List Mgmt. Welcome Bailey Smith - officially (and finally) traded to Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

Impressed with Smith's interview.

My biggest concern is him doing another ACL.

If he can avoid that, I think he will be a very nice addition to the team.
Holmes Stengle Cameron Stewart anyone can do one you don't have to have history.

Impressed with Smith's interview.

My biggest concern is him doing another ACL.

If he can avoid that, I think he will be a very nice addition to the team.

That's always a concern with any player who's done an ACL. Gotta look at the positives, Will Ashcroft did his and came back, played some ripping footy and won a norm smith medal & a flag for brissie.

I think the re-tear risk is slightly elevated in the 'normal' population, but I do wonder if it's higher (and if so, by how much) in elite sportspeople.
That's always a concern with any player who's done an ACL. Gotta look at the positives, Will Ashcroft did his and came back, played some ripping footy and won a norm smith medal & a flag for brissie.

One of my favourite all time Cats, Wojo, ruptured an ACL in 2005, went on to play as a triple premiership immortal, was lightning quick, and after his AFL Geelong career finished, tore the other ACL!

A fair bit of symmetry-

05- Right knee ACL Tear

07- Flag
09- Flag
11- Flag

13- Left knee ACL tear.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

08- DNP
12- Flag Geelong VFL team

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wow! the B utt Hurt I've read on X from mostly Bulldogs fans is freakin hilarious.

Bill Hader Popcorn GIF by Saturday Night Live

I think there’s a good chance Geelong supporters will be a bit disappointed with Smith, at least in 2025.

That’s because (a) he’s not the superstar some think he is and (b) the ACL will be a drag.

Don’t disagree with this, but there is bull case on Smith too.

In 2021, in the semi final he went 27 and kicked 3.0 and Prelim 26 and 4.0.

That is a player with an extremely high top end.

It is a mystery why he went so much off the boil, arguably it was these performances that were the problem and he was used too much forward after that, and these were flukey nights out.

I would say the Dogs had the balance a little off, too many attacking/ball focused mids and they over corrected after that very bad 40 minutes in 2021 Grand Final. Smith was weirdly the casualty, despite being the youngest and the one they should have prioritised as Bont’s running mate.

I don’t think Geelong will have problems with his disposal. Like Holmes and Dangerfield, the burst and long kick forward works ok for us.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Welcome Bailey Smith - officially (and finally) traded to Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

Back