MRP / Trib. Webster KO's Simpkin - Update 7 week penalty

Remove this Banner Ad

Why would you do this in a practice match? If I was Ross I'd bring him back through the 2s even after the suspension.

Looked much worse than SPP who is out a month. So be interesting to see what the tribunal (which he'll be sent straight to) does.

Like knock him out and forced retirement?
What a grub. Lined him up and deliberately hit him high and very late. If you had an ounce of integrity you’d be calling for minimum 6-8 weeks. But we all know you won’t though, don’t we?

Oh, and your attempts to deflect by referencing Maynard’s accidental collision with Brayshaw does you no credit at all. The 2 incidents are totally dissimilar.

Last edited:

Is this table still a thing?

View attachment 1918428

Intentional, high contact, high impact, three games.

If impact is deemed severe, then 4+ and off to the tribunal.

Very silly thing to do by Jimmy and because he is not in the boys club, the commentators are piling on him already.

Is that the 2023 one? I can't find a 2024 version.
Assuming the above is still accurate its probably intentional and high impact, but they might call it severe to "send a message".

Goodbye Jimmy Webster

Had the first option to smother but chose not to
2nd option to pull up, or evade but lined him up.

IF SPP got 4, this has to be 6-8 if the AFL want's to set the mark.

just wondering if its judged by the incident in-game or if its just by the outcome. if it turns out Jy is forced to retire from this do you think he punishment should be more? should he be forced to retire also?

Yes. The MRO assigns a level of "Impact" when grading incidents, and the injury of the impacted player is taken into account.

Michael Jordan Lol GIF
Yeah.

Probably 6 or 7 weeks.

But it really doesn't need to turn into a media circus. No one thinks that is acceptable.

We don't need days and days of David King moralising about concussion or Robbo waving his arms around like he is the only one who thinks players shouldn't be jumping off the ground and hitting blokes in the head.

They could hand out the punishment tomorrow and everyone would move on.

That won't be happening though.

In an ideal world Websters hit gets him half the season off. But too many commercial ramifications and afl can’t back itself into a corner incase a decent player who actually matters does the same thing. Could sink a teams season. I expect this will be 6.
6 is about right
But id also introduce club penalties along the lines of a red card.
Let the saints play a man down. See how quickly players stop doing it if the risk is their side drops points.

For preseason games, id have the punishment for rd1

This is the problem with the afl going so hard at SPP. Whilst his was a bad bump, there was always plenty of room to have a worse hit. This one is magnitudes worse.

If they try and impose a 6+ ban, is there any precedence for this for a bump? The afl should ask for it but would the tribunal uphold it? It's going to be a long session and possibly an appeal.

If it's only 4 or 5, SPP is looking hard done by.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Probably 6 or 7 weeks.

But it really doesn't need to turn into a media circus. No one thinks that is acceptable.

We don't need days and days of David King moralising about concussion or Robbo waving his arms around like he is the only one who thinks players shouldn't be jumping off the ground and hitting blokes in the head.

They could hand out the punishment tomorrow and everyone would move on.

That won't be happening though.
Robbo and kingy are on us
Ive stopped tuning into anything their on.

Id happily watch something pure hosted by garry, kath and either montagna or dunstall.

Radio said this is jy’s 4th concussion
4th concussion leaving the field maybe but have to also consider we're tougher now than we were 5 years ago.

What about all of the micro hits, and all of the times he went up for evaluation?

Theres a lot we still don't know but very concerning if this is his 4th big hit. The real danger is multiple hits within short periods. There was a documentary about it and it can take up to 28 days for full recovery from a heavy hit.

This is the problem with the afl going so hard at SPP. Whilst his was a bad bump, there was always plenty of room to have a worse hit. This one is magnitudes worse.

If they try and impose a 6+ ban, is there any precedence for this for a bump? The afl should ask for it but would the tribunal uphold it? It's going to be a long session and possibly an appeal.

If it's only 4 or 5, SPP is looking hard done by.

Its explicit in the rules that the tribunal, if it goes straight to tribunal, is not bound by precedent. Which throws up all sorts of anomalies.

It's an 8 week penalty and might even be more? It's unbelievable that any player in this day and age is even considering to bump like that, Ross Lyon needs to be asked what are they teaching players at Moorabbin? It's more than a puzzling decision.

6 is about right
But id also introduce club penalties along the lines of a red card.
Let the saints play a man down. See how quickly players stop doing it if the risk is their side drops points.

For preseason games, id have the punishment for rd1
As I said in the SPP Thread, I think players will adjust accordingly if the penalties are harsh. I expect players to choose NOT to pursue a player and either go for the smother, or contain the player from subsequent plays.

It's an 8 week penalty and might even be more? It's unbelievable that any player in this day and age is even considering to bump like that, Ross Lyon needs to be asked what are they teaching players at Moorabbin? It's more than a puzzling decision.
So what is a Tony Lockett hit on Caven worth on this scale?

If salt and pepper was 4 weeks because another Port player slung a player into him, then this is 6-8 weeks. Was malicious. What a grub.
That needs to be 8 weeks. Everyone's been put on notice during the off season, and we've just had Brayshaw have to retire from concussions, and a Port player given 4 weeks for something what would have been 1 or 2 weeks last season.

So everyone knows the rules, with that backgorund making this an absolutely unnecessary action. Late, elected to bump instead of tackle, left the ground, opponent knocked out of the game, in a PRACTICE match!

Last edited:
Its explicit in the rules that the tribunal, if it goes straight to tribunal, is not bound by precedent. Which throws up all sorts of anomalies.
It'll be interesting to see how high the tribunal is willing to go. They don't always give the afl what they want when it's a +1 week. Here they'll be asking for +2 or 3 above the grading.

Last time i saw an 8+ week suspension Steven Baker spent most the game attacking a broken hand. Seems a bit over the top but as long as well known players nearing the finals get the same treatment then i don't mind if they send a message. The message would get across a lot easier if they made an example of a star player for once instead of waiting for no-names.

Last time i saw an 8+ week suspension Steven Baker spent most the game attacking a broken hand. Seems a bit over the top but as long as well known players nearing the finals get the same treatment then i don't mind if they send a message. The message would get across a lot easier if they made an example of a star player for once instead of waiting for no-names.

Yeah the AFL made up rules to make sure Baker got barrelled.

Remove this Banner Ad

MRP / Trib. Webster KO's Simpkin - Update 7 week penalty

Remove this Banner Ad

Back