Anyway, I digress.

I humoured him and watched this clip, and was taken by two things:

1) How freaking good Nicky Winmar was. I'd forgotten.

2) Goal celebrations.

Tony Lockett kicked 10 and dominated, including kicking his 100th - and he barely smiled after each goal. Did his business, and got on with it.

Compare that to today!!

I'm embarrassed by the goal celebrations today. In fact, I'm ashamed of humanity when I see the way Williams carried on last night. Or when I see Aaron Naughton or Stringer carry on after ever single freaking goal they kick, regardless of how difficult or meaningful the actual goal was.

So, players of today - I implore you, tone it down. You look like a dickhead.

Oh, and get off my lawn.

Clubhouse leader for post of the year.

The constant high fiving is worse. I get it, it shows support and comradery, but gone too far. It’s at the point they’ll feel awkwardness or self conscious if they walk past another guy and don’t get one. Or one guy might forget, feel bad that he’s let his team mate down, and won’t be able to focus on playing. He’ll also feel scared that he’s gonna get in trouble on review. And not to mention, the guy that gets snubbed could be devastated and perplexed, while hoping he hasn’t done anything wrong to the other guy.

The constant high fiving is worse. I get it, it shows support and comradery, but gone too far. It’s at the point they’ll feel awkwardness or self conscious if they walk past another guy and don’t get one. Or one guy might forget, feel bad that he’s let his team mate down, and won’t be able to focus on playing. He’ll also feel scared that he’s gonna get in trouble on review. And not to mention, the guy that gets snubbed could be devastated and perplexed, while hoping he hasn’t done anything wrong to the other guy.
Well I'd go one step further than that even and I'd say the High Five should be outlawed from the game altogether, its just a bit of Seppo bullshit the West Indies have introduced into the game, and I reckon when it comes to congratulating one of your teammates, there's simply no better way of doing it than with the traditional Australian hug or a kiss or a lick, a grope on the arse or a dry root, Its still the most appropriate way, I think, of showing one's exuberance and excitement, and its certainly the most masculine and manly way of going about it

I think that the real question here is why you didn't put the cans of Fosters in the fridge at some stage. I mean maybe you drink the first one warm whilst you wait for the rest to cool down (maybe put them in the freezer).

The reasons why you appear to have joined the fun police maybe;

1) you were drinking Fosters
2) you were drinking warm Fosters

Remove this Banner Ad

We Need to Talk about Over-Celebrating

Remove this Banner Ad

Back