We want talls.

Remove this Banner Ad

We have picked up Griffiths, Faulks and most likely Anthony.

Clarke, Houghton, Shepheard and Sibosado are developing talls.

Also, free agency is coming. No reason we cant recruit a gap filler tall from another club, that isn't getting a game eg Anthony/King or club is developing and don't want to commit to an old tall eg Hudson or Barry Hall type situation.

The club is on the right track with players who can kick the ball, have toe, and have a great attitude.

The old style key positions have less of an impact and I cant that changing much.

Going all under 20 talls for our rookies.
"All of them?"
Yeah.

Why would we do that? From our drafting we seem to be relaxed about the talls we have, taking a speculative medium forward instead of say Hamps, Chalwell etc.

Seriously, I would be interested to know how you see the draft, because it did not seem to address needs at all, covering areas and player types we already have, but you want that to happen in the RD?

I think tall forwards are not as important - we can develop a game with accurate passing to leading medium forwards - we tended to bomb too much this year. The opposition will have to pick the defenders to match up to 5 or 6 running forwards.

Defenders is a little different, we need tall players to nullify opposition players, we saw this with Mcpharlin's work on Buddy in the QF. I would like us to pick up 1 or 2 players 192cm+ with a good defensive side to their game with a view to 2-3 years in the future when we loose McPharlin and Grover, and players like Johnson and Bradley are ageing. I know we have Sibo, but wouldn't mind another

A player like savage fits the bill!

The way we drafted, I would think that our recruiters are extremly confident in obtaining Anthony in the PSD, and are very confident in the ability of Faulks (and or Sibo)

The West this morning is reporting that Justin Monaco will be training with Freo - it seems. If we can pick up Monaco and Anthony and rookie Bucovaz and Truffles it will round out a good off season trade/draft period for us. The one space left I reckon could go to a rangy developing ruck/kpp like Ben Brown.

The West this morning is reporting that Justin Monaco will be training with Freo - it seems. If we can pick up Monaco and Anthony and rookie Bucovaz and Truffles it will round out a good off season trade/draft period for us. The one space left I reckon could go to a rangy developing ruck/kpp like Ben Brown.

That is all good to me. If Grif is half-good we are fine for rucks now, but rooklie list esp if they can potentially fill a KP is great.

Rookie listing a tall player wouldn't be a bad idea.

I think that McPharlin could play predominately as a forward in the coming years leaving the defensive duties to Grover, Faulks and Jack Anthony.

Thoughts?

Here is an exert from Snoops Phantom Draft :

Justin Monaco – East Fremantle / 191cm / 86kg

Profile : Listed as a Tall Defender for combine but will be a HB flank for sure.....getting repetitive.....there are more to come! Seen Monaco a few times and I think he is a really good talent albeit I fear I am alone. Reminds me a bit of a Enright. He is not blessed with a heap of pace but is just a footballers footballer. Reads the play incredibly well and is strong on his feet which is really important for backmen. Plays the percentages and gives everything when out there. The knock on him is that he just lacks that bit of hurt factor because whilst his pace and skills are good....they aren’t elite. Still will dominate at State League and force his way in and from then on will be fine.
Why Fremantle: Best available and in many eyes will be a steal here.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The best result in my opinion would be to take JA in the preseason draft followed by Ruffles and 3 of Myles Sewell (first preference as we need tough in and udner type), Justin Monaco (Versatile backman), Tyler Chalwell (Tall KPP and a freo fan as well), Ed Curnow (ready to go from vfl), Matt Little (Accurate Goal kicker), Anton Hamp (promising young KPP), Sam Menagola (Fit and skilful KPP), Kieren Butcher (fast, strong and works hard).

Hmmm.. If that's the case then the 1 spot would be for their PSD pick. So maybe they're just gonna let those picks go?

Are you suggesting a developing team may begin life short one player on their list? Can't see that happening. At the very least they should take a a mature mid, or someone like Chalwell, Savage or Hamp, surely. Madness not to, and costs next to nix.

Rookie listing a tall player wouldn't be a bad idea.

I think that McPharlin could play predominately as a forward in the coming years leaving the defensive duties to Grover, Faulks and Jack Anthony.

Thoughts?

IMO McPharlin is not a forward. Absolute "gun" in the backline and gives the team the necessary structure and stability. The team plays so much better when he is there.

Rookie listing a fast, strong & tall player would be a good idea. There are still Gorilla forwards around - Cloke, Dawes etc

Hope Freo does get Jack and he plays forward.

IMO McPharlin is not a forward. Absolute "gun" in the backline and gives the team the necessary structure and stability. The team plays so much better when he is there.

Rookie listing a fast, strong & tall player would be a good idea. There are still Gorilla forwards around - Cloke, Dawes etc

Hope Freo does get Jack and he plays forward.

I think Hase 29 is one of a very small minority who wants McPharlin forward. His best is in the backline

The best result in my opinion would be to take JA in the preseason draft followed by Ruffles and 3 of Myles Sewell (first preference as we need tough in and udner type), Justin Monaco (Versatile backman), Tyler Chalwell (Tall KPP and a freo fan as well), Ed Curnow (ready to go from vfl), Matt Little (Accurate Goal kicker), Anton Hamp (promising young KPP), Sam Menagola (Fit and skilful KPP), Kieren Butcher (fast, strong and works hard).

Agreed. :thumbsu:

Ideally
- Timmy Ruffles
- One of either Sewell or Curnow
- One of either Chalwell or Hamp (would actually prefer Chalwell based on the video... good skills, uses height well). But both would be great pick ups
- One of the other fellas

Remove this Banner Ad

We want talls.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back