Welcome Welcome Jaeger O'Meara!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Banfield probably goes back to Sub when Walters is fit again, agree it’s not the best move and I don’t advocate for it, but 7 possessions is pretty bad for a whole game and he has the versatility to play multiple roles coming on as sub.

I've been one of the JOM bashers, but credit where credit is due, he's been playing really well over the past 3 or 4 games and has grown into the roles he's been given. For me, he's in the same boat as Fyfe - he's accepting that he needs to play a role and sacrifice his own game for team success.

We saw what happened last year when the young guys were in there without Mundy & Fyfe & before they brought Young in.

Much better balance with a couple of experienced, cool heads & big bodies in there.

Banfield probably goes back to Sub when Walters is fit again, agree it’s not the best move and I don’t advocate for it, but 7 possessions is pretty bad for a whole game and he has the versatility to play multiple roles coming on as sub.
I hope not, Banners is several tiers above Walters as it stands. That would be very very poor. Sub Walters would be ok, even with decreased versatility we seem to be developing enough elsewhere if needed.

I hope not, Banners is several tiers above Walters as it stands. That would be very very poor. Sub Walters would be ok, even with decreased versatility we seem to be developing enough elsewhere if needed.
I hope not as well, just not sure who of Banfield, Sturt, Switta or Frederick makes way for Walters, they all offer more than him currently but the coaches will try to squeeze him in

I hope not as well, just not sure who of Banfield, Sturt, Switta or Frederick makes way for Walters, they all offer more than him currently but the coaches will try to squeeze him in
Hmm, he seemed to be on relatively thin ice the weeks before his injury going on JLs comments. I'll trust they aren't silly enough to change that forwardline anytime soon, club legend or not.

Read theroar article. Seems banners had a specific role to play.

..played a selfless role, pushing up hard to both wings but otherwise by and large maintaining his width and drawing a defender, as evidenced by just seven disposals.

..played a selfless role, pushing up hard to both wings but otherwise by and large maintaining his width and drawing a defender, as evidenced by just seven disposals.
Did you read my post that literally said “I don’t agree with it and don’t advocate for it”? Yes I read the roar article, it was good.

They won’t rush him back. I agree sub is very likely outcome for Walters when fit. Wouldn’t surprised if it was a few weeks. He has been sub already this year and also filled sub role in 2023.

JOM started the year slowly but is doing his role week in week out. Has been good for a couple of months now. JOM was sub for a few weeks so Walters can do the same.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah calling people redfaced for making an accurate judgement on a player at the time is dumb, people can't see into the future.
Yes but...It wasn't accurate,
It was a one dimensional snapshot, and transitory picture, which has proven incomplete, vindicating his selection.
A footy club is not just what we see on game day, thanks be.
Also no need for redfaces unless for passion.

Last edited:

he wants us to lose Banners so we can sell him off

Got to admit that I haven’t paid a lot of close attention to Jager’s tenure at Freo. How has he gone and what would you grade him A-E?

No way. Walters offers elite kicks and not much else and he has to actually get the ball to kick it.

He's been C on average (at best) up until about 6 weeks ago.

I'd say he's about a B+ since then (in his role).
Yeah, just read through his stats for this season which are certainly C grade at best. His stats say that his best game of this season was against the Suns and second best game was against the Saints.

Yeah, just read through his stats for this season which are certainly C grade at best. His stats say that his best game of this season was against the Suns and second best game was against the Saints.
Has played a mix of wing, tagger and half back. Small stints inside. Floating/resting forward when on the wing.

Stats aren't everything for his impact out there this year. Took him a while to get up to speed with the positional change and the interrupted preseason.

Trade went from possibly lose/lose start of the year to Hawks getting a massive win with Meek to Freo getting what they needed out of it as well in the space of half a season.

Playing his role perfectly at the moment and acting as a great bridge between Fyfe/Walters and the next lot. Stoked for Meek, think Serong wad spotted having a coffee with him this morning so he might have even stuck around a day to catch up with mates.

Honestly thought his best game for the season was against Sydney two days ago. Just played his role well.

Stats aren't always accurate but they probably are for the other two games you've mentioned.

Trade went from possibly lose/lose start of the year to Hawks getting a massive win with Meek to Freo getting what they needed out of it as well in the space of half a season.

Playing his role perfectly at the moment and acting as a great bridge between Fyfe/Walters and the next lot. Stoked for Meek, think Serong wad spotted having a coffee with him this morning so he might have even stuck around a day to catch up with mates.
Loving Meek, thank you Freo, he’s a giant. I’m sure both players are glad to be home.

Remove this Banner Ad

Welcome Welcome Jaeger O'Meara!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back